Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Want a big block nitro

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:45 PM
magnum_junior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want a big block nitro

So, I decided I really want a truck for bashing. I was set on the SavageXL but everything I've read says the motor is sub-par. I don't know enough about the MGT 8.0 or LST XXL yet to make a decision on them.
If price wasn't an issue, which big block nitro truck (not necessarily ones I listed) would you get and why?
Old 06-26-2009, 07:31 PM
jikkuria

Default RE: Want a big block nitro

i personally would go for the xxl. it has a great radio, really good motor for a rtr, and is a tough and eliable truck.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:59 PM
chaserogesr14

If you chose to get the savage xl stock up on mid range screws. Yea I'd go with the lst xxl too.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:45 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

huh i geuss i never hit post, i had a good rant going on this thread... more of a ramble

if you go for the XL i'd just sell the motor, and pipe, from what i've heard go for the lrp .28 or .30 with an ofna or dynamite pipe, 053 or 086 the 086 is more for top end,

or the XXL, while its name should be like XXX or XXXL cuz just XXL is kinda lame IMO but a good truck i'd like to try one out

the lug
Old 06-26-2009, 10:32 PM
ilanstylz
My Feedback: (12)

To me the best bashers are the Savage XL or the MGT 8.0.............. Either one of those I think would be well worth it, the XXL is nice and great, but I still feel the XL or 8.0 are better for bashing........
Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Sugafree

The 454 in the XXl is the Same as the LRP Spec 3 (Pretty much the Best Engine you'll find in a RTR) And it just as Tough if not Tougher than the Savage XL......(Don't know much about the MGT)
Old 06-26-2009, 11:52 PM
MadManAndrew

Savage X is still the best around in my opinion. Go with it.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:03 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Losi XXL for sure. It'll be faster, tougher, have a better radio, and handle better - MUCH better...
Old 06-27-2009, 01:27 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too would recommend the XXL. Great truck and great radio.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:43 PM
bigairlife

ya the xxl handles SO much better than the savage xl and the mgt 8.0 combined. plus its faster and slightly more durable than the savage IMO. the mgt's drivetrain is kinda weak and the savage's engine is like u said "sub-par".
Old 06-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

An MGT 8.0 drivetrain is far from weak!!! Supposedly, you need to shim the diffs in them, but I've got gallons of nitro through mine and haven't had a single problem. It's also insanely tough. Their are a couple of mods you can make that are worth while, but definitely not mandatory. The MGT 8.0 is going to lose in the handling department to the XXL, but I think it's a tougher truck all around and the engine makes WAY more power. I would either go with the 8.0 or the XXL if it were me. If you plan on racing than the XXL is probably your best bet, but if you're just going to be bashing around the 8.0 is the way to go. Also, my MGT 8.0 handles AWESOME on a track now, but I've done a little work to it to get it there. I can drive it on a 1/10th scale track now with no problems.

Here are the mods I made to my MGT 8.0: NOVA head(definitely not mandatory, but worth it), RPM A-arms, FT aluminium shock caps, FT titanium turnbuckles(only got them because I found them on ebay for like $15 or something so I couldn't pass it up), dual tanks(just for longer run times between refueling), Kimbrough servo saver, and some progressive rate springs. I drove it for a LONG time before I did most of these mods with almost no troubles. I just wanted to take the truck to the next level. I'll post a couple of links below showing the MGT's toughness and power in comparison to a Savage.

Here is one that's a tug of war between an XL and an 8.0. The XL can't even touch the 8.0!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShQN11HGj98

Here's some video of an MGT 4.6, which isn't even as tough as the 8.0, doing some insane jumping!! I belive it's bone stock except for the pipe!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmoQW6YS0Ks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORPic...eature=related
Old 07-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Airbus 9e

ORIGINAL: Sugafree

The 454 in the XXl is the Same as the LRP Spec 3 (Pretty much the Best Engine you'll find in a RTR) And it just as Tough if not Tougher than the Savage XL......(Don't know much about the MGT)
ditto....I think the XXL is one of the best out there right now.....the only bad thing about it is the stock body is butt-ugly....hehe
Old 07-01-2009, 01:04 PM
bigairlife

vote goes to xxl. i own both losi and hpi trucks (lst2 and savage X) and both are great trucks. But the lst2 handles SO much better and in my opinion is more durable. I've also driven a mgt 8.0 and i hafta say that the lst2 beats it in the same ways. i think savages and mgt are great trucks...losi's are just better for overall bashing. if you want a pretty durable truck and dont care about handling or about shimming diffs every couple of runs, go for the savage. if u want great handling and a really durable truck then xxl is ur best bet IMO
Old 07-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Blade-breaker
My Feedback: (4)

This post is EXACTLY what I was going to search for on my lunch break today. I have not even looked at the Losi XXL but after looking on there site I like it alot. The fact it has reverse is another great bonus. My LHS has been pushing me to get the Traxxas truck Tmaxx 3.3. The guy there says its the best but he doesnt seem to know any facts on why it is the best.... Is the Tmaxx 3.3 any good?

I think after reading this I will get the Losi XXL, I agree completely about the Radio being by far the best that I have seen on a RTR! And the fact that you all like the engine is even better! The truck definitely needs to be tough also.

I will give my LHS a chance at selling me the truck but I would like to get some pricing info before I go talk to him. Where is a good place to buy this truck?

Also I like to stock spare parts for the toys I have, is there anything you would recommend that I get to have in my tool box. How about aftermarket parts, is there a good selection of parts for the XXL?

Thanks for all the info
Ryan
Old 07-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Sugafree

The XXL is $599 here with Free Shipping, http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=LOSB0016!1002

and as far as After market Parts 99% of the LST2 Hop ups will fit it.....

The Main Hop ups that I would recommend would be a Engine Brace (The Stock one is made from Cast Metal and will Crack when you start doing Big Jumps)

This is a Good Replacement,
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7837

And Not Necessarily Needed (But Nice to have...As it Sucks having to Change Parts if you Smack into sometime when Bashing) is the New Era Steering Knuckles, http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...edh∂_id=3078

Other than that it's a Pretty Solid Truck with a Great Engine/Radio/Handling & is Very Easy to work on........
Old 07-01-2009, 02:11 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: Blade-breaker

This post is EXACTLY what I was going to search for on my lunch break today. I have not even looked at the Losi XXL but after looking on there site I like it alot. The fact it has reverse is another great bonus. My LHS has been pushing me to get the Traxxas truck Tmaxx 3.3. The guy there says its the best but he doesnt seem to know any facts on why it is the best.... Is the Tmaxx 3.3 any good?

I think after reading this I will get the Losi XXL, I agree completely about the Radio being by far the best that I have seen on a RTR! And the fact that you all like the engine is even better! The truck definitely needs to be tough also.

I will give my LHS a chance at selling me the truck but I would like to get some pricing info before I go talk to him. Where is a good place to buy this truck?

Also I like to stock spare parts for the toys I have, is there anything you would recommend that I get to have in my tool box. How about aftermarket parts, is there a good selection of parts for the XXL?

Thanks for all the info
Ryan
Your LHS guy was lying to you. Hobby shops make ALOT of their money on replacement parts and the T-Maxx if VERY fragile, so alot of dishonest guys at hobby shops will push pretty hard for you to get a T-Maxx because that's one more person who will be coming in for parts after every time they run, and more parts sold=More money...
Old 07-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Blade-breaker

ORIGINAL: the JoKeR

ORIGINAL: Blade-breaker

Thanks for all the info
Ryan
Your LHS guy was lying to you. Hobby shops make ALOT of their money on replacement parts and the T-Maxx if VERY fragile, so alot of dishonest guys at hobby shops will push pretty hard for you to get a T-Maxx because that's one more person who will be coming in for parts after every time they run, and more parts sold=More money...
Thanks for the opinion on the T-Maxx. I kinda thought that was the angle he was working, to bad he doesnt realize that honesty to me is the best way to get my money!!! I really try to support the local guys because I like having someone close to get parts from for my planes and other stuff, but I guess I need to watch him close..

Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 PM
magnum_junior

SugaFree..the link you posted for the brace is the same as the XXL rtr link.

For now, I managed to get my Hot Bodies Dirt Demon running. Must have been in storage for 6 or 7 years. It had a cracked one-way bearing when it was barely even broke in and I never touched it again. I will keep the DD for sentimental reasons and bash the XXL.

I went down to my LHS and asked for a price on the XXL and the guy said he would call me with it and never did. Looks like I will be ordering one soon. Thanks all for the help in steering me in the right direction!
Old 07-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Sugafree

ORIGINAL: magnum_junior

My Bad[X(] I just Fixed the Link.....
Old 07-02-2009, 01:14 AM
Blade-breaker

ORIGINAL: magnum_junior

For now, I managed to get my Hot Bodies Dirt Demon running. Must have been in storage for 6 or 7 years. It had a cracked one-way bearing when it was barely even broke in and I never touched it again. I will keep the DD for sentimental reasons and bash the XXL.

I went down to my LHS and asked for a price on the XXL and the guy said he would call me with it and never did. Looks like I will be ordering one soon. Thanks all for the help in steering me in the right direction!

I stopped down at my LHS and he said that he could sell it for $20 less than Horrizon. I think $669. I like to support the local guy but not for $70.00 Called him this afternoon and asked him to match Ultimate's price. He did. It will be here next Wed.