Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

One way bearing gone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 12:14 AM
Savage_Dias

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One way bearing gone?

I've been reading through a few searches trying to figure out what happened to my engine & I think I've narrowed it down to a blown one way bearing. Tell me what you think....

I ran a quick check over my Savage (tightened wheel nuts, glo plug, checked radio, glanced at air filter, grimaced at what is left of the top fin on my head) then fueled it up & went outside. I primed the engine then gave a few slow tugs on my pull start without putting on the glo starter. I turned my radio on then manually opened my carb about 1/4 of the way. I put my glo starter on then gave a quick short tug on my pullstart & my engine starts with no problem. I give it about 3 seconds then back the throttle off & give it a chance to idle while I cap my glo starter & put it in my pocket. Next I turn my truck on & it idles down a bit more. I touch the throttle it dies on me. When I put the glo starter back on & tug the pull cord I feel no resistance at all. I took my glo plug out & the piston isn't moving, even if I roll the truck. Suggestions?
Old 06-28-2003, 03:39 AM
Savage_Dias

Come on.... With all the knowledge around here someone should be able to at least back me up or totally throw my guess out the window.

BTW I can turn the flywheel with my hand & my piston will move. I can even hear it pushing air through the exhaust on the down stroke.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:57 AM
waverave
My Feedback: (3)

The piston wont move if you roll the truck...only if you turn the engine.
It could be either fuel/oil on the bearing shaft causing it to slip (most likely) or the bearing is just bad (also very likely).
Just pull the pullstarter assy off and inspect/clean. Check the bearing and see if it is indeed ruined. Just manually turn it on the shaft and see if it grabs.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:21 PM
RCFreakInFL
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

It's pretty easy to check if it's the 1 way. Like he said, just take the pull starter off the back, take that 1 way, stick it on the shaft. Turn it I guess clockwise, if it grabs that way, and then spins freely counter-clockwise, then it's fine. You might have some excess oil on the shaft that came through where the seal is, causing it to slip. You should keep a couple of these on hand....they do go occasionally!

1 guy on here, told me to soak the bearing in denatured alcohol for a couple hours....as sometimes particles can get into the "sealed" bearing.....and if that's the case, I would replace it anyway!
Old 06-29-2003, 11:24 PM
Savage_Dias

Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping I can get to my Savage either tonight or tomorrow. I really didn't want to take apart my engine & not have a good reason for it. I keep getting a picture flashing through my mind of my pull start spring flying off. Do I need anything to reseal my pull start (liquid gasket) after I take it off?
Old 06-29-2003, 11:27 PM
RCFreakInFL
Banned

Originally posted by Savage_Dias
Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping I can get to my Savage either tonight or tomorrow. I really didn't want to take apart my engine & not have a good reason for it. I keep getting a picture flashing through my mind of my pull start spring flying off. Do I need anything to reseal my pull start (liquid gasket) after I take it off?
Your spring won't come flying off, and you don't need to seal up the pull-start.....it will seal itself fine. The motor is sealed up anyway, regardless of the pull start.....it just has an extended shaft that reaches out beyond the casings so the 1-way has somewhere to ride on. There's really nothing to worry about....it's pretty idiot proof (although....)

Old 06-30-2003, 12:53 AM
cemeb4dk

If you have excess oil on your shaft, your o ring is probably bad. You should probably reaplce that to since you have the engine out and oull start off. Just my two cents worth.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:49 AM
Savage_Dias

Great info RCFreakInFL! I like have a good picture of what I'm getting into before I dig in. Idiot proof... perfect... I was hoping for something a little easier. lol

O Ring... Guess I'd better add the to my wish list at Tower. Just out of curiosity... Where is all this extra oil coming from. Is it natural wear or a good sign that I'm running WAY too rich?
Old 06-30-2003, 03:04 AM
RCFreakInFL
Banned

Originally posted by Savage_Dias
Great info RCFreakInFL! I like have a good picture of what I'm getting into before I dig in. Idiot proof... perfect... I was hoping for something a little easier. lol

O Ring... Guess I'd better add the to my wish list at Tower. Just out of curiosity... Where is all this extra oil coming from. Is it natural wear or a good sign that I'm running WAY too rich?
It's excess castor oil that sits down in your crankcase, that seeps its way through the o-ring.....it can happen from sitting, or from useage.....the oring is cheap, like 2-3$ I think, and I know Tower has them!
Old 07-01-2003, 01:32 AM
Savage_Dias

Good info once again RCFreakInFL! It's nice to know that the excess oil isn't a sign of a major problem.

I finally got around to taking my engine apart & I found out I'm dealing with a little more than a blown one way. Here's some of the message I posted on HPI's forum.

I did a little research & thought that my one way bearing was bad. Once I got the engine out I noticed that the back plate was loose. I thread locked it after I took the pull start off. After I took the starter / bearing out & cleaned them I still couldn't get them to catch BUT I noticed a very distinct rattle coming from inside the block. This isn't good, right? Anyway, once I got the back plate off I found a small, slightly mangled spring. And as luck would have it, I found a small pin upon further inspection. By now I know these are the starting pin & pressure spring (part 1433).

The parts will probably get ordered tonight & I'll thread lock the backplate when I get everything back together. I mentioned to HPI that I thread locked the screws I could easily get to but didn't even consider taking the engine out to thread lock screws on it. Are there any other areas I might want to glance at while I'm cleaning & waiting on the FedEx man?
Old 07-01-2003, 06:31 AM
cemeb4dk

Mine was the same way, in my stock 21. I went to start it an no tension on my pullstart, so i thought pullstart broke, took engine out and back plate was loose, HPI never loctited the hex bolts. Maybe we had the same mechanic put ours together...
Old 07-02-2003, 02:32 AM
Savage_Dias

It's a possibility. I'm guessing they were in too big of a hurry to do it right. I really don't like the idea of buying a RTR so I can take it apart & locktight the whole thing so I can run it.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:06 PM
toe1626

Default RE: One way bearing gone?

nybody know the easiest way of replacing the the starting pin.
same **** happened to me, i thought it was the backplate gears or one way bearing but it's the pin and spring.
any help would be nice! thanks.
my trucks 2 days old, it broke in mint and just stopped and i could never start it up.