Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Savage, T-Maxx or what?

Old 06-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Lama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage, T-Maxx or what?

I tried to order a T-Maxx this week but it's out of stock in all the online-stores (should be a good sign, but nobody can give me a date when they will be available). The Savage is available and apparently not so bad a choice for simply bashing around.

After reading some post I would like to know:

1.) How much slower is the Savage compared to the T-Maxx?
>> Just read 32 vs. 42
2.) What are the main differences?
3.) What are the main problems with the Savage? I'm planning to keep it mostly stock.
2.) What would you suggest - waiting for Traxxas to deliver or buying at HPI?

Thanks in advance!

Martin
Old 06-27-2003, 12:34 PM
Unstable

Default Re: Savage, T-Maxx or what?

Originally posted by Lama
I tried to order a T-Maxx this week but it's out of stock in all the online-stores (should be a good sign, but nobody can give me a date when they will be available). The Savage is available and apparently not so bad a choice for simply bashing around.

After reading some post I would like to know:

1.) How much slower is the Savage compared to the T-Maxx?
>> Just read 32 vs. 42
yup... but unless you are driving on the pavement in a stright line then you wont really notice a diffrence

2.) What are the main differences?
t-maxx:
"pan" chassis
2 speed and reverse
EZ start
slighly smaller

Savage:
Built up chassis
2 speed (reverse optional)
pull start
larger

3.) What are the main problems with the Savage? I'm planning to keep it mostly stock.
dogbones in the first run were weak. this seems to be solved in the later models.

wheels seem to strip out. any aftermarket rim should solve this.

engine floods easy esp during break in, just be careful starting

engine leans out after half tank. tune with half tank then fill up.. or do one of the tank mods that are a out there.

2.) What would you suggest - waiting for Traxxas to deliver or buying at HPI?
personally I like the savage. it is durable and handles great. aside from some teething problems it has had its a great truck for bashing and jumping and can be made to compete on the track also.

as for waiting... if you really want the t-maxx then wait... if you think you would enjoy the savage as much go for it. it really comes down to a matter of prefrence... asking "which is better" will only get you into a pepsi vs coke style debate.

Thanks in advance!

Martin
Old 06-29-2003, 03:49 AM
Kyoshokiller

Another one to consider might be the Terra Crusher. TC is often overlooked when it comes to good all around bashing trucks. From everything I've read it's every bit as good as both the HPI and Traxxas. Also has Electric Start and Reverse.
Between the 2 I'd have to go with the Savage but neither are really my cup a tea
Old 06-29-2003, 01:22 PM
remten2001

The only probs the terra crusher has is the crappy engine and crappy reverse....It can be easilly fixed by buying a .21 conversion and a FOC converision...and ditch the stock tires and get some savage tires with some RPM off set wheels and proline ultra firm tire foam.....

With that set up I can tell you it would give a savage or tmaxx a good run for its money....

That is the set up I have in mine and and on the track it is very predictable compare to the savage....And its bigger than a savage or tmaxx...

but if you can't wait i would get the savage for the simple reason that its already a .21 platform to start with...And will save you thousands of dollars down the road over the maxx if you ever plan on putting a .21 in the tmaxx....
Old 06-29-2003, 01:40 PM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

I like the Terra Crusher, stock, but sluggish motor. Might do a .21 conversion on one of them, toss in a New Era radio plate, and I've read the TC's elec starter bolts onto XTM 24.7 (and a few others like GS 21B01 and OFNA Force P4s).

The stock tires aren't that great, no foam but like I said I still like the TC in stock form, not one thing has broken yet while the Maxx & MW has broken several things on each run.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:23 PM
Kyoshokiller

Yeah the artical in RC Car where the guy is modding his TC was what I was thinking of. That's the one with the 24.7 and those massive new Pro Line tires.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:35 AM
tjmaxx

Just wate for the T-maxx you wont regret it. I have had mine for nine months and I love it as much as I did the first day I got it. It is really fast and durable it can take a good beating. I love mine so much but I wanted to also get an electric so I bought an E-maxx and it is also sweet. So now I have a T-maxx and an E-maxx.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:08 AM
monst@r

Savage. The T-Maxx will break a lot from big jumps.