Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Hopping up Savage

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hopping up Savage

I think i am going to hop up my savage. I was thinking GPM parts, such as lower arms, upper arms, bulkheads, and shock towers, then Hot Bodies aluminum racing shocks (the purple ones). Would this be worth it? Would i lose much speed from the added weight, or would there even be any? Also, the GPM parts are alloy. What is the difference between alloy and aluminum?
Thanks
Old 06-30-2003, 04:12 AM
cemeb4dk

In my opinion the only thing bad with aluminum or alloy parts is that they don't break like plastic pieces they bend, and once they are bent they are history. I would rather pay 5.00 to buy a new upright then 20 + dollars, and also at least with plastic the part that breaks takes the shock of the hit or crash, where with metal it is going to transfer up til it finds a weak spot. Again this is just my opinion.

It also depends on your driving style, are you a basher or just cruise around. I think for bashing plastic is great, for just cruising or show aluminum is the way to go. As far as weight I have a friend that has 2 t maxx's one stock and one all aluminum not a great big weight difference.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:15 AM
waverave
My Feedback: (3)

Yeah don't waste your money for parts that are show-only.
GPM has some cool stuff but most is eye candy.
Like he said, it's much cheaper to replace a plastic part than aluminum and plastic parts rarely break.
Stick with performance upgrades if you want to hop it up.
Things like aluminum shocks, cooling head, HD dogbones, vented brakes, HD steering servo, skid plate and maybe aluminum shock towers but leave most everything else plastic to help absorb shock and keep cost down.
If you just want to show your ride off and putt around the streets then nevermind what I just said...knock yourself out.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:06 AM
Fovezer

Alloy and aluminum are the same thing. Aluminum is a type of alloy.

Don't buy GPM stuff anyways. I've only heard bad things about it. Go with New Era. And yes, some thing are best left plastic.

Another thing, before you even think about aluminum, you should think more about performance upgrades first.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:35 AM
new72Savage

one alloy upgrade i did, and it was worth every penny, was the steering linkage. I think this is a generally low impact zone and protected some what by the servo saver.

It will help u full benefit of ur 6v hump pack and hitorque servo
Old 07-01-2003, 02:17 PM
Legendary

Default Aside from the shock towers,

I have heard nothing but, good things about GPM products! They work good and look good! Plus they don't cost an arm and a leg either! As far as going all aluminum I would not do this unless your getting the quality of say a SuperMaxx product but, there are not many company's out there that make stuff that good!
Old 07-01-2003, 10:54 PM
fourwheeler

I personnally only want aluminum for protection such as skid plates and fuel tank guards but hey....that's just me.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:32 PM
remten2001

the plastic skid plate will do the same thing the aluminum does..PLus when the aluminum gets all bent and scrachy it will look like ****....

Just my 2 cent
Old 07-02-2003, 12:07 AM
fourwheeler

To each his own though.....right?
Old 07-02-2003, 01:32 AM

well i think im not going to aluminize everything anymore...im gonna get the necessary upgrades, but then save money to buy another car (buggy probably)
Old 07-02-2003, 04:01 AM
Rex2342

Some alloy stuff serves a purpose but don't go crazy like some people do.I can see upgrading things like bulkheads or steering cranks and small stuff but a-arms and shock towers will bend and break.If you want alloy skid plates get the center one from New Era.It protects the brake and reverse servo but the front/rear plastic ones serve there purpose well and don't need to be upgraded.One more usefull allot peice might be the tank guard from New Era also so you won't punture the exposed tank.I see alot of guys buying ALOT of alloy stuff for there trucks and then won't drive them for fear of breaking something.Wheres the fun in that?My savage is a blast to drive and the only alloy peice I have other than stock is the steering cranks but thats because I broke my stock ones .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	90818_32219.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	52257