Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

what to do

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:25 PM
badassbusa1962

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do

OK here it goes from motorcycle forums i figure i am going to open a can of worms here i have flown and followed built and shown planes for about 10 years and am getting interested in trucks as i wont have to go near as far to take a minute and chill out might even do some racing who knows ......................... so the question is what is a good all around truck pros and cons i would probably do my own mods and maybe create some as well but need a good starting point i have been looking at some used tmax's and thinking of upgrading them to a 3.3 and also looked at the new revo 3.3 also like the sound of some of the bigger engined trucks but dont see them going much faster than the revos ....................the hobby shop by me has alot of parts on hand for the traxxas trucks and i will almost guarrantee i will be putting a supercharger or turbo on whatever i get ......................just need some good advice to start with thanks
Old 10-06-2009, 10:24 PM
army2000ng
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: what to do

Traxxas is a pretty good truck, I purchased a Traxxas T-Max with a 2.5 engine, then replaced it with a 3.3 which goes a lot faster. The 2.5 T-Max was a lot cheaper than a 3.3. I went and purchased the engine and sold the 2.5 for the same price on ebay. Even steven. I did not have to change the gears, it ran smoothly and fast. Just price both for yourself and add whatever engine you want, the suspension holds up pretty good on jumps. You can even go with the redcat earthquake 3.5 it also runs pretty good. I am not trying to sell you anything just answering your question. An HPi is also good for bashing. Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:09 AM
badassbusa1962

yes thanks i have been looking at the videos on youtube on the different trucks and the hpi looks fast and looks like it takes a beating but we have a hobbytown usa here local and they have everything under the sun in stock for a traxxas trucks so that might be a faster way to go to be able to repair or upgrade and thanks again
Old 10-07-2009, 09:20 AM
army2000ng
My Feedback: (3)

i JUST SAW ONE ON RC UNIVERSE FOR $250.00 IT IS A 2.5, BUT CAN BE CONVERTED TO A 3.3 THE ITEM NUMBER IS 557870. TAKE A LOOK. IT'S NOT MINE, BUT LOOKS GOOD. HERE IS A PICTURE OF MINE.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43917.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1290186  
Old 10-07-2009, 03:09 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Associated Monster GT is about as close to bulletproof as an RC truck can be. In almost five years, I've never broken anything major on mine. It's plenty fast, especially with a good motor.

If you're stuck on Traxxas(nothing wrong with that, I guess), evaluate whether you want something which will be more of a racer, with the emphasis on handling and control, or more of a traditional monster truck for big jumps, running over stuff, speed runs, etc. This will steer you toward the Revo(racer) or T-Maxx(basher/monster) platforms. This is not to say that both trucks can't do either, it's just playing to their strengths.

Anyway, if picking up a used Maxx, be wary of what version it is; some of the earlier ones are not so great with respect to durability. Of course, this is in addition to looking out for the usual used vehicle problems with broken/worn out parts, etc.

Finally, don't waste your hard earned money on a supercharger unless you fully understand that forced induction is a lot of effort for very little gain in open port rotary valve two strokes, making it essentially a showpiece. You'd be better off buying a stronger motor and/or optimizing for high nitro content fuel.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:15 PM
driller2948

I 2nd both the MGT 8.0 or Savage XL. Dump the stock engines. Engine suggestions Picco P3 .28, Lrp .28 or Lrp .30. The Go engines are comming on strong, as an option.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:55 PM
needanswerslol

i watch youtube videos with trucks that have superchargers and from what i see superchargers on rc cars do hardly anything at all, am i correct?

Old 03-24-2011, 03:30 PM
ilanstylz
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: needanswerslol

i watch youtube videos with trucks that have superchargers and from what i see superchargers on rc cars do hardly anything at all, am i correct?

There are very very few that will say it is worth it, but the majority will tell you its worthless........