Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

My list - opinions welcomed

Old 07-02-2003, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My list - opinions welcomed

Ok right now the only hop up i have on my savage is a hyper 8 port. Initially i was thinking of aluminizing the whole truck, but now i thinks thats just a waste. So now im thinking of buying only upgrades that will increase performance. Here is a list of items i am thinking about buying. Please tell me if they are all good or bad products, or if there is something better out there, or if I am missing something off my list.
1. High torque servo (any ideas on what one?)
2. Big joe tires (will i have to change gearing, or will a high torque servo be enough to run these tires?)
3. A new tuned pipe (im thinking the hot bodies pipe, or is there a better pipe for the 8 port?)
4. Hot Bodies racing shocks
5. Upgraded air filter (which one?)
6. 3 shoe clutch
7. New body

So am i missing something? If someone could answer even a few of my questions that would be great.
Thanks alot
Old 07-02-2003, 09:37 PM
cemeb4dk

hers my 2 cents worth.

I run the hitech 645 Mt high torque servo for steering, and run my stock steering one for my throttle. i paid like 45.00 for the servo

Big Joe tires are a waste in my opinion I have them and can't stand them, many people at the track have my same opinion that i run at. (remember thats just my opion) I'll sell ya mine there are just slightly used.if you really want them

I run the rdlogic 1 piece pipe. 59.00 shipped from hpisavageforum.com. Good high end and sounds great

I would stick with the stock shocks, havn;t heard of any problems, i heard in the HB the shafts are weak.

Motor saver is good, just buy the gs racing rubber couplers the smaller of the two kinds, so that you can extend it over your spur gear and in the roll cage.

i run the mugen 3 shoe clutch and flywheel (kit form acehardwarehobies.com for like 28.00, and a ofna 16 t clutch bell
If you go with this set up buy the ofna clutch nut and shim kit.
Sorry for a long response..Hope this helps
Old 07-02-2003, 09:58 PM
Justintoxicated

stop by savage-central.com and read the forums, lots of great hopups there

Im waiting for the new Tsias Pipe to get review the thing looks amazing for a good price, otherwise i hear the RB 086 is a great pipe probably better than the CVEC right now, im waiting for the Tsias revew though...

Motosaver is great. I bought a $1 hose clamp to prevent it from hitting the spur, it installs with the stock rubber fine if you push it off to the side, but even with a ziptie I found it moved a bit so I used 1 $1 hose clamp and have had no problems since. or you can buy a different spacer or use an exhaust thingy from a nitro sport or rustler.

For wheels I guess you can get the special wheel adapters from www.savage-central.com if you REALLY want to go all out, and then you can run the velocity rims. Im probably just going to get a set of HB or RPM's myself since I still have the stocker engine...the wheel adapters are $32 I believe.

the HB racing shocks (not the threaded ones) look as if they are exactly the same as the stockers only made of aluminum. Id get these over the threaded shocks as i hear the shafts bend easy on them, the guy at my LHS says the threaded shocks are the best, but when I asked why they were not on his truck he said he broke 4 shafts LMAO (sure they are the best buddy) It looks like if you use the racing version they may be somewhat interchangable with the stock parts if anything is weak but don't take my word on it. Ill proably upgrade the shocks last and jsut get some different springs and shock oil myself.

I want to get the high torque digital servos for $100 but ill never have that much cash for a servo so ill probably end up with the one mentioned above, then all rotate the other 2 using the stock throttle servo for reverse mod.

1 thing not listed on your list is the dual tank mod. I figured I'd check it out for $4 and it has made the largest difference. The truck can run through a whole tank of gas upside down, It accelerates faster, runs cooler and richer (alot more smoke but also more preformance) and it solves the 1/2 tank lean issue, I can run through a whole tank of gas without tuning or running lean on the the second 1/2 tank...if you notice when you get to just under a 1/2 tank your truck runs faster, this is why.

if you don't have the hump pack and failsafe get those too. My first mods were motosaver (a must stock filter is compleat junk and much too small), fuel filter, hump pack failsafe, HD dogbones all the way around (setscrews tend to fall out of the CVD's even if you add a second one) and dual tank mod.

You should also probably get a different clutch bell to get more outa that engine.

These are the things I would get first My next upgrade is wheels 1 of my wheel fell off right over the wheel nut thatholds it on, a added a washer and it seems to hold, But i hear the hexes will go on them shortly anyways. POS stock rims!

Also a good idea to locktight the tranny set screw in the transmition.

got my hump pack and failsafe here, I think I got a bad cell int he hump but they said they would ship me anotehr and refund me the shipping I spend sending it back cost
Old 07-02-2003, 10:14 PM

Where can i get the dual tank mod?
Why dont you like the big joes?
Do i need an adaptor to use big joes?
What is the difference between the 063 and 086 pipes? which ones better?
Old 07-02-2003, 10:30 PM
Justintoxicated

Originally posted by 987982
Where can i get the dual tank mod?
Why dont you like the big joes?
Do i need an adaptor to use big joes?
What is the difference between the 063 and 086 pipes? which ones better?
some people say the 063 is more for bottem end but Im not sure, from the manufacturer it says the 063 is less top speed less torque (?) but better on fuel usage. id get the 086, but thats just me I just want fast I don't care about fuel...The other pipe is supposed tobe a little better in both catagories but gets less on fuel usage so it probaly eats more gas, get the motosaver air filter if you get the pipe.

I the adapters are for the rims so they should never strip again. there is a post on savage-central http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic758.html

the dual tank mod is basicaly an airplane header tank, the savage-central store sells them 4.25 for a hayes header tank and clunk, you have to make the bracket yourself, check the hopups forum on savage central, i just did mine this week so you can look at my post also. If you look long enough some found a tank and bracket for $16 online at some helicopter store, but I just made my own. (about $6 total)
I slipped while drilling the holes heh which is why the arent compleatly center, im going to make another bracket though and I got the screws and lock nuts at home depot.

BTW im a newb but i have learned alot in the last 3 weeks since there is nothing to do at work I just brows and post in forums heh.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:24 AM

thanks for the help
What will happen to the 40 series wheels if i use them? What are other peoples opinions on big joes? I dont want to get them if they are gonna give me lots of problems...
Old 07-03-2003, 04:35 AM
Rex2342

I have them on my savage and there great!!!!The on thing you should no is that the Big Joes slow the truck down a bit.They are really big!!!! I didn't think they would be as big as they were but they are great for traction on dirt and work on road too.If I might make a suggestion about the Hot Bodies shock set...Don't get them!IMHO they aren't really worth the money.I have them on mine and ended up having to use the stock shock shafts becuase mine bent off a little 2 feet of air!!!Get the New Era Super Heavy Duty Springs and just use the Stock shocks http://www.neweramodels.com/cgi-bin/...s&part_id=1699
Old 07-03-2003, 04:54 AM
pimp*n*ator

listen to da man
Old 07-03-2003, 06:04 AM
skydalimit
My Feedback: (1)

what does that 2 tank mod do
Old 07-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Justintoxicated

Originally posted by Rex2342
I have them on my savage and there great!!!!The on thing you should no is that the Big Joes slow the truck down a bit.They are really big!!!! I didn't think they would be as big as they were but they are great for traction on dirt and work on road too.If I might make a suggestion about the Hot Bodies shock set...Don't get them!IMHO they aren't really worth the money.I have them on mine and ended up having to use the stock shock shafts becuase mine bent off a little 2 feet of air!!!Get the New Era Super Heavy Duty Springs and just use the Stock shocks http://www.neweramodels.com/cgi-bin/...s&part_id=1699
the threaded shocks or the race shocks? the race shocks look exactly like stock and it appears they have nterchangable parts...please let me know.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:26 PM
Rex2342

I have the threaded shocks from Hot Bodies.They are the silver ones with an aluminuim threaded shock body.The shock bodies are nice but the shafts bent easily and the springs are no stiffer than the stock ones.I am using the stock shock shafts with my threaded bodies now but the stock shafts were a little longer than the Hot Bodies ones and I had to use the little pistons from the Hot bodies shocks because the stock ones were to big.I'm basicaly using the stock shocks but with the Hot Bodies threaded shock body and it wasn't worth the 80$ I dropped on these for just shock bodies.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Justintoxicated

Originally posted by Rex2342
I have the threaded shocks from Hot Bodies.They are the silver ones with an aluminuim threaded shock body.The shock bodies are nice but the shafts bent easily and the springs are no stiffer than the stock ones.I am using the stock shock shafts with my threaded bodies now but the stock shafts were a little longer than the Hot Bodies ones and I had to use the little pistons from the Hot bodies shocks because the stock ones were to big.I'm basicaly using the stock shocks but with the Hot Bodies threaded shock body and it wasn't worth the 80$ I dropped on these for just shock bodies.
oh ok, im lookign for feedback on Hot Bodies new racing shocks, the ones that look exactly like stock ones only aluminum. Im wonderng if HB got them right this time...Look good so far, but I havent heard much about them
Old 07-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Rex2342

I just saw them on Towers site and they look pretty good but that price tag is still a little steep.There should be a company that just sells shock bodies for the savage that way it won't cost you your arm and both your legs for new shocks.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:55 PM

Rex, have you had any problems with big joes stripping wheels? Have you had any problems with them at all? Other people have told me that they strip easily and i should stay away from them.
Also, is a hitec 645 enough to steer the big joes?
What will a 16 t clutch bell change on an 8 port? will it go faster? what is stock?
thanks
Old 07-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Rex2342

I'm running a Hyper21 8 port with an Ofna 16T clutchbell and a Mugen 3shoe clutch setup and it great.I've had the Big Joes on for a while now and they havn't stripped yet and aren't showing any signs of stripping any time soon.I'm also using the HPI clamp on wheel hubs but you just have to make sure the wheels nuts are tight after every tank of fuel and they won't strip out.The stock clutchbell is a 14T and I couldn't get it to work on my 8 port but probably could have with more shims but I didn't look right so I went with the 16T instead.The Hitec 645 will steer the Big Joes but I found it to be rather slow so I used the Hitec945 instead and just used the 645 for throttle and brake.Everyone said it was overkill to use that servo for throttle and brake brake it's a BIG truck and goes to fast not to have the added braking power.The radio I use lets me adjust the servo throw so I set it so it won't pull the carb open any farther than it should and just left the brake and full throw.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:28 PM

oh one more thing. What style servo do i get if i am using the stock tf-4 radio. The S/JR/Z or the J style servo?
Thanks
Old 07-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Rex2342

I believe they're the J style connectors.The radio was made by Futaba I think so I'm pretty sure thats what they are.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:39 PM

k thanks