Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Dirt Demon vs. Savage

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 08:08 PM
RippinXC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt Demon vs. Savage

I am looking to buy an truck and have been flipping back and forth between the Savage and the Dirt Demon. I like the DD because it comes with the starter, reverse and the bigger engine but I like that the Savage has been around the block and is pretty bullet proof at this point and there are so many parts available. My brother has a TMaxx and I would like to be as fast or faster than him and i know that the Savage is not as fast. What do you think of the DD in terms of future support and current likes and dislikes? Thanks for the help!
Old 07-10-2003, 08:15 PM
elway358

I looked at and drove the DD at my LHS a few eeks ago and was not impressed. I am currently a Savage and Maxx owner and Now that I have the Picco .26 in the Savage, it rules the roost. The Maxx cant do nothing with it anymore! The DD looks very cheaply made and easily broken to me, and dont think just because it has that .26 its a power monster. That .26 felt nothing like the Picco. As for the rotostart, and reverse, those are also now on my .26 Savage. How many rollovers do you think its gonna take to break those DD towers...Not many. Just not a very good ride in my opinion. You may have to spend a little more money on the Savage, but then you've got what is in my opinion, the best MT there is
Old 07-10-2003, 08:30 PM
RippinXC

I see your point but I really do not see myself spending lots of money to upgrade whatever it is that I buy. I know you can get AL posts of of Ebay for the DD if the stock ones break. For the money stock compared to stock what do you think? I am probably only going to race around on the street, backyard and occasionally dirt fields with some jumps and stuff. Was the 26 faster or slower than the stock BB21 or stock 2.5 TMaxx... I know the Picco is great but chances are slim that I would ever upgrade to one so that is of no importance to me.

Why exactly do you think it was "cheap" its seems like most of the components are fairly heavy duty compared to alot of stock truck, but I would like your opinion. I know the bumpers are sort of crappy but I can fab up some new ones.

Still curious
Old 07-10-2003, 08:45 PM
elway358

LOL, yeah, I forgot about that George Foreman grill front bumper I guess I'm just hooked on the Savage after owning one. As far as the speed, the .26 on the DD did not seem too much faster than the old .21 that was on the Savage, and was definately slower than the 2.5 on the Maxx. Like I said, I'm just sold on the Savage for its whole design. The tvp chassis setup is the best looking and strongest I have seen. It just doesnt even seem righ tanymore to see a flat tray on the other trucks, being used for a chassis. Also, you think you're not going to do many upgrades, but I said the same too. But as soon as something breaks, and it will with any nitro truck, you're gonna see the value of upgrading parts, and never buy a stock replacement again.

As I said , I have savage and Maxx and would love to sell my Maxx right now to buy another Savage if I could come out without losing a whole lot of cash.

The choice is yours, so good luck either way you go.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:17 PM
rookie t

Default Savage----

My ? is is it your first truck?

If so get the savage for sure.

Unless you like working on things; Alot.

I own both, the dirt demon if a longer term project. In time mine will probably kick butt.

I just recently bought the savage (8 tanks). I had more fun on the 8th tank than i have with the demon.

I'll post some video on my web site very soon. Waiting for parts for the DD, plus i need to finishing breaking n the savage.

----
Old 07-11-2003, 06:24 PM
RippinXC

yes it would be my first truck. I have had electric cars in the past and consider myself to be fairly handy mechanically speaking. I work in manufacturing and I am always around it. I am not totally sold on the DD but only wanted to know more about it from people like you who have had experiance with it, since it is so new.

Going to the other side of the size spectrum haw does the Cen MT2 compare $ for $. I know that the DD and the Savage are bigger and probably better but at the price of the MT2 I have to look twice, especially after hearing lots of good things about it.

Thanks,
Old 07-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Legendary

Default Why not wait??

If you can wait to get the Savage SS you will get one bad ***** MT! If I did not have sooooooooo much money wrapped up in my 2 .21/.25 Maxx's and Stampede and Street Force and MT Pro! I would be pre-ordering one today! The CEN MT2 looks to be well worth the cash! It's like a 4x4 Stampede with bigger tires and the Stampede is a kick ***** truck for what it is!
Old 07-11-2003, 11:15 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

I wanted to say that!! lol.

Thats EXACTLY what I was gonna say.

After some research.. I dot think the DD is worth the money AT ALL. For spending 500 on a Dd I'd wait and get the Monster GT.

Now the Savage S5 throws in a whole new ball game!
This is exactly what the market needs

In my opinion Hop ups are VERY VERY expensive. I dont like the habit of upgrading everything in my car. ITs just stupid to pour in that much money and replace everything.. everything that you paid money to get!
I'd rather get something good in the first place! Which is why I like the S5.

I think the S5 is a good deal. You can get a cheap AM transmitter for 40 bucks NEW on ebay.. why mess with that?!
I'd rather buy the S5.. put in a JR RX and use it with my existing remote!!

So.. my take is.. forget the DD! I dont think its worth it now that the S5 is out.. give it some serious thought!

I'm gonna be on the look out for people who bail their GSavages to get an S5.. IF they're desparate enough.. I might get a good deal on their old savage

Call me an opportunistic uh.. punk! :P

ram
Old 07-11-2003, 11:50 PM
cemeb4dk

why would people dump the old savage, most of them that own it and are serious probably have upgraded more than what you can get stock on the ss, I know mine is, and as far as kit form mine has been apart so many times I forgot that it was an RTR.

To get back to the main thread, the savage is great i own two, you will have to do some upgrades to make it perform as expected like hd dogbones and the steering servo, But its a great driving truck and as elway said earlier as things break then upgrade. But believe me you say you don't plan on upgrading or top speed doesn;t matter, I thought that also when i got my first truck, now i can't upgrade enough and its never fast enough, just my two cents worth
Old 07-11-2003, 11:59 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

No way man! I dont mean.. dont upgrade..

I just said.. why pay for crap and throw it away to get better stuff when you can straight up get the better one?

Thats why I'd really like to get a rolling chassis and take it from there.. It'll be only a little more cost wise but you'll get a lot more!
For a little time and shopping efford that is!

ram
Old 07-12-2003, 12:04 AM
cemeb4dk

Ok i agree with ya, because I have stuff off my second savage thats brand new, that i took off before i even started because i knew the weak point of the truck. But some people in the thread and the thread about the ss, seem to be wanting to dump their old savages for the new ss and i just dont see that point, If your new to the savgae. and you have an idea on what you want than the ss is the way to go, if your new to the hobby, i think the rtr is the way to go, gets you going right away and you learn as you go and break, then upgrade.
Old 07-12-2003, 12:05 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

No way man! I dont mean.. dont upgrade..

I just said.. why pay for crap and throw it away to get better stuff when you can straight up get the better one?

Thats why I'd really like to get a rolling chassis and take it from there.. It'll be only a little more cost wise but you'll get a lot more!
For a little time and shopping efford that is!

ram