Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Glow Plug Information Support

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 09:34 PM
Sabbot78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow Plug Information Support

Big time Newbie here to this forum and to RC Trucks in general.

I know this question my have been asked a thousand time, yet my searchs on this and other forums have not yielded much in the way of small (.25 or less) engines.

I have a old TMaxx .15, I bought it almost 4 years ago, and just took in out of storage and started to run it.

Followed the break-in per instructions, after replacing old style (air leaking) gas tank and installed new fuel line.

The question I need answered is what glow plug should I use?

I am in the average summer temp zone of 85-95F with humidity in the upper 80%+.

I am using HobbyTown Fuel 20% nitro/18% Oil.

My engine on the TMaxx is the .15, I use the Traxxas 3230 Long-Hot plug at this time.

My car seems to be in constant High Idle, and screams all over the place with just a touch of the accel.

Is my plug maybe too hot, I was thinking of going to the MC-8 plug (medium heat) or something similiar.

I am just wondering if the plug might also be the reason why my car is hard starting at times ( I am using the stock EZ-Start). Sometimes when it starts it High idles like the accel is stepped on, then it shuts down, other times it just won't start. I have check my throttle position and its at 1mm open at idle (the least it should be).

Any comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-18-2003, 01:38 AM
miserynitro
My Feedback: (8)

i was told, by a few people, when you are dealing with 20% nitro and such fuels for car, you should more than likely use a cooler plug, and in the MC-8, MC-9, supposivly it helps the engine run better and more stable... i wouldn't try a hotter plug first, but it also sounds like you are running a little on the lean side of things.... turn those needles out 1/8 of a turn, or 1/16 and see if it cools a little..
Old 07-18-2003, 02:24 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Well .15.. 20/18% I'd go with a hot plug.

I use an MC59 on a .21 30%/15%. Works pretty well.

If your car moves on idle.. sounds like your throttle servo is probbly not goin to 0 at rest. Check that first.

Yes it does sound like your running a little rich.

How does it run at high speeds? Does it have a clean trail of smoke? If it does, then Richen the LSN but 1/8s till it gurgles a LITTLE bit. Just to be on the safe side!

Remember not to tune a cold engine! Your just gonna waste your time. HEat it up by tunning it around.

Do you have a temp gun? GET ONE! For about 35-40 bucks you can get a whole different story from the engine with that magic wand!

ram
Old 07-18-2003, 03:56 PM
Sabbot78

Originally posted by BUGGIES_R_US

How does it run at high speeds? Does it have a clean trail of smoke?
Yes It has a clean smoke trail when I am at less then half throttle, when I go more then half throttle the car stalls a bit then either punches it with a clean smoke trail, or quites out. Most of the time it quites out.

I have the HSN adjusted 2.25 turns, I have been leaning it out after each "tank", as recommended by Traxxas. The LSN is at factory setting, and the throttle is at 1mm opening, and the car does not move at idle.

Do you have a temp gun?
Can you recommend one? Were should I take the reading from, and what temp should I look for? I have a stand for my Traxxas, is it safe to run the vehicle on the stand with the tires off ground, so I can fine tune it? Traxxas does not recommend it, yet most ppl I talk to seem to do it.

Other point of fact, I still seem to have an air leak after the car is warmed up. I see bubbles in the fuel line, and my exhaust spits out oil. I have installed a new fuel tank with a good o-ring, and new fuel line. My concern is the exhaust pipe. Its the stock graphite 2 piece pipe, should I change that out for a tuned pipe, or maybe even a dual exhaust pipe?