Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Venom Fail Safe

Old 07-21-2003, 10:54 PM
yrral

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venom Fail Safe

I went to my LHS to see how much a venom fail safe costs. I didn't see any and asked if they had any. they said they don't carry them b/c they don't work in some types of trucks.

what I want to know is if anyone has a Venom Fail Safe in their pro .15 T-Maxx? and if it did actually stop the truck?

Thanks in advanced,
Larry
Old 07-21-2003, 10:55 PM
yrral

Default Venom Fail Safe

*** in a stock .15 T-Maxx....meaning stock servos and anything else that would effect the fail safe.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:21 PM
elway358

Default Venom Fail Safe

I would like to hear this myself. I actually bought two failsafes at my LHS. One for my Savage and one for my Maxx. I installed then both and they worked fine on the bench testing them. Me and a buddy went to run them and I was driving my Maxx when all of a sudden it started just braking on and off. When I went over to check it out, I noticed it was flashing intermittant like an interfearance. I took the failsafe off and the truck worked with no problem. Put it back on and the same thing. Not all the time but about every three minutes or so. The one on the Savage has never had any problems.

I was wondering if there was maybe some sort of compatability problem. I havent put the Maxx one on the Savage to see if it is the failsafe. I guess its possible to get a bad one but like I said I bought them both at the same time, and have only had a problem with the one on the Maxx. Both trucks have stock receivers and transmitters.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:25 AM
yrral

Default Venom Fail Safe

ok thanks, i was going to e-mail Venom JUST to be sure.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:34 AM
elway358

Default Venom Fail Safe

Repost on here if they have anything useful to say about it. Thanks
Old 07-22-2003, 03:24 AM
Cal-Torque

Default Venom Fail Safe

I've found that failsafes work much better with nimh receiver packs. I think that most failsafes have an operating range of 4-6V, and double As just don't seem to cut it... (from my experience anyways)
Old 07-22-2003, 11:56 PM
yrral

Default Venom Fail Safe

heres a copy of the e-mail they sent me:

"Our fail safe works with all major radios and servos including the TQ-3 Traxxas radio. What your local hobby shop mite be referring to is when we released our new smaller fail safe we found out the manufacture moved a small electrical component in the way of any one using the Futaba J style plug. The Traxxas servos use this type of plug as do other ready-to-run company’s. If you look on our web site you will notice a product warning that explains the problem and how to prevent from catching the small component. Our next shipment will have the update and has been changed to prevent any other problems."

so i guess it will work
Old 07-23-2003, 01:45 PM
MyMaxx!

Default I have the Venom Fail safe and..

Love it now... Check out thier web page, there was a recall on them, the older (small new model ones, if that makes sense) pre-May ones did not have the added note that if you were using it on a Traxxas (not positive it was just a T Maxx) that you had to save the side of the connector down (the one that goes in to the Rx on the truck from the Fail Safe). If this was not done fisrt you messed it up, just drop the old one in the mail and they will send you a new one. They did it for me, completely a perfect company to deal with!
Old 07-23-2003, 02:59 PM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

Default Venom Fail Safe

Yes it will work, but you'll have to cut the "J" tab so it doesn't push the circuit inside back and damage it (I had one happen and got it RMA'd). Also as said earlier, they work far better with rechargables than alkaline, alkaline will cause voltage jolts which makes the failsafe kick in occasionally and it was doing it like mad on the Terra Crusher and drove me insane, so use a cell pack for better consistancy but keep in mind the cut off is 4.2v on the failsafe and I don'g suggest letting a 6v pack go any lower than 4.8v.