Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Buying CEN Genesis 7.7 vs MGT 8.0 or others

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Buying CEN Genesis 7.7 vs MGT 8.0 or others

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:09 AM
jj911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying CEN Genesis 7.7 vs MGT 8.0 or others

I'm looking into larger MTs and so far ive come up with the genesis 7.7 which i like very much. but reading a bit further tells me that the genesis engine has alot of problems, nothing their great customer support cant fix, but problems nonetheless. then comes the mgt 8.0. im not sure how this would stack up against the genesis, but from pictures, the genesis looks more tough stock.

there was also the recent update CEN gave the genesis which apparently to some people, made a big difference. it fixed alot of problems from the old version, not sure which ones it did specifically, but it gave it a huge improvement.

i just wanna know what people who recently bought the gst thinks about it. im looking to make my purchase and im still leaning toward the genesis. im not looking to jump very high, i would like to bash, but still retain my parts hehe. not much of a racer, but going to the local track isdefinitelyan option. i own a ds3r that i run with a brushless stampede and a tc5, would i be able to get the genesis for any cheaper by selling off the original tx/rx?

other choices, not really liking:
savage: too small, brittle parts
savage xl: for the price, id rather get something else
lst2: not really into speed, more of bashing, plus a youtube of genesis dragging it all over the ground didnt help.
revo 3.3: great truck, i was considering this or the brushless, then came in the price factor, and how weak it is.

so what are the pros and cons to the genesis or mgt?

thanks.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:13 PM
del1969

Default RE: Buying CEN Genesis 7.7 vs MGT 8.0 or others

I had the 8.0 and it was a good truck. The transmission had some issues.
I sold it and got a savage.
You cant go wrong with a savage.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:44 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a new genesis when they 1rst came out and never have fired it up to this day because of all the negitive stuff I heard. I hear the AE 8.0 is a very good machine. Sometimes I think it is all in the guy turning the screwdriver when tuning. I won't bash either, do your research and go from that. Maybe make a post who all here has owned a cen genesis and who all has owned a MGT 8.0.

Some guys will tell you hit the search button.

Good luck to you
Old 06-25-2010, 01:19 PM
DarkFire989

The CEN GST is a tank. I had one but sold it because I hard a hard time tuning the engine. All it needs is a good tune and a check valve mod and its a monster.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:49 AM
SAVAGEJIM

The Genesis is indeed a way tough truck. Tougher than a Savage even.

The only things I dont like about this Cenchain vehicle are the NX7.7 &7.6 engines and the electronics.

If Cenchain were to sell the Genesis as a roller only, that would have been much better. I hated paying also for an engine and electronics that I know are lacking.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:21 AM
wormburner62
My Feedback: (10)

i run the gst and i think its amazing. However; the engine is the biggest peice of crap. I sold the engine and i installed an OS.30 and now its the most amazing truck around.   The truck itself is a bad **** and it hardly ever brakes. I haven't broke anything in months and i race it every weekend plus all the bashing i do everyday of the week.    I have videos up here in the cen section under gst 7.7 woth os 30.

My buddy runs the savage 5.9 and its also an amazing truck.   either one really is a good bet.   Both of them come with a stock peice of crap engine.  And that goes for the 8.0 or any other truck that comes rtr because its not like they are going to install an os or rb os picco for a rtr.  

I suggest to seal the engine before break in process that way you don't have a overheating problem during breakin.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:36 AM
wolfie1

i have a gst and an xl both are real good strong trucks but the engine in the gst has a lot to be desired plus if you want to swap it outi ts a lot bigger a job than in an xl, you need a different engine mount, clutch bell, clutch etc i priced up all the stuff needed cause i am gonna change it and its £50 gbp on top of the price of the engine also the servos in the gst are not as good as the ones hpi offer standard, to get my gst to run half decent i modified an lrp 30 carb to fit and to change the gear change on the gst is a lot more tricky than the xl. I have like 4 mt and the savage is def the easiest to live with out ot the box at least hpi offer an excellent warranty service so if the engine does blow hpi will give you a new 1 i think the warranty is 1 year as opposed to 3 months with cen, they both have their pros and cons, i suppose its just personal preference
Old 08-03-2010, 05:18 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Losi LST2/XXL is vastly superior to all the other 1/8 MT's in pretty much every category.

No GST is gonna walk over an LST2 and DEFINITELY not an XXL(better gearing, bigger engine..)

Losi just builds better and faster stuff.

HPI part quality is low.

A Losi XXL is just superior to the others - speed, handling, durability. Way better radio and engine than the others. Parts are cheap on ebay too.

I would get an XXL first, then an LST2, then ... Well, get the XXL.

After that I would say Savage, then MGT, then..... take up basket-weaving or some other hobby..., then CEN. Horrible trucks the CEN MT's.. Never heard or seen anything good. BAD idea...
Old 08-16-2010, 05:47 AM
NitroKings

The CEN GST has been very popular for us.  It's one of the toughest MT's out there.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:20 PM
ausrcnut

Hey bud.

Just curious as Im also looking for the ultimate bash truck, If theGST is such a great truck once those couple oftiny mods are done, why did you sell yours for.....? Would you agree that theGST with a better engine would be the ultimate bash truck for tough durabilty and bash fun factor.....??

Regards.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:52 PM
blackrain

The gst is the tougher truck and to swap out the engine all you need is a different motor mount and a 1/8 scale cone. The original fly wheel and clutch and fly wheel cone will swap over to the next engine
Old 08-19-2010, 01:26 AM
ausrcnut

Heya budd,

* You said that ya owned a MGT 8.0 once, but now have a SavageXL. So coming from someone who HAS owned both,

* As far as handing and all out driving figures go, (disregard tranny's)which do you like more...the SavageXL or the MGT...?

* I hear the SavageXL have more ground clearance, but tend to roll more easily and the suspension is very soft and loafy sending the vehicle averywhere....?TheMGT isnt that high...it kindalooks half
waybetween a MTand a Truggy.Ireallylike the reverse gear aspect of the MGT. But buildwise I prefer the savageXL.

* Is the SavageXL a fair bit more heavier than the MGT was.....??

* If theMGT you had didnt have any tranny issues, would ya have sold it to this day you think....? Do you think you sold your MGT on impulse thinking thatit totallywas going to be problematic

Cheers.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:52 AM
SLAYERDUDE

Savage XL.

And 27POS, my engine ain't a POS.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:29 AM
ausrcnut

Bahahahaha.....oh maaaan. Thats pritty insane hey. I love it...!!! I see now why people call you the King of Air. That's some intense ****...!!! And unbelievable durability of the Savage. Dammit....I wanna get both now >:-X
Old 09-15-2010, 06:44 AM
ausrcnut

Well.... I ended up gettin a MGT. Hope it all goes well. Here's some pics of it as standard and with my revised body work, and it up against my redcat 1/8. I will end up gettin an SavageXL later on too, maybe even a Gas truck. Im starting to like the Gas trucks for the fuel benefits, and you coild shoehorn a 36cc chainsaw engine in one....that'll just rip hardcore.....!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16319.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1501148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di11275.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1501149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37213.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	71.9 KB