Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Need buying advice

Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Shane B
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need buying advice

I am in need of your advice on what to buy.

I have been into RC planes for many years. Don't know much about RC Trucks. My son wants a truck and I figured I would get one too. We are not planning on racing just have some good ole fun. Don't really want to spend a fortune but want to get something good. Prefer RTR although don’t mind building a kit.

My son's mind is set on the revo but seems a little much plus I have read a little more negative than positive on them.

Please give me your opinion. Plan on buying within a few days

Shane
Old 08-25-2010, 10:10 PM
pigpen1
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Need buying advice

kits are more for racing
revo is a good choice
losi lst2 or xxl also very good choices
i have all 3 of these trucks and there all bad ass
Old 08-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Shane B

Sure could use a little more feedback.

What do most people start out with? Something good to play around with. I may build a track if I get into this.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:51 AM
HerrSavage

Though IMO and based on my experience the Losi MT's are better, based on what you say you're after a Savage X4.6 or XL might be right, or maybe an MGT. Basic, tough, decent starter trucks for bashing around.

If you think running on a track might really be in your future, forget the MT's(you would learn pretty quickly that running Savages on a track is a waste of time..), and look into a truggy. Much more racing-oriented, but still off-road capable, can jump, etc.. Look around on www.amainhobbies.com for something in your price-range, and just ask here if it's worth getting..(or in the truggy section..)

Buggies are great too btw.. Again, more for the track..

So - low-down - messing around in the dirt and yard - MT. For the track, truggy or buggy..

The Losi Ten-T is also worth a look - good radio, good quality, user-friendly, etc.. 1/10 scale though..

I think the first thing you need to decide for sure is, monster truck or truggy?.. And what exactly do you want to do? Jump, hill-climbing, high-speed passes on pavement or grass, wheelies, running on a track, lots of modification options??.. If you want to run where there are other people with RC's, you might want to place more priority on a 2.4GhZ radio(Losi RTR..) Etc..

There are lots of good options.

I personally shy away from Traxxas.. Too brittle for my tastes..

The Losi XXL or Ten-T would be ideal probably, but they are the cream of the crop, and cost more(worth it though, not just image or name..) If you're really worried about the cost, just pick up two Savage RTR's from www.towerhobbies.com with the discount codes or something.. www.overdriverc.com also has good prices - especially for the Losi stuff.. Heck, if you're getting two, ask for a deal..
Old 08-27-2010, 10:02 AM
HerrSavage

Nice RTR truggy offer:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ster-Truck-RTR

Don't forget, Amain and tower both have discount codes that can save you a good chunk of dough...
Old 08-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Shane B

OK, To me airplane are a lot more simple. But I have building and flying for 20 years.

I am now looking at the Team Associated SC8. What do you think about this one? Will it run good in grass as well as dirt? The only thing I dont like is it does not come with 2.4 radio.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:09 AM
HerrSavage

I just got mine...

Asso makes top-notch stuff no doubt. Only thing with the SC8 is the engine won't be all that great. That's why I'm selling mine new and putting something else in(same with the radio..) Also put in some good servos. I had an RC8T truggy for racing, but sold it because racing is just too much time and too much money.

The SC8 will run great on most surfaces except the shortest grass or really rough off-road stuff. It's essentially a buggy with a truggy chassis.. Tires aren't that big, meaning less ground clearance.. Like buggies, more of a track machine.. Check out some videos of them on youtube..

Again, you have to really think a bit and have a clear idea of what you'll be doing, what surfaces you'll be running on, etc..

I haven't even gotten to run mine yet. Was hoping to today, but it's been raining buckets...
Old 08-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Shane B

Well the SC8 is out. We will be running in grass until i build a track.

His mind is pretty much set on a monster truck. Running in grass and dirt. Doing some ramping, typical back yard bashing. Engines, servos are not a problem for me. I have been building large scale planes for a very long time.

I plan in buying two trucks, would like to stay in the $400 or range. Prefer 2.4 radio. Durable under normal backyard bashing.

Please give me your top three choices.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:15 AM
john01374

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shane - I was just about to post and say get a pair of Slash's or a Slash and a Blitz but Since you're running in grass I'm thinking the larger 4x4 trucks is more what will suit you. so my top three choices would be E-Revo, E-Savage or the E-Maxx. The short course trucks are not much fun on grass regardless if they're 4x4 or not.

I'm not sure what negatives you've heard on the Revo's but I can say that my E-revo with the 700HO conversion is one dam strong truck. Easily the best large truck I've owned and I've had all three listed. The E-Savage is also a great truck that will take a serious beating. The E-Maxx has a few flaws but under normal use I seriously doubt you would hurt anything other than a couple of drive shafts.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Shane B

Thanks John but it has to be nitro. I am not into electrics. I have had few electric planes and just was not the sam as burning that nitro.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:14 AM
HerrSavage

1.) The Jammin RTR truggy I linked to earlier - or some other 1/8 truggy
2.) Savage XL or X 4.6 RTR(remember though, not for a track..)
3.) Losi Ten-T

Btw, just burnt one tank through the SC8.. WOW that thing has some steering.. REALLY fun.. FAST as hell too..(17T CB, SW 26, Fioroni slider, Losi RTR pipe...)

All in all, though I've been there and done that, and think there are so many better RC's, it sounds like for what you want the Savage X 4.6 is the ticket.. If you get serious about a track later - get a truggy when the time comes..
Old 08-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Shane B

If this ends up like my planes I am in trouble. Went from trainer to large scale warbids very quick.

The Savage is what I have looking at. My son wants something else (he is set on a Revo)

Here is what I have narrowed it down to:

HPI Savage Flux GT-2

HPI Savage 4.6

Team Asso Monster GT 4.6

Traxxas REVO

Losi After Shock

Maybe the Losi Ten T

If he gets the Revo I have to get something that will match him well.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:52 PM
HerrSavage

If he's set on a Revo, get him an RTR one and maybe you can get their kit version(if it's still available..) I was at an event today and there were quite a few Revos.. They do go well.. Just don't know how they hold up.. Having started out with Savages, I only always ever heard horror stories about Revos' durability.. I just had a Mini Revo and sold it.. It was all way too plasticy...
Old 08-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Shane B

Is the revo and savage fairly equal in power, speed etc?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:39 AM
HerrSavage

Yeah... The Revo will handle better.., but possibly(probably?) be less durable.. They'll both be fast.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:29 AM
rc person 577

If you want nitro, IMO, the savage X 4.6 is the best for BASHING and haveing a good ole time with. Very though, Good Engine. Don't think there is 2.4, though it is probably comming soon.

If you want to venture into electic, The Flx is a great choice. With this though, you will be $1,200 in trucks, 100-200 in 2 or 4 sets of batteries, then 200 for 2 chargers. Like $1,500 to do that.

Heard bad things about the Ten-T, and th associated MT.

Still, I own a flux, and I LOVE it (it probably hates me though lol)
Issuses I have had: didn't loc-tite the wheels (stripped 3), nedded red lco-tite on the piion gear set screw, and the upper hinge pins are falling out (2 zip ties). Ran 16 packs through it.
HPI sen t 4 brand new tires and rims FREE, loc-tite $3, zip ties $.10. Have not havd anyother problems.  
Old 09-11-2010, 02:41 PM
wolfie1

savage 4.6 comes in 2.4g now, you will both def have heaps of fun driving it, crashing it then putting it back on its wheels and then driving it some more
Old 09-12-2010, 07:32 PM
bigairlife

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1154
Old 09-16-2010, 05:44 AM
mufflerbearing

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Yeah... The Revo will handle better.., but possibly(probably?) be less durable.. They'll both be fast.
Revo and savage will be pretty equal in the durability department IMO.

Traxxas plastic is incredibly tough.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 AM
HerrSavage

Having started out with Savages, I always only heard how un-tough and plasticy Revos were, so for years had a prejudice. Then earlier this year I got a Revo VXL. Which I just sold. I hated everything about it. It was very plasticy and just felt and looked cheap compared to the brands I usually run - Losi and Associated. I would almost definitely not buy a Traxxas product again. I just don't trust them. It's like they sell plastic trucks, knowing you have to spend a fortune on upgrades to make them durable..
Old 09-21-2010, 12:22 AM
ohiowoodsrider250r
My Feedback: (2)

i can't talk down the savage trucks because i've never ran one or even seen one in person. However i have 2 1/10th scale e revo's they are extremely durable bone stock i have failed many landings...it has slammed into block buildings at high speed you'd be amazed at what you can drive away from. the stock servo gears even being plastic still look new. i have yet to ever break an a arm. mostly i just break driveshafts, yet the front and rear driveshafts break at different ends of the shafts you can just make replacements out of those,

HANDLING the e revo long famed for its great handling the e revo is a muesum of everything right in the rc world since the beginning its a buggy its a truggy...and a monster truck its a crossed cross over he he ..the e revo takes corners almost as well as a expensive racing kit with all the benefits of a big monster truck. the E revo doesn't need a groomed area to run..it can do almost everything my atv can do. remember the e revo has racing in mind and can be set up as a race truggy to be alot of fun both on and off the track.

Suspension This more than anything else truely sets the revo family apart from anything on the market. You can just look at a photo, I don't need to tell you the basics.But heres a word on how well it actually works. At each wheel you have over 6" of articulation. Thats a soda can and a piece of 2x4 under any wheel plus a bit more than even that. Yes its a racing monster truggy rock crawler cool huh? I can run my e revo fast in a rough field watching the wheels being flung violently into the air while the chassis stays reasonably level....Quite a sight actually and it makes this a great climber in addition to being a racer and an extremely fun basher. the shocks are aluminum bodied and come with a set of pistons to slow down the dampining effect if needed. Also the shocks are completely protected from stone chips as per their location up in chassis.

PARTS AVAILABILITY the e revo shares many parts with the 3905 and 3908 e maxx t maxx and entire revo / summit line up. if needed you could upgrade either or both diffs with summit lockers all e revo parts are sold on ebay dirt cheap everyday should you actually manage to break something. iv'e reccently looked into a savage flux and noticed this open flea market of parts doesn't so much exist for the the savage and driveshafts were 22.00 bucks plus shippinf for 2 i can get a set of 4 at that price for my e revo plus e revo driveshafts come with a rubber boot to seal the sliders from dirt and mud. these are plastic for both models,

CONS TO OWNERSHIP ..Jealous savage owners heckling you about their aluminum chassis. While this might seem where the tables start to turn think again, part of the reason for the e revo's bewildering ability to take so much abuse is that evey part of it is engineered to absorb the blunt force trama of your cruelity with a smile. This foresight can also be seen even in the way that the e revo's skid plates are mounted designed with room to move against one another to take serious impacts. However if i NEED to be objective about this here goes....the motor mount is not the best design iv'e ever seen to say the very lest...your big brushless motor is forced to hang on the e revo mount by two little screws with no rear support at all. if you like to launch your e revo off massive jumps reportedly it flexs so much that your spurr and pinion lose contact and tend to eat spurr gears as a result, I have never had this problem but i do big jumps not massive ones. The limits are reasonable here but it was a stupid way to mount a motor. Battary trays are to small for 4s 5000mah packs..Just 2 more friggin MM. I could have twice the runtime dam you traxxas!! i honestly tried to think of more cons...I did but i can't think of anymore, its mostly very well thoughtout more durable than i expected it to be and thanks to all the ebay sellers battling it out for customers parts are cheap.