RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   !!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/1313212-help.html)

Jarret 11-28-2003 09:11 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Earlier today I ran my maxx into a curb on my street and broke the motor mount. Went to the lhs and bought a new one and installed it.

Started up the truck and found out that it was extremely rich. So I started to lean it out, flooded engine, cleared engine, and did this about 6 times. After about a needle adjustment of 4 whole turns lean, I decided that something is extremely messed up with the high speed needle. So, I went to the Traxxas website to see the factory settings for the engine. It said that the factory settings were 4 turns out from closed. So, I closed the needle and turned it out 4 turns.

Started the engine up and found that the engine is now extremely lean, to the point of a ear-drum shattering scream.

I have no clue as to what is wrong with the engine. I am guessing that something is wrong with the high speed needle, but I can't pinpoint it. Does anybody know what could be the problem?

teamsquirreltail 11-28-2003 09:16 PM

RE: !!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check your fuel line for kinks. Make sure it isnt pinched off anywhere. If you have a fuel filter, clean it. Maybe even put new fuel tubing on? Good luck!

Jarret 11-28-2003 09:23 PM

That isn't it.

My fuel lines are fine.

tjmaxx 11-28-2003 09:27 PM

Checked your carberator for cracks.

Jarret 11-28-2003 09:31 PM

That might be it, but how would it cause the engine to run lean?

BigBlocked 11-28-2003 09:32 PM

If your fuel lines are fine, there's probably be an air leak somewhere that's leaning it out.

popa71 11-28-2003 09:34 PM

That would cause an air leak. before you get into that check to make sure the collar on the high speed needle has not loosened Im willing to bet either thats it or the needle is damaged witch are both easy to fix

Jarret 11-28-2003 09:35 PM

Checked your carberator for cracks.
Really, thanks.

Did you find anything, LOL LOL!!!!!!

popa71 11-28-2003 09:38 PM

One time my gas tank had a crack in it that was so small it could not be detected. No fuel was leaking but my engine was running hot. I changed it and all problems were solved. I would check to make sure the needle was tight first. Then change the tank. Then if that doesnt work I would go for a new needle. they are like $10

teamsquirreltail 11-28-2003 09:52 PM

Poor fuel lines will cause an airleak. Having a loose or cracked carb will cause an airleak. Airleaks are the #1 cause when an engine runs hot and inconsistent, given the needles are set somewhat acceptabley.

popa71 11-28-2003 09:54 PM

Between the three of us I think we covered all the minor stuff. If Its not any of that, its the engine!!!!!

teamsquirreltail 11-28-2003 09:57 PM

Hmm, check the backplate and the head. Tighten them down. A hard jolt might (a big might) have loosened them up.

Jarret 11-28-2003 10:52 PM

Ok, thanks for all the info.

Going to check the carb either later tonight or tomorrow.