RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   "Real" trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/1368552-%22real%22-trucks.html)

CaNaDiAnRaCeR 12-21-2003 08:55 PM

"Real" trucks

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I would like to make a statement so I will. I'v been looking around at other peoples trucks and I noticed a lot of those expensive trucks have so much time and money put in to them for looks. We all spend a long time trying to figure out what wheels shine the best or what body is looks great but thats not what it all comes down to with R/C trucks. Its all about how much mud you can pile on it! We all spent a long time on painting our bodies and finding the best sparkling colour to make it stand out but a perfect body should be painted brown on the outside after a day at the construction site. Same with the wheels, shure they look great when brand new out of the package and with the shiny chrome paint but you never see it 2 minutes in to your run. Ok, so you can wash the mud off and have them looking great again.....but after enough runs the paint will start peeling but that doesn't stop us from launching our trucks 10 feet into the air and going up vertical walls of mud. Same with all the fancy anodizing of aluminum....we pay a lot of money to get a matching coloured aluminum pieces to make the truck look 'expensive' yet after a day of rock crawling or high speed jumps...it ends up looking like crap when it gets all scratched up. I can agree we also get the aluminum parts for durability too but we pay extra to have it anodized when we can get them cheaper in natural. Also with the tires we choose. I and a lot of you spend a long time researching which tires will grip the best for our purpose and pay crazy amounts of money for them but if you drive your truck properly....it will be covered in so much mud that there is no grip left and will be riding on mud slicks.

I'd like to finish with some pics of my truck after a 1 tank run today. Also I would like to thank you for reading this thread.

MitchT/Emaxx1989 12-21-2003 08:59 PM

RE: "Real" trucks

my body is held together with duct tape so what do i care about it getting muddy:)

CaNaDiAnRaCeR 12-21-2003 09:55 PM

hahaha, true but I got a better solution. Melt the body togeather using a heat gun. My friend did that on his.....not too bad looking either.

remten2001 12-21-2003 10:01 PM

CaNaDiAnRaCeR

i agree on some the things u wrote but when i go bash i always clean my truck after and that is the fun part of it...At this time of the year espcially in some places it can be very muddy but i rather run my truck when its either cold enough so there is no mud or when its summer time and ride on my home made track....

BTW what kind of truck is that in your picture?I fist tought maybe a duratrax?

CaNaDiAnRaCeR 12-21-2003 10:17 PM

I know where your comming from.....I just finished cleaning my truck. Its just that the way I drive it doesn't matter how I clean mine , I still end up scratching the aluminum or chipping my wheels.

As for the truck, Its a fairly stock Duratrax Overdrive ST. Great truck for the money. Had a blast with it today at the construction site:D

Nitro7-inactive 12-21-2003 10:18 PM

overdrive st it looks like..

CaNaDiAnRaCeR 12-21-2003 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have some pics of my clean Overdrive ST. Not the best cleaning but it will do till I get more mud:D (the last picture is of my still muddy body in a plastic bag ready to be washed in the bathtub)

CrashKid 12-22-2003 12:05 AM

My neighbors run their T-Maxx for 30 minutes and clean it for 2 hours.....

CaNaDiAnRaCeR 12-22-2003 10:41 AM

Does anyone think I could fit a set of T-Maxx wheels and tires on my Overdrive ST? I thought maby if I got some wheels with a deep enough off-set it could work.........

SH ByA 12-22-2003 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I get dont playing with mine I take it to the truck wash. :D Here is my Savage waiting to gets its bath, and the T-Maxx (its play buddy) is in the truck wash.:D

And yes I know.....Busted Tie Rod end [&o]

badboy2 12-22-2003 01:48 PM

sh bya do use the simple green to any part of the truck or just the tires?...up to now i dont really have something to clean my rigs i have the denatured alcohol but it really doesnt do the cleaning ..ur goin to need a power spray for it to to work real good

SH ByA 12-22-2003 02:00 PM

Simple green works great on the whole truck, I spray the whole thing down. Plus it gives it that nice pine scent:D. I have found that I can take the truck and sprey the whole thing down and just hose it off in the sink using the sprayer. and it works great. I wouldnt recommend soaking the truck for hours, and just use common sense close to the electronics, but it will clean the tires and rims and everything else off real good. I havent lost a servo or anything yet (knock on wood). [8D]

trible10 12-22-2003 06:23 PM

CaNaDiAnRaCeR,

You can put tmaxx wheels on your overdrive, but you'll have to do a few mods first. I put some on my Sport SE before. To make them look right and be able to turn; you'll have to put the wheels on backwards since they have a very huge offset. It sounds weird, but it works.

studysession 12-22-2003 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The before pic is the muddy one and the after pic is after I cleaned it. This is what I do with mine! The muddy one with the shell off, look how dirty the air filter got.

CaNaDiAnRaCeR 12-22-2003 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
tribe10 - you say I can fit the T-Maxx wheels if I put them on backwards but wouldn't that make them look ugly since the companies don't put too much attention to the detail on the inside of the wheel? Take a look at this picture....do you think they would fit? They come in the optional 'stablemaxx' off set so that would make it even deeper and probably fit without rubbing.

CaNaDiAnRaCeR 12-22-2003 07:03 PM

studysession - Nice cleaning job! How do you clean yours? Strip it all down and hand wipe everything or spray the whole thing with something? You made your buggy look like new

studysession 12-22-2003 07:12 PM

I take all my RC's apart regularly for cleaning, and rebuilding diff's etc.... Nothing else does a better job.

There is a bloke on another board i post on, he claims he takes out all the elctronics and puts the whole this in the dishwasher. [sm=RAINFRO.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=bananahead.gif] if you ask me, that is just nuts. Sometimes for a quick wash, I use a spray bottle with water and my air compressor.

studysession 12-22-2003 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is that same buggy today. I am hopping it up with some graphite and more aluminum. The wing is the same white wing from above. I dyed it black. I also dyed a set of wheels black to match. Will be painting a new lid for it soon.

I am having trouble making the graphite top plate fit. it is not designed for this model. On Christmas I am going over to a friends house. I am going to see if he can help me custom design a set of bulk heads to help make it fit.

CaNaDiAnRaCeR 12-22-2003 07:18 PM

I hope that guy takes out all his bearings and makes shure there completely dry......I always check and dry my wheel bearings after some runs in water.

How are those rubber-sealed ball bearings? I heard they keep out moisture but couldn't the outside of the bearing rust?

studysession 12-22-2003 07:21 PM

On my PBS you notice on front some are exposed. I run through mud puddles and rain - I just blow off everything with air compressor myself.

But yeah, hop the guy that does dishwasher things does something for it.

CaNaDiAnRaCeR 12-22-2003 07:25 PM

Nice buggy you got there. Buggies are too expensive for me......

studysession 12-22-2003 07:30 PM

Thanks mate - This whole hobby is way to expensive.

I just got a Lehner brushless motor and schulze ESC for my TC3/ I cant wait for a nice day to take it out. My nitro's I will run in the rain all day. My electrics I dont even try.

We have pastures all around us. It is a blast to take the buggies and TMaxx through them. Watch the mud fly. Love it when i find the big tractor ruts to run through. Just stay away from the sheep and cow muck.:D