RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   exhaust stacks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/1521654-exhaust-stacks.html)

popuptoaster 02-12-2004 02:46 PM

exhaust stacks

I run a thunder tiger mta4 (same as the assosiated monster gt) is there any reason why i cant add a Y piece onto my exhaust and run it to a couple of stacks, like the big rigs run? i know you get fuel in the exhaust, but i can disconnect the stacks when i fuel up and let it drain.

im a bit of a noob to nitro cars so if there is any reason why i cant do it can you explain please. ive looked at them smoke machines they run in tanks, and a faint waft of white smoke is definatley not what im after! :D

t-maxx homie 369 02-12-2004 05:28 PM

RE: exhaust stacks

g right ahead but post pics

spazzyfry123 02-12-2004 09:23 PM

It might work if you have the "Y" thing coming out and then a connector that made it go down like this- U. The "U" shaped thing would connect to the "Y" thing you were talking about and then you could put your stacks on the other side of the "U". Umm... that didn't really seem like a good description, let me see if I can try it again. OK, your "Y" splitting thing will come out of your exaust port. Then a "U" shaped thing that will allow the fuel to go down (thanks to gravitiy). You will need two of these "U" things if you are planning to do two stacks. And if there is some type of drainage thing (you could drill a port into it and attatch some fuel-tubing to it and have another thing that will hold whatever is being drained). You can attatch the stacks. I don't know how your gonna get you pressure though. I hoped this helped, it probably didn't. This is one of those things that only the person that said it would get probably. Well, hope I helped out a little.:eek:

mrjason82 02-12-2004 10:18 PM

I've built a dual exhaust system for my MT2 and I used JB weld as the back pressure...completely plugged up the pipe and drilled a hole in it...just experimented with what size hole to use for the best performance.

nitromacguyver 02-13-2004 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: mrjason82

I've built a dual exhaust system for my MT2 and I used JB weld as the back pressure...completely plugged up the pipe and drilled a hole in it...just experimented with what size hole to use for the best performance.

can you try to get some pics of it on here?

mrjason82 02-13-2004 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
there's one pic, nothing special but I can definately tell that there's a bit of enhancement in performance. I've just been lazy lately, soon I'll clean it up after I rebuild the engine in my MT2 and make it all purty :D

ericheller 02-13-2004 11:08 PM

i dont get why everyone wants dual exaust for there rc cars. youve gotta understand 2 stroke engines need backpressure which comes from the pipe, or they will lose power. they make the pipes a certain shape for a reason.

mrjason82 02-14-2004 04:09 AM

Yes, that's why I put in the JB Weld with a small hole in the pipe...that's the backpressure

popuptoaster 02-14-2004 08:14 AM

im gonna run mine straight off the end of the original exhaust, so there may be a minor performance hit from having further to go before the gas exits the pipes, but hell, who can actually tell there truck is 2 mph faster or slower if your not racing? i sure cant! im gonna make my stacks nice and strong as part of my roll cage i think. Anyway, my truck is gonna have .40 4 stroke in it as soon as i find one i like the look of. :D

rcdiscount 02-14-2004 08:56 AM

Post deleted by moderator

spazzyfry123 02-15-2004 04:30 PM

I would think without the required back pressure, the life of your engine would decrease. That just seems like a logical thing to me. I mean why would there be back pressure at all if it didn't have some purpose (whether it is giving you more power or the necessities for life).

ericheller 02-15-2004 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: popuptoaster

im gonna run mine straight off the end of the original exhaust, so there may be a minor performance hit from having further to go before the gas exits the pipes, but hell, who can actually tell there truck is 2 mph faster or slower if your not racing? i sure cant! im gonna make my stacks nice and strong as part of my roll cage i think. Anyway, my truck is gonna have .40 4 stroke in it as soon as i find one i like the look of. :D
you may not be able to tell 2mph but you should be able to tell if your car goes from pulling wheelies to barely taking off, or not even running.

DaSHiKi 02-15-2004 07:19 PM

hehe thats funny. I'm not sure on this and never have seen it on any other trucks but you may need to have a drain setup for the fuel that does get into the pipe or you could have a mess on your hands when you go to change things.

cutwag 02-15-2004 08:01 PM

Post deleted by moderator

spazzyfry123 02-15-2004 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: cutwag

Does anyone know or has anyone heard of rc-crazy doing a special track for TLT-1 or is this a rumor i am hearing?

thanks... they have [link=http://www.rc-crazy.com]rc-crazy.com[/link] as site info but i am not sure.
How does that have anything to do with this topic?

popuptoaster 02-15-2004 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: spazzyfry123

I would think without the required back pressure, the life of your engine would decrease. That just seems like a logical thing to me. I mean why would there be back pressure at all if it didn't have some purpose (whether it is giving you more power or the necessities for life).
i may be new to nitro RC's, but im not new to engines, the point of back pressure on a two stroke is so that you can get more power from the engine by introducing the fresh fuel/air mixture earlier (while the exhaust port is still open in fact) the pressure wave generated from the exhaust port hits the end of the can and is reflected back to the port, this stops the incoming fresh fuel/air mixture from being pushed down the pipe until the piston can cover it.

So, if you have no back pressure, you lose half your fuel down the exhaust before the engine can ignite it. This is why i say i will run the stacks from the end of the standard exhaust, leaving the can in place.

If it has a hugely detrimental effect on performance, i will simply leave the idea untill the 4 stroke conversion is complete, exhausts for 4 strokes work on a different principle, and although they do use scavenging, it is nowhere near as critical as on a 2 stroke (it is used more for moving the revs at which the power is developed than for ultimate power) This is because the intake and exhaust of the fuel/air mix is controlled with engine driven valves.

hope that clears a few things up! :D anyone have any good suggestions for a .40 4 stroke that may fit nicely? not too obscure though as im in the UK and i may need to be able to get spares!

HPIchuk 02-16-2004 12:17 AM

everyone who said that these engines need backpressure: alls the guy has to do is lead the stacks to a small hole just like that one guy said(sorry forgot your name and cant give proper credit) its not that hard and theres your backpressure.

rockbusterman 02-20-2004 02:53 AM

Edit... Edit.. Edit... <<< Please Edit.. lol[X(] :)

otterball21 02-20-2004 10:03 PM

Ok, I've toyed around with this idea alot. Don't bother. A, if you run big rig stacks, the oil is going to backflow into your engine and it's going to make it difficult to start. B, You didn't spend endless hours in designing these pipes like those people at crazy nitro designing places. They have the correct geometry etc etc etc.

I've made dual exhaust and single exhaust, both still didn't beat the tuned pipes that I bought

spazzyfry123 02-21-2004 02:02 AM

ORIGINAL: popuptoaster

ORIGINAL: spazzyfry123

i may be new to nitro RC's, but im not new to engines, the point of back pressure on a two stroke is so that you can get more power from the engine by introducing the fresh fuel/air mixture earlier (while the exhaust port is still open in fact) the pressure wave generated from the exhaust port hits the end of the can and is reflected back to the port, this stops the incoming fresh fuel/air mixture from being pushed down the pipe until the piston can cover it.

So, if you have no back pressure, you lose half your fuel down the exhaust before the engine can ignite it. This is why i say i will run the stacks from the end of the standard exhaust, leaving the can in place.

If it has a hugely detrimental effect on performance, i will simply leave the idea untill the 4 stroke conversion is complete, exhausts for 4 strokes work on a different principle, and although they do use scavenging, it is nowhere near as critical as on a 2 stroke (it is used more for moving the revs at which the power is developed than for ultimate power) This is because the intake and exhaust of the fuel/air mix is controlled with engine driven valves.

hope that clears a few things up! :D anyone have any good suggestions for a .40 4 stroke that may fit nicely? not too obscure though as im in the UK and i may need to be able to get spares!
Yes, and without enough fuel to lubricate everything, your engine will not live as long.

popuptoaster 02-21-2004 05:46 AM

by the time the fuel gets round to the exhaust port its already done all is lubricating, it enters the engine through the carb, into the crankcase, lubricating the crank, rod and cooling the underside of the piston, then as the piston travels downwards it is squeezed up into the combustion chamber.