RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   MT2 Engine head Problem (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/2027496-mt2-engine-head-problem.html)

Element 07-27-2004 08:44 AM

MT2 Engine head Problem

Well I took my mt2 out of retirment today(3 months worth[X(]) and I decided to check out the engine.Well two of the hex heads that hold the colling head on is stripped.Is there any way for me to get the screws off?

Thanks
-Greg

MrSavage 07-27-2004 12:09 PM

RE: MT2 Engine head Problem

i stripped a hex using a regular allen key and then i bought a nice, expensive set of allens and i could easily get the screw out. try using a good set of allens.

Sweetshoes90210 07-27-2004 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm... Here ya go man.

Stripped engine screws. There's nothing worse than a stripped screw—especially if it secures the heat-sink head, the backplate, or the exhaust manifold. A stripped screw in any of these areas makes engine maintenance and rebuilding an enormous hassle.
A stripped backplate screw is fairly easy to remove. Slot the stripped screw head with a Dremel tool and cutoff wheel, and then remove it with a flat-blade screwdriver.

Removing a stripped screw from the cooling head or exhaust manifold is not as easy, and there's no way to avoid tearing up the head or scarring the engine block in the process. In either of these cases, the best solution is to drill out the stripped screw. To do this, select a drill bit that is slightly larger than the screw head, but not so large that it won't fit through the screw-access hole in the cooling head, or in the case of a stripped exhaust-manifold screw, will bind with the engine-block webbing.

Using a drill press, or a really steady hand and hand drill, pass the drill bit through the access hole in the cooling head until it contacts the screw head, then gently apply pressure to drill it away. Use this method to remove a stripped exhaust-manifold screw as well; when the drill bit reaches the screw shaft, any remaining traces of the screw head will pop off. When you've removed the cooling head, the remaining stud can be slotted and then removed with a screwdriver, or simply twisted out with pliers.

Element 07-27-2004 02:24 PM

I dont have a steady ahnd or a drill press I think I might try it with a drill but I'm not sure cen says they will fix it for $15.

I did strip it with a allen key I have some losi wrenches somewhere(I'm not too oragainized) Ill see if they work.

gofaster72 07-27-2004 02:48 PM

Excellent advice, Tony. Element, if CEN will fix it for $15, send it to them. You will come out way ahead in the long run. No telling what you might damage trying to use a hand drill.

Sweetshoes90210 07-27-2004 03:28 PM

yea. I would give the 15$ rather than messing it up and having to buy a new engine....

But if you want to do it, fallow my post. It is pretty straight forward and easy.