RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Engine running hot? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/3144733-engine-running-hot.html)

infernalstone 07-07-2005 11:53 AM

Engine running hot?

I'm following the philosophy of performance over temperature. It's the stock engine in a Mad Force.

It's running at 280 F, but it seems like a nice cloud of smoke from the exhaust.

At what point should I be worried? Any help would be appreciated.

Nitroaddict 07-07-2005 12:05 PM

RE: Engine running hot?

That is far too hot - even though you see smoke, it's still running hot enough to cook the engine. You need to richen it up to lower the temp to around 210-220.

ThermalRD 07-07-2005 01:06 PM

Depends on the temps man. You wont cook that engine at 280 if your blowing smoke like crazy. I would advise bringing the temps down. That Mad Force engine typically ran around 230 for me. First things first! Make sure you are running a cold glow plug. MC9, or i believe its the OS A5 thats cold as well. Either of those will drop temps drastically, and require retuning. Also what fuel are you running? If you run 20%, expect temps to be high in hot weather. My recommendation for summer running is one of the mentioned cold plugs, and some HIGH quality 30% fuel. Odonnels, or Byrons. If the problem is caused by an air leak, or a worn engine, then none of the above advice will help. If i remember correctly, you are the guy coming to Northville for a while soon. If you need help tuning, gimme a pm. Im about 10 minutes from Northville.

ORIGINAL: infernalstone

I'm following the philosophy of performance over temperature. It's the stock engine in a Mad Force.

It's running at 280 F, but it seems like a nice cloud of smoke from the exhaust.

At what point should I be worried? Any help would be appreciated.

infernalstone 07-07-2005 02:04 PM

I'm running Bryon's 20% and OS A5s.

I should hope it's not wear, cause the engine has just over 1/2 gallon through it. As for an air leak, I wouldn't know how to figure it out.

Unfortunately, the only day I'll be in Northville is early sunday, since we're bouncing straight up to Traverse City since I won't be racing.

As for hot temps...well, it is Tennessee. Hot and high humidity.

How would I find any air leaks. I'd hope that a new engine wouldn't do it, but...

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-07-2005 02:08 PM

infernal, go pick up some O'donnell from MSH. everything ran cooler after i went to O'donnell 20%. Byrons is oilier than the leak in my t-bird.
also, I've run most of my engines way hotter than 280, and IMO as long as there's smoke, you're good. I abuse the hell out of my engines, and they last anywhere from 5 or 6 to 9 gallons.

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-07-2005 02:12 PM

btw the way i look for air leaks is the same way i do it on a 1:1 car.
spray some ether onto the cracks while the engine idles.

infernalstone 07-07-2005 02:23 PM

Don't have any ether, but I have some denatured (spelling?) alcohol for cleaning the truck. Will that work? And I'll grab some of that before going north, and see how it works.

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-07-2005 02:30 PM

BTW have fun in traverse city.
take a picture of your MF on top of one of the giant screws sitting out;)
you drivin or flyin?

infernalstone 07-07-2005 03:12 PM

Driving. Here to Detroit, then to Traverse.

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-08-2005 01:41 AM

good crap, that's a good 18 hours or so of drivin
just make sure to swing by Silver Lake and play with the MF;) i had great fun there back in the day with my Stampede.

infernalstone 07-08-2005 07:35 AM

Yea, tell me about it. :D We're actually going to an RV resort on Lake Leelanau, where my grandparents have had a spot for the like..20 years. I'll have to look for some places to drive it near by, as I don't want to accidentially cream some small child. :P