RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   quick fix for tmaxx one way (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/361107-quick-fix-tmaxx-one-way.html)

mrmaxxman 11-12-2002 02:34 AM

quick fix for tmaxx one way

if your one way starter bearing is slipping try this
dissassemble the starter drill one small hole 1/8 dia in the back of the plastic cover then drill one in the bottom. now when you get it together the next time it slips just take some carb cleaner and spray it in the hole in the back of the starter case and let it drain out of the hole in the bottom. the reason this happens is running rich the oil seeps out of the brass bushing the shaft comes thru
and soaks the one way bearing. it works every time for me.

Bonefrost 11-12-2002 07:39 AM

I might try that.I was thinkin about it,but didn't know how well it would work.
I would be a heck of alot faster that taking it apart just to spray it.
Any pics?
BNZ'

mrmaxxman 11-13-2002 02:34 AM

not at the moment my scanner went belly up but it is a real simple task. just put the hole straight in so you can get that little
red tube that comes with the carb cleaner into it and a drain hole
you could also use brake parts cleaner just dont buy the cheap wal mart brand it leaves an oily residue i use gumout it dries really fast so less of chance of melting plastic.

Bonefrost 11-13-2002 08:12 PM

Sounds good.Do you put any plugs in the holes?
BNZ'

mrmaxxman 11-13-2002 10:11 PM

no i leave them open i thought about it but havent had anything
get in there yet. i would definatly use something if i drove in the sand or raced it. i regularly tear down and inspect anyway after each gallon too much expensive aluminum not to.

eletrick 11-14-2002 12:22 AM

the holes will work great, but when that shaft gets worn, it won't work. When you have about 6-8 gallons of fuel through one, its not that much to spend 30 bucks to get a few new parts. On the other hand, if you only have a few gallons, then drill holes.

My 2 cents!

RN

mrmaxxman 11-14-2002 01:22 AM

i have about 14 gallons thru it so far and have only had to replace one way once and still have the original shaft. new bearing works great for about a gallon then i have to clean it.
also has anybody tried the aluminum starter gears from tower hobbies i did the port and polish on the trx 15 and its got a lot more power but its also a lot more tempermental until its up to
temp.

eletrick 11-14-2002 02:30 AM

I change the shaft and bearing at the same time. I've never had to clean one. Many gallons of fuel, no cleaning. Change the shaft and bearing, works great, never cleaned and this ones got a few gallons on it since changing it out. but hey whatever works for you and your maxx is great! I don't see where its worth the extra few coins vs the headache's.

I'm done!

RN

Originally posted by mrmaxxman
i have about 14 gallons thru it so far and have only had to replace one way once and still have the original shaft. new bearing works great for about a gallon then i have to clean it.
also has anybody tried the aluminum starter gears from tower hobbies i did the port and polish on the trx 15 and its got a lot more power but its also a lot more tempermental until its up to
temp.