RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   want to be New To NITRO..no flame war (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/7205981-want-new-nitro-no-flame-war.html)

What-A-Rusty 03-10-2008 08:32 PM

want to be New To NITRO..no flame war

I have had few TRAXXAS products all electric. Recently back to RC bought a Rusty and then all my friends went and bought Nito MTs. 1 S-MAXX, T-MAXX, and 2 REVO's. I need something to bash with them. My budget is about 400 and want RTR. There are advantages to TRAXXAS. Like my LHS's have walls of parts, and so do my friends, but I'm leaning towards something different. I would like honest opinions and advice. I am looking into the MGT 4.6 SE, Savage 4.6, and T-MAXX.

Please let me know byond the RTR box what I need? (I am new to nitro)
What mods are neccessary to any of these optiuons?
Advatages and dissadvatages to each?
Any other viable options?
Any other batteries other than AAs or 6cell stick packs I got pleanty of?

It will be a basher with minimal track bashing, jumping and running into each other.

Snaut Rocket 03-10-2008 08:59 PM

RE: want to be New To NITRO..no flame war

Flame war!!!!

Just kidding.
You have some very good options there.
I would advise to cancle out the t maxx.
Look into a aftershock.
They all have there weakness and strong points.
You will be very happy wich ever one you choose except the tmaxx:D
for the stick packs as longs as there 6 vt they will work.
Go on you tube and check out the vids for a mgt and savage and see which one you like the best.
THe mgt is bigger and handles better IMO but I think the savage gots it beat in toughness but still is tough.
Hope this helps.

baboso 03-10-2008 09:04 PM

MGT 8.0 or SAVAGE XL

Much better versionz than their elders.

m_weinerich 03-10-2008 09:12 PM

That won't fit the 400$ budget... Man honestly go for a savage x4.6 RTR. It's a really neat starter truck, the engine is ported from the factory which severely increases power. My friend has gone trouble free for about 5 gallons of fuel when his clutch bell bearing went, that was a easy fix... It's an extremely strong truck and the parts availability on ebay are ridiculously cheap. Any lhs should have plenty parts for it, and plus you won't break much to begin with. It won't be as fast as a revo 3.3, but it will give it a run for its money and at the end of a tough bashing day you will most likely have the most intact truck.

baboso 03-10-2008 09:25 PM

well he would have to save up cuz he would get an upgraded savage xl and will save money from not upgrading in the future

Elite_Tux487 03-10-2008 09:32 PM

I say MGT 4.6 se. It is cheaper than the mgt 8.0 and its basically the same truck except for a few parts and the engine.
http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=ASC20501!1007

Evader ---> MGT 03-10-2008 09:44 PM

MGT 4.6 SE = $369.99 shipped to el door!

buck in rut 03-10-2008 10:08 PM

the mgt 4.6 and the 8.0 are basically the same truck the 8.0 has an upgraded transmission and slipper clutch set up larger brakes and stronger front and rear drive lines and the other differences are minor like bumpers and tires both great trucks i have both of them i would not recommend the 8.0 for a beginner the power is a bit much and would be hard to tune for a beginner plus its out of your price range the savage 4.6 is an all around good truck maybe the losi aftershock its very easy to tune i personally don't like traxxas products there is a reason all local hobby stores have so many parts its because you'll need them just look around find something you like and check around lhs and tower hobby compare price of replacement parts and upgrade options good luck

EG1 03-11-2008 04:15 PM

The Raminator is another good option, also looks like a real MT.

What-A-Rusty 03-11-2008 05:53 PM

Well I appreciate all the feedback. After I posted this I went to the Losi site and saw the Aftershock and Raminator. So now its between those and the Savage and MGT 4.6s. Still wondering if the RTRs come with bat paks for the reciever/servos? Needed upgrades for each? And anything I might need for start up? or do I just take it out of the box and break it i?

Elite_Tux487 03-11-2008 06:21 PM

Most rtrs come with AA battery holders to hold 4 alkaline batteries. You will soon want to upgrade to a rechargeable pack for the receiver. You need 8 AA batteries for the Transmitter as well, but you can get 8 rechargeable AA cells and most transmitters have a 12v charge plug to charge the batteries while in the transmitter. You will also need a glow igniter.