RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   MGT 8.0 won't start (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/7223880-mgt-8-0-wont-start.html)

pzr 03-14-2008 11:30 AM

MGT 8.0 won't start

Hi gang, well I went to break my MGT in today, fueled it up, put in a new OS A3 glow plug, heated it up, primed the engine, pulled the trigger on the starter, nothing.

Played with the LSN richening a bit, it started for half a second or so, with the aid of the starter, kept playing with the LSN, and it sort of started for a few seconds, then died, then wouldn't start again, I think the longest I had it running was 5-10 seconds, I noticed air bubbles in the fuel line and thought it might be cutting out because of no fuel, and the pressure line kept getting clogged up, I sorted that, by this time, my **** glow starter battery has died, so I find a D Cell that is putting out 1.5v on a multimeter and used the AE glow starter (which has no indicator on it) tested it on a plug out of the engine, seemed to be working.

Tried to get it started again, nothing.

Reset all the needles, nothing, try a few more glow plugs, nothing.

I then noticed that the primer wasn't actually doing anything anymore, when I squeezed it, no fuel was being pumped, it was rock solid, despite the engine being turned over, so there can't be any flooding or fuel in it?, when I removed the fuel line from the carb, it came out fine, I turned the engine over with no glow plug in to make sure the engine wasn't flooded or something, it wasn't.

But the fuel still wouldn't go in, no matter how hard you squeezed the prime bulb.

By this time I'm getting quite annoyed, so I packed it up.

I don't think I'm in the mood to try again today, but do you have any advice on what's going on, why no fuel was going in, even though it had been earlier and I had it running for 5-10 seconds.

I'm worried that I've screwed my piston up as well, it looked a bit pitted looking through the glow plug hole.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I'm running 16% nitro, 12% oil, with an OS A3 plug, it was probably 60f outside.

Thanks, again, help will be appreciated, as I have £400 of nothing right now. :(

shanty140 03-14-2008 12:45 PM

RE: MGT 8.0 won't start

When I first got my savage it would stay running either for more then 5 seconds. Turns out it was just to rich from factory, so I would lean the HSN 1/8 turns till she stay's running. Don't go crazy, if you notice leaning the HSN is not helping, then don't push it.

EDIT: Sorry I should read your post more clearly, I don't no what to say about moving the fuel.

iexion 03-14-2008 01:15 PM

Im not sure if the 8.0 has a two or three needle carb Back first even tho you already did this. Re-set the needles by closing them all the way, then opening them three full turns. But this time open the HSN only 2-1/2 turns.

When dealing with a flooding engine i take out the glow plug (with the small washer with it) and turn the whole truck upside down then use the pullstart or which ever you may have with it to empty out the engine of fuel. Use a spin start for 5 seconds or use the pull start for 10 pulls. That should clear any flooded engine.

Now if the engine DOESNT turn over then you already know the engine might be broke.

IF the engine starts then does its either one of two things. either its too rich or its too lean. You said its hard to get fuel into the engine so try putting some fuel right into the carb's air intake then test it again. the engine should start.

Now matter what. An working engine WILL start, but trying to figure out whats wrong with it is the hard part.
So the first thing is to see if there is fuel getting into the engine. Then if there IS fuel getting into the engine you just have a bad tune.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5517128/tm.htm]HERE[/link] is a link to a tuning guide. Its a LLOONNGG read but give you the most information on tuning a RC engine. Hope this helps:eek:

Also, you have to have patience to get the hang of this stuff:D

twomanytoys 03-14-2008 08:03 PM

Sounds like you closed the low speed needle too much so its not letting fuel into the carb. The low speed needle should be flush with the bell. richen the low speed needle till it starts to take fuel in again.

Brett001 03-16-2008 03:10 PM

I just got my MGT 8.0 middle of the week had the same problem i contacted the dealer and they said to up the idle and lean out the low speed just to get it broken in. I wouldnt worry if it moves on idle you can sort this out after break in, worked for me i have 1 question though why does the carb have 4 screws??

Elite_Tux487 03-16-2008 03:17 PM

Ones the idle screw..one is the high speed another is the low speed and the last one secures the carb to the crank case.

FIDDIE269 03-18-2008 09:29 AM

I bought a mgt 8.0 after one tank of fuel wouldn't stay running without ni starter on glow plug, turned out to be a bad conecting rod causing pieces to get into glow plug local hobby shop took apart to find this out, so after $600 and one tank of fuel now waiting for parts from ae

Elite_Tux487 03-18-2008 09:57 AM

Did AE cover the costs for the parts?

buck in rut 03-18-2008 11:21 PM

i had the same problem with mine i set the high side 3 1/4 and the low side to 7 turns and turned the idle up one full turn and got it running i also use a mc9 plug if you do have any engine issues associated will repair engines for free in the first 90 days free of charge it will only cost shipping check for air leaks in fuel lines zip tie all the fittings and it will help hope this helps

buck in rut 03-18-2008 11:22 PM

i had the same problem with mine i set the high side 3 1/4 and the low side to 7 turns and turned the idle up one full turn and got it running i also use a mc9 plug if you do have any engine issues associated will repair engines for free in the first 90 days free of charge it will only cost shipping check for air leaks in fuel lines zip tie all the fittings and it will help hope this helps