RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Which Monster Truck Would You Buy? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/7631783-monster-truck-would-you-buy.html)

NOIC 06-17-2008 11:08 PM

Which Monster Truck Would You Buy?

I'm in the market for a Monster Truck and money is not an issue. Your comments would be appreciated in helping me choose which one to buy. I am considering these presently:

Team Associated MGT 8.0
HPI Savage XL
Traxxas Revo 2008 Platinum Edition
CEN Racing GST 7.7 (Genesis Super Truck)
CEN Racing Nemesis 7.7
Losi LST2

Currenty I have an MBX5R Buggy and I love the quality and speed so I'm looking for the same thing in a truck. Speed, Endurance, Quality Any suggestions you can offer, Pro or Con are welcome.

Sugafree 06-17-2008 11:21 PM

RE: Which Monster Truck Would You Buy?

LST2

IloveMYxt2 06-18-2008 12:06 AM

LST2 wins my choice.

sfar785 06-18-2008 12:21 AM

Savage X...not the XL, but the X :D

novakmaxx 06-18-2008 12:26 AM

I had a LST2. I liked it a lot but I never drove a revo. I like the shocks on the revo. The Platinum Edition revo has a lot of traxxas upgrades I like that about it too. The LST2 was very strong. It never broke all the time I had it. I would buy the LST2 or a revo.

HerrSavage 06-18-2008 12:38 AM

LST2 - cuz it's fast, strong, handles great, and is basically the total package.

Then go to jennysrcparts chop shop on e-bay, buy all the Muggy parts you need, and Muggify your LST2, so it looks like this....(my Muggy):

:D

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...y/DSC04677.jpg

EG1 06-18-2008 09:53 AM

Are you going to race or bash or both?

For all out bashing the LST2 and savage are great. For racing the LST2 and revo are the ticket.

I've owned all 3 btw...

Muggy250r 06-18-2008 10:02 AM

i had a muggy and i got rid of it and got a savage x 4.6f and havnt looked bad yet... i love the savage a 100000x more! its great!!!

so i vote savage!!!

Clymer122693 06-18-2008 10:43 AM

I would buy mine :D

RCtruckRacer 06-18-2008 11:43 AM

If money is no object, and it will strictly be a basher, I would look at some 1/5 - 1/6 scale gasoline powered r/c's.

binaryterror 06-18-2008 12:59 PM

You like the handling and performance of a Buggy, you will not truely be satisfied with any MT, their handling and power are not even close to a Buggy. Granted I still like my MT's but there is a line.

If i read your post right you want something as good as possible and still a TRUCK. I'd personally say you want a Truggy, not an MT. There are many great truggys out there, heck even Mugen makes a nice one (which would help since you own a Mugen already and some parts interchange).

As far as MT's go for handling and racing with bashing as well there are only 2 strong contenders for the serious racer which is an LST2 or a Revo. Bashing the Savage seems to be top dog, but all the trucks bash well.

NOIC 06-18-2008 02:17 PM

Well I really appreciate all the responses and if there are more, please keep them coming. Just to clear up a few things, I "do" like my buggy, but that is a different avenue. When I'm running the buggy it is for speed and agility. How fast I can get around the track, etc. What I want in a truck is more bashing I guess. I want to take big jumps without breaking it every time, but I still want it fast. Having said that, I think a truggy is "not" really what I'm looking for, but I wanted to get the choices out there before I made a commitment. I think I'm leaning towards the Savage XL (it's big) or the REVO (lots of hop ups), but I'm still listening to all of you. Thanks again.

twomanytoys 06-18-2008 02:28 PM

Not sure why you would think a truggy would not be as fast or jump as well as a MT. My Truggy will jump higher and farther than my Savage and its just as fast. I have NEVER broken a part on my truggy and I race it alot. I have broke quite a few things on my Savage. A truggy will be stronger and built better than a MT. The only thing you gain in a MT is ground clearance. If you are thinking of a Revo, thats as close to a truggy as you can get so why not consider a truggy?

NOIC 06-18-2008 02:45 PM

I agree with everthing you said twomanytoys. I think I want something that can over rougher ground, still have lots of power, but not be a clunker on flat terrain either. Yes the REVO is what appears to be a truggy. That's why I wanted all of your opinions. My local hobby stores don't stock any of them so I can't even look. Maybe I need a little more advice on what's best. My goal is to cover the roughest ground, but not rock crawling, have all the power, but stay in the 1/8th category. And of coarse duribilty. I've gone through the fixing it every time you run it phase. That is why I bought the Mugen. Just looking for the same quality. Had I really wanted a truggy, I would have gotten the MBX5T, but I want something less for racing and more for bashing.

johnsland8 06-18-2008 09:20 PM

I find it interesting that the Associated MGT 8.0 is a distant second to the LST2 in the voting at 20% but there isn't a single comment about it yet?

Anybody have the story on that one?

duckedup 06-18-2008 11:08 PM

ORIGINAL: johnsland8

I find it interesting that the Associated MGT 8.0 is a distant second to the LST2 in the voting at 20% but there isn't a single comment about it yet?

From just across the river huh? right on [sm=thumbup.gif]

I've owned 3 MGT 4.6's, and they're great trucks. The 8.0 has a bigger engine (obviously) and some beefed up drivetrain parts, but AE just wasn't all that creative with their 3rd revision of this truck. The MMGT, on the other hand, is a sweet little truck IMO, I've beat on mine pretty good and it's held up to most of it :) I voted LST2 in this poll, it's just a killer truck all around. The Revo Platinum is nice also, but the price is steep IMO, and then you've gotta buy a bump box (which is on back order for who knows how long :eek:) plus radio etc, by that time you're into it over a grand easily (based on prices at my store) - killer truck - too much $.

twomanytoys 06-18-2008 11:27 PM

The MGT is tough as heck and super easy to work on. Only upgrade I would do is RPM a arms and change the rear bumper to the 4.6 version. Other than that its rock solid and GOBBBSSSS of torque. LST2 would be the best all around truck. I love my Savages and the MGT but prefer the driving the Savages. I think if you have the money go for the LST2. If it were between the Savage XL and MGT 8.0 it would be a toss up.

xraycer71 06-18-2008 11:38 PM

Every week someone would come here and ask the same question: "What truck should I get?"
And every week you get the same replies from people recommending the truck they own. I think a lot of members just get tired of replying/debating the same old question of, essentially, what's the BEST monster truck. So, I believe that is why many just choose to vote through the poll rather than leaving a post.

My vote is for the MGT 8.0 - Its got brutal power, can take a beating, and most importantly its design/engineering makes servicing and maintenances just about enjoyable.
My Losi Mega Baja is right up there too. My Warhead is another story.......although I do love this truck just as much. But, for me the other best thing about this hobby is the wrenching aspect..............as long as the wrenching produces the desired result(s):D

Just pick the one that visually appeals to you. More likely than not, you'll be happy with your decision. BTW, if money is not an issue then get 2 trucks because you're gonna need to get your nitro fix while you're waiting on parts for your down vehicle;)

Mspeed 06-18-2008 11:44 PM

I have a revo and a savage x. Since the platium revo has come out, traxxas has really moved up on the scale of things. Most of the issues I had with my revo have been fixed with the platium plus you get alot of really nice things that the standard revo never had. If you are thinking of racing its got you covered. Just bashing its great too. It already has a bigger tank so if you want to go bigblock your set up for it. I was not too thrilled with my savage, yes it was over all tough, but so has my revo. The innovation and after market is what I like about the revo. Valving in the shocks on the platium, sway bars, tuneable center diff, adjustable front/rear brake bias, plenty of steering, slipper that rides on a bearing has cooling fins and uses lasting material. It all works, but if bigger rigs is what your looking for, I would try the LSt2

fm2h3 06-19-2008 02:40 AM

MGT has the most power, cen sucks, traxxas sucks, LST2 has the mast durablility, savage nice balance of both. i would personally by a MGT over all

The Hedgehog 06-19-2008 07:39 AM

Personally I think you can't go wrong with the Revo, LST2, or Savage. I am currently deciding between a LST2 or Revo for racing as the Savage isn't so great on the track.

binaryterror 06-19-2008 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: NOIC

I agree with everthing you said twomanytoys. I think I want something that can over rougher ground, still have lots of power, but not be a clunker on flat terrain either. Yes the REVO is what appears to be a truggy. That's why I wanted all of your opinions. My local hobby stores don't stock any of them so I can't even look. Maybe I need a little more advice on what's best. My goal is to cover the roughest ground, but not rock crawling, have all the power, but stay in the 1/8th category. And of coarse duribilty. I've gone through the fixing it every time you run it phase. That is why I bought the Mugen. Just looking for the same quality. Had I really wanted a truggy, I would have gotten the MBX5T, but I want something less for racing and more for bashing.
I know its likely a hike, but head up to Larry's Performance RC's in Sterling Heights. Not only do they stock all you list, they have them out of the box on display so you can touch and see them better. Their prices are also very good, usually beating Tower...

Just an option.

Snaut Rocket 06-19-2008 10:30 AM

Well in his post he wanted speed, endurance and quality.
And he owns a mugen.
So Im guessing you like to race.
There fore i think the platnum revo will fit your need really good.

SAVAGEBANE 06-19-2008 02:21 PM

he said
"My goal is to cover the roughest ground, but not rock crawling, have all the power, but stay in the 1/8th category. And of coarse duribilty. I've gone through the fixing it every time you run it phase. That is why I bought the Mugen. Just looking for the same quality. ........... but I want something less for racing and more for bashing. "
he also said
"What I want in a truck is more bashing I guess. I want to take big jumps without breaking it every time, but I still want it fast."

i have only been doing nitro MT for 6mo. and to me all that is stated above spells SAVAGE. i am not just sayoing that because thats what i got, as a matter of fact i usually dont like to see everyone with the same thing as me. i would actually highly recomend LST2 very very strongly because it feels more refined that the savagebeast when driving it. all that he mentioned is power, durability, bashing, and ground clearance (rough terrain). once again that spells savage...... seriously i would try to catch up with some cats running both trucks so you can see and possibly test drive.
just my 2 cents (more like ten cents, sorry for the long post)

Lilredmachine 06-19-2008 06:30 PM

He also said it can't be clunky on road, last time I drove a Savage it was like vaguely twiddling some sticks and watching the wobbly blob in front of you sort of respond in a not to hurried fashion, usually ending up on it's roof, then stripping a spur gear and doing a diff. Fun, but hardly truck of the year material at the moment.

Only way to decide is to try and get a drive on each. If you have no limit money wise then the Revo plat. is a great choice, it's as tough as the normal Revo and has the handling to make truggies cry. Though the 3.3 motor is an aquired taste.

OR if you wanted to go nuts, you could pick up a new E-revo and outfit it with a brushless system to wake the dead. A big Neu motor on 6s will easily thrash any nitro motor in any truck you care to point at. But it just depends if you want the nitro 'experience' (never got that, it just seems to mean that people enjoy being dirty, cleaning for hours, having a headache from incessant noise and nitro fumes and spending a fortune on a thimble of fuel, and having their arses railed on by guys with electrics)

You can't go wrong with an MGT 8.0, bigger than the Savage XL and got the power to back it up.