RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   OPINION which is more durable Savage 4.6 or MGT 4.6? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/8493224-opinion-more-durable-savage-4-6-mgt-4-6-a.html)

coyotegod 02-18-2009 11:12 PM

OPINION which is more durable Savage 4.6 or MGT 4.6?

One of this is my next basher!

sheograth 02-18-2009 11:17 PM

RE: OPINION which is more durable Savage 4.6 or MGT 4.6?

I'd go with the Savage. I've owned both and both are very good, but my experience was that the savage was beefier, and more stores stock parts for them.

If you really like the MGT for some reason, it's not a bad truck at all - you can't go wrong with either of them for bashing.

MadManAndrew 02-18-2009 11:18 PM

Savage, it's the most durable truck on the market.

coyotegod 02-18-2009 11:20 PM

I like that the MGT 4.6 has reverse.

twomanytoys 02-18-2009 11:30 PM

ORIGINAL: MadManAndrew

Savage, it's the most durable truck on the market.

NOT! Yes its a great truck but its definately not the toughest.

The MGt is a great truck. Only problem I have had was the tranny. I removed reverse and installed the forward only conversion and its been great since. Removing reverse takes a ton of rotating mass out from the tranny. It makes it quicker, faster and more durable. Mine is about 3yrs old and still on the original driveline. Cant count how many driveline parts I have broke on both my savages.

Barber420 02-18-2009 11:31 PM

I have no experience with the Savages, but I can vouch for the MMGT, MGT 4.6, and MGT 8.0. They are all awesome trucks! The chrome parts on the bumper break and maybe an A-arm once in a while, but that's about it unless you're doing REALLY crazy stuff with it.

The Hedgehog 02-19-2009 08:34 AM

I have my original Savage 25, bash it hard the only thing I replaced in years of hard bashing is one bent shock (my fault) and some screws...

binaryterror 02-19-2009 10:59 AM

I don't think you would be going wrong with either.

Both pretty well known to be strong. Everything will break. Both have quality motors and good parts support.

The Savage series has a bit larger aftermarket though.

BigGrump 02-19-2009 11:19 AM

They are both good trucks, with the Savage being so much more popular, with a much larger aftermarket and so many hobby shops have replacment parts. I would recommend the new Savages, that are easier to work on, in that now you can get to the trans and diffs without so much mechanical work.

Dennis

SAVAGEJIM 02-19-2009 07:42 PM

Just form my opinion, I say the Savage is the toughest. Now, the MGT is a hardy truck also, and I bet it can bash along side of a Savage, but being a Savage fan, my passion lies in the Savage.

Honestly, either truck is great. You will not be disappointed with either.

twomanytoys 02-19-2009 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Just form my opinion, I say the Savage is the toughest. Now, the MGT is a hardy truck also, and I bet it can bash along side of a Savage, but being a Savage fan, my passion lies in the Savage.

You can honestly say the Savage is the toughest?[:-] Shall I pull up all the savage bad diff posts. I would say that the Savage has some of the weakest diffs out of any truck. My t maxx with a picco 21 didnt break as many diffs as my savages. But hey with a name like Savagejim why else would you think different.

MadManAndrew 02-19-2009 08:38 PM

I can go down full throttle form a 6 foot jump and not damage my X diffs. They have to be the storngest diffs I've ever seen, except for the CEN diffs or course. You must have extemely bad luck if you think the Savage has some of the worst diffs..

twomanytoys 02-19-2009 09:00 PM

You can search all teh savage diff problems and see im not the only one that has had problems. I bash all my trucks the same and all are equipped with LRp engines so power is equal. MGT and Aftershock all still on original driveline. Both savage have been through several diffs, drive shafts adn dog bones. I dont think its bad luck.

SAVAGEJIM 02-19-2009 09:26 PM

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

You can honestly say the Savage is the toughest?[:-] Shall I pull up all the savage bad diff posts. I would say that the Savage has some of the weakest diffs out of any truck. My t maxx with a picco 21 didnt break as many diffs as my savages. But hey with a name like Savagejim why else would you think different.

Easy now, I didnt come here to get roasted for just posting my opinion.

As I said, I am speaking from my opinion, and based on my opinion, I can honestly say in my opinion it is the toughest. Afterall, the OP spelled "opinion" in all caps, so I gave my opinion. (I wonder how many times I said "opinion" already? [sm=teeth_smile.gif] )

Of course, since I said in my very first phrase of my post that it is only my opinion, I didnt say to make any conclusive statements.

Dont get me wrong, the brittle weak casting of the Savage's diff gears are not the best, and I have stripped a few myself from doing some stupid stuff. I agree, and I hope HPI is taking notes, the cast outer bevel diff gears are not cutting it, even from my point of view, my opinion, and my experience, HPI should have gone with high carbon machined steel, not the brittle low carbon high sulfur iron they use for the 43T outer diff bevel. I personally would also prefer HPI to spiral cut the outer bevel; the helicals would distribute the forces over a much larger tooth contact surface as well as allow for smoother turning.

HJJFFFAA 02-19-2009 09:29 PM

Don't mess with Jim. He's smarter than you...

MadManAndrew 02-19-2009 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

[X(]:):Dlol, funny, but true.

twomanytoys 02-19-2009 10:46 PM

Easy now, I didnt come here to get roasted for just posting my opinion.

As I said, I am speaking from my opinion, and based on my opinion, I can honestly say in my opinion it is the toughest. Afterall, the OP spelled "opinion" in all caps, so I gave my opinion. (I wonder how many times I said "opinion" already? [sm=teeth_smile.gif] )

Of course, since I said in my very first phrase of my post that it is only my opinion, I didnt say to make any conclusive statements.

Dont get me wrong, the brittle weak casting of the Savage's diff gears are not the best, and I have stripped a few myself from doing some stupid stuff. I agree, and I hope HPI is taking notes, the cast outer bevel diff gears are not cutting it, even from my point of view, my opinion, and my experience, HPI should have gone with high carbon machined steel, not the brittle low carbon high sulfur iron they use for the 43T outer diff bevel. I personally would also prefer HPI to spiral cut the outer bevel; the helicals would distribute the forces over a much larger tooth contact surface as well as allow for smoother turning.

Who is roasting anyone? I did not roast anyone. Nor did I roast you. You said that the savage is the toughest! I asked you a question HONESTLY asking your opinion on the Savages toughness knowing that you are a Savage guy. I am also a Savage guy but im not going to lie and say the Savage is the toughest. Ok maybe you dont have experience with other trucks. Thats fair but if thats so then you also cant HONESTLY compair the Savage to other trucks to make an HONEST opinion of it. I have just about every name brand truck out and can honestly say that the Savage is not the toughest. It has its weak points just like all other trucks but these weak points are the most important part of the truck. It dont matter how tough the truck is if you cant keep the diffs together. Now that you stated that the Savage DOES have weak diffs backs up my statement. Yes the Savage is known to be the best basher and a really tough truck but you can at least point out the weak points so others are informed waht they might be getting into. SavageJim I respect your opinion. You have been here a long time as I also have been and I have taken alot of advise from your posts. Most of us are not going to agree on everything other say. This is just one of those times. Sorry if I offended you. I did not mean to come off that way.

twomanytoys 02-19-2009 10:53 PM

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

HJJFFFAA

As for you saying that SavageJim is smarter than me is as idiotic as they come. You have no clue who I am, what I know, who I know or even my name for that matter. Im not a 12yo kid playing on the net to get a rise from someone on the forums. I have been in rc for over 20yrs. I did not flame anyone. I just had to disagree with SJ on his honest opinion of teh savages toughness. Not everyone here is going to agree. I understand you are kinda new here. I would never disrespect or bash anyone here on the forums because of thier opinions or what they do or do not know. I am straight forward and tell it like it is. Hopefully one day you can do the same.

HJJFFFAA 02-19-2009 11:29 PM

Relax, I saw an opportunity for some sarcasm and took it. I didn't mean it to be serious. I realize I don't know you and that is why I figured it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

twomanytoys 02-19-2009 11:42 PM

Thats cool. Usually when you post sarcasm you put some kind of smiley face after the comment to show the meaning of the comment. No biggie!:D

HJJFFFAA 02-19-2009 11:54 PM

Glad to have that sorted out. Don't want any "bad blood" spoiling the fun around here.

twomanytoys 02-20-2009 10:41 AM

Fun? I thought this was fun.;)

KILL--ROY 02-20-2009 06:46 PM

I have had both trucks.
The savage was the best.
The tranny in the mgt is crap, other than that it is a good truck, very easy to tune.

twomanytoys 02-20-2009 10:12 PM

Upgrade the tranny in the MGT to a forward only conversion and it will be bulletproof. It removes all the weak parts in the tranny and almost 1/4 lb of rotating mass. It will make it quicker, higher top speeds and bulletproof. Savage has weak diffs, drive shafts and dog bones. So either way they both have weak links but the MGT is remedied alot easier.

SAVAGEJIM 02-20-2009 11:40 PM

I have just about every name brand truck out and can honestly say that the Savage is not the toughest. It has its weak points just like all other trucks but these weak points are the most important part of the truck. It dont matter how tough the truck is if you cant keep the diffs together. Now that you stated that the Savage DOES have weak diffs backs up my statement. Yes the Savage is known to be the best basher and a really tough truck but you can at least point out the weak points so others are informed waht they might be getting into. SavageJim I respect your opinion. You have been here a long time as I also have been and I have taken alot of advise from your posts. Most of us are not going to agree on everything other say. This is just one of those times. Sorry if I offended you. I did not mean to come off that way.

Look, everyone knows the Savage too has its weak points.
I'll be honest with you, at first, I didnt appreciate your tone of this and your other post. But since you apologized for what could be taken as offensive, I understand. Just ease up on your tone, you were coming off like you were talking hard, thats all.

I am not lying, I hold this opinion in favor for the Savage, and because it is my favourite truck, of course I speak from a biased opnion. But I do recognize the strong points of other trucks too.

These are some of my beefs I have with the Savage also, so my bias is tempered. I recognize that it has its own faults as I have personally experienced them too. I already admitted and agreed with you the Savage diffs are not made with the best metals for the bashing task. And the Savage reverse module? I would not touch that with a 10ft pole especially with today's higher torque engines. I also dont like the fact that the Savage only has one brake set when other trucks have two (some Cenchain Nemesis/Geneses trucks have two, the Revo can mount two). The plastic fomula that HPI started using for Savage X series is not as durable as the non-X Savage plastics. I personally do not like the HPI TF radios and SF servos. But that is a bias I have from using higher grade radios. I dont like the Kingstar-Nitrostar engines much either, but again, that is a bias from running more powerful aftermarket engines.

Aside from some of the criticisms I have of the Savage, I still like it despite its shortfalls. And I am not trying to hide the fact that I am biased for the Savage.