RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   REDCAT RACING? ANY GOOD? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/8660221-redcat-racing-any-good.html)

jonnymobil 04-08-2009 01:19 AM

REDCAT RACING? ANY GOOD?

well i have a cousin that has a shop so basicly i can buy anything i want at cost and i am looking at the redcat landslide .18.
i like the fact that it is a 1/8 scale truck with a small block.now most people would think i am strange because it may not go as fast,but i have plenty of trucks that go fast enough ,i am wanting something for someone else to use to try to get my friends into the sport,something that is not too hard to tune and those little sh small blocks run no matter how bad the tune is.not hard to tune like a high strung big block.also the tank is very large in comparison the the size of the engine so runtimes should be very long.also the truck is also avalable with a .21 so the .18 should never make enough sttress to break anything in the drivetrain.this is a plus in my book.

those are the positives,but what are the negatives?

is it hard to find parts?

should i get the .21

should i get the volcano with the .18?

is there anything that is "unfixable" about it?like the trans gears or something?

Is there anything that would make me regret buying it?keeping in mind i have lots of other rc trucks and buggies.

Does anyone have one?how do you like it?hows the build quality?

I went on the redcat website and it shows a bunch of picstures of the body but doesnt really show too much into the mechanical side of the truck? not too much info or specs on the real meat of the truck?id like to know gear ratios?hex size?servo numbers?you know the stuff that any other company would surely put on there site?seems strange that stuff aint on there ya know?but the trucks looks like it worth giving redcat a try.

ITS A KILLER PRICE!!!!

SO WHOULD I GET ONE OR NOT????????

chevyderek72 04-08-2009 01:56 AM

RE: REDCAT RACING? ANY GOOD?

I wouldnt post outside the redcat forum, a lot of people have no idea, they might have heard something, or just think they are crap. Lots of ignorance out there.

derrick05 04-08-2009 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: chevyderek72

I wouldnt post outside the redcat forum, a lot of people have no idea, they might have heard something, or just think they are crap. Lots of ignorance out there.
Nice post,thats the best advice/answer that could have been given;)

241 racing 04-09-2009 07:37 AM

There Junk[:'(] sorry had to say it:D.The 1/8th scale red cat's are alot better than there 10th stuff so thats a plus.My buddy bought a landslide last year and we all told him he was a fool for buying the thing.To all our surpise it has held up really well and the sh is a very reliable mill with decient but not great power.He has broke a few things but nothing major for how hard he runs it,it's been a great truck that has taken alot of punishment with very few issues.The only complaint he has had is it's underpowered and red cat has a hard time at times with keeping parts in stock,other than that it's a solid truck.I would get the 21 just for the fact that it's a decient size truck so the extra power would be a plus.If you can get it at cost I would say go for it.

twomanytoys 04-09-2009 12:21 PM

There are alot better trucks out for alot less money than the redcats. You can get teh MMGT 3.0 for under 200.00. Cant beat that deal period. I started my oldest son off with a redcat for his first nitro and it was decent but he quickly outgrew it and needed something more durable and faster. My youngest son has his first nitro and its a mgt4.6. I know he wont outgrow it and its tough as nails. No need to upgrade his truck for a long while. Sometimes buying cheap is not always a good deal in the long run.

trapshoota 04-29-2009 09:50 AM

i wouldnt buy one.. i have the volcano t2 and all i have had is problems....and the parts......cant find them anywhere besides on the redcat website...thats how they get you they sell you your truck for cheap and then charge you an arm and a leg for there parts..and let me tell you youll be fixing them more than you drive the darn thing....so all in all there crap!!!!

breezerboat 04-29-2009 11:02 AM

I did buy a Redcat first. It breaks a lot. I now drive a MMGT and it's built like a tank compared to my Redcat. Actually I don't drive my redcat any more b/c I don't want it to break again.

sheograth 05-01-2009 02:43 AM

You can do better, let's just put it that way.

army2000ng 09-03-2009 01:19 PM

The Earthquake 3.5 is a good truck with the .21 engine. In any forum people will give you there negative and positive about other trucks. I've used this Earthquake since it came out and am very satisfied. I have others, but this one seems to hold up pretty good, not to say that others don't.

richardtf 09-03-2009 02:48 PM

i once owned a volcano sv,it breaks a lot,i spend more time and money fixing it,considering i never bashed or beat the hell out of it,its just to crappy....so one day got tired i throw it away:D

THE BASHER 09-03-2009 03:08 PM

stay well clear mate, i have spent more in parts than the truck is worth to start with.;)

FP 4LC4PON3 09-03-2009 03:56 PM

I have to agree stay clear. i know a couple of guys who bought 1/8 monsters and lets just say its been forever and they still cant get them to run to break in. you can get a Mini MGT 3.0 Monster for 200-250 or a OFNA LX One 1/8th buggy for 249. both of those destroy any redcat product and cost the same.

link for the MGT at tower 259.99 and if you put in the Code on towers front page you get 25 dollars off.

CDN_Crippler 09-03-2009 08:29 PM

Me and a friend both had volcano SV's. The motors were great, but the rest of the truck was total trash. I would never buy another redcat product again...

SAVAGEJIM 09-04-2009 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: army2000ng

The Earthquake 3.5 is a good truck with the .21 engine. In any forum people will give you there negative and positive about other trucks. I've used this Earthquake since it came out and am very satisfied. I have others, but this one seems to hold up pretty good, not to say that others don't.
This thread too has been inactive for some time, just like the other thread you resurrected.

It is very clear you are a Redcat salesman, you website shows you carry them.

However, by responding to old threads like this, this is kind of spamming (Shilling).

Darin Oreman, RedCat's owner, has already bought official ad banners on RCU. Allow the official banners do their thing.

army2000ng 09-05-2009 03:45 PM

I responded to the old Forum without paying attentiion to the date. Having a redcat as my own is no different than owning a Traxxas and HPI which I also own. I speak good of products I like not just the ones I sell. People are constantly badging other vehicles only because they own one or two, but the fact its everyone who owns a product of any kind will judge whether good or bad. I spoke of the two because someone wanted too know whether REDCAT vehicle are a good choice, to many they are and to some they aren't.

SAVAGEJIM 09-05-2009 08:01 PM

Well, since you also own Traxxas and HPI, I must ask, why havent you dug up Traxxas and HPI threads also?

If anything, the Redcat forum where your already post in often is your best market source. And if you want to cater to Traxass ans HPI customers, those forums are you good source too.

All I am saying is there is no need to shill a product all over RCU.

phreaktor 09-08-2009 05:39 PM

Good luck buying parts at your LHS. My brother had a 1.10th scale car from them and the craftmanship/engineering was very poor. I mean Philips head screws for ENGINE MOUNTS? A rotary carb? I put them one step below Duratraxx -minus the availability of parts. Have any of you actually disassembled one of their 1/10th on road car 2 speed trannies? LOL. Have a look on their site at the exploded views of the chassis. You can barely even see anything.

army2000ng 09-08-2009 06:09 PM

I have on both. Thanks

Nitro Killer Dave 04-29-2010 02:54 AM

I am thinking of getting a Redcat Vortex with a brushless for $149.00. Does anybody know about these trucks?  The video looks great.  I also own an Exceed Titan, and a VH-X5. Now everybody knows that sooner or later something is bound to break.  That's why they make them without upgrades. If parts didn't break, the co. would most likely go broke. Even the most expensive RC's break. If you aint breaking something now and then you must be either lucky or your to afraid to go WFO!  That's my moto, and I'm sticking to it!

army2000ng 04-29-2010 03:46 PM

Redcat is an upcoming r/c company. I have some in my game room and have had nothing but fun with them. The Vortex is truely a good vehicle, I also own HPI, Traxxas and others. Even though some feel different about each others brand I feel Redcat is and sells good quality vehicles. I gave an Electric Vortex to my friend in Iraq, he tells me it runs bad ass. It will always depend on the user, but I feel any vehicle must be judged by the person using it. Hope this helps.

Nitro Killer Dave 04-29-2010 04:13 PM

Ya the co. I'm getting it from screwed up on my order, so they offered me what they had for a good price! The real price for the Vortex is $179.95. I was also interested inin the 1/10 Rockslide for $119.99. I'll be ordering the Vortex next week. I'll see if I can get the Rockslide later. My wife is'ant too happy with me. I also have a Hobbyzone 3 ch. Supercub. I'm not ready for a 4 ch. yet.