RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   New Schumacher Manic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/8903128-new-schumacher-manic.html)

guy4x4 07-03-2009 07:00 AM

New Schumacher Manic

Don't know if this has been posted but found this truck and looks pretty sweet it has twin engine here is link.
http://www.racing-cars.com/usa/main.asp?sitepages=manic

rcnitrohead 07-03-2009 02:27 PM

RE: New Schumacher Manic

Wow, that looks complex to say the least- but its showing that companies are beginning to consider other engine options. Now someone just needs to make it so they share a crankcase :) Truck looks like a beast.

guy4x4 07-03-2009 03:16 PM

Looks like they are coming out with a brushless version too I might get one of the two if the price is right.
http://www.racing-cars.com/products.asp?partno=news987

del1969 07-03-2009 05:24 PM

That is one killer truck:D

Lilredmachine 07-06-2009 04:59 AM

ORIGINAL: guy4x4

Looks like they are coming out with a brushless version too I might get one of the two if the price is right.
http://www.racing-cars.com/products.asp?partno=news987

The manic nitro is gonna be around 550 quid in the UK according to schumacher's RRP. Bit high, but it's prolly that motor pushing prices up.

You can't see from that picture or two of the E-manic, but it's actually belt drive which is odd and typical of schumacher.

jikkuria 07-06-2009 01:13 PM

that is the only thing that turns me off of that chassis, belts.

Bluebrew 07-11-2009 10:09 AM

I'm always looking for new and different stuff and that truck sure is just that! Thanks for posting it. While I too find an offroad belter odd, in my experience, on-road cars get crudier with microfine dust packed into every nook and cranny in a very short time. Always found off-roaders easier to clean. Boil it down and I doubt the belts would be any worse to maintain than a on-road.

The engines:very cool set-up but does it run any better than a decent .21? Basically you have twin side exhaust .18's sharing one carb with a suspect looking exhaust. I assume they did lots of R&D.

In the ad they mention the front and rear transmissions, do they mean diffs? There's no mention of multi or single speed trans. Do I see the Schumacher 3 speed over by the top end of the muffler and below what appears to be the brake linkage? That would be a +.

Did anyone else notice the "tower" between the steering draglink and bellcrank? Looks kinda like a bent bellcrank in the making.

All in all though...I'll bet I'll be looking into one in the near future!

SAVAGEJIM 07-11-2009 10:12 AM

First step of engine innovation: coupling two engines into "one" engine.

I am curious why they did not fully enclose the belt drive for an off-road RC. You Never want any exposed belts in an off-road machine since these will be exposed to rocks and all sorts of junk flying up.

Bluebrew 07-11-2009 10:28 AM

SJ, I have a Shumacher Menace GTR onroad with the enclosed 11mm belt and let me tell ya, that sucker gets just as much crap in there as an exposed belt maybe more because the junk can get in but not out! I figured the first thing I would get if I were to ever have one would be a buttload of belts.

Not trying to knock this new truck but can you imagine trying to start 2 fresh engines with a single roto-start. Could be interesting.

SAVAGEJIM 07-11-2009 10:40 AM

A power drill would be required. Hobby-grade roto starters in most cases are poorly designed and made of poor materials; thus teeth stripping and all.

For these two .18 engines coupled together, a power drill will have the torque to turn them both. But unfortunately, the stresses will nlly be transferred downstream: The roto back plate could fail (the teeth in those gears strip instead), or the coupling gear that connnects both engines together could fail thus only one engine starts and the other will never start again until that coupling gear is replaced.

I would hole that instead of cheap cast gears (which is inadequate to even start a single cylinder engine in many cases) that this engine has hardened steel gears instead.

BrandonFox28 07-11-2009 04:30 PM

Before buying a Schumacher, just keep in mind that parts are VERY hard to get in the U.S. and can take weeks. No LHS I know of sells Schumacher parts. I know this because my dad has a Menace .21 that he NEVER drives anymore because of this. Also, try to look past the engine. It is the typical crap Schumacher chassis. The shocks as always look horrible. Schumacher must not know how to thread shocks. Plus, we don't even know if the engine will run right yet. This is not a basher's truck.

pythonfan 07-11-2009 11:54 PM

ORIGINAL: BrandonFox28

Before buying a Schumacher, just keep in mind that parts are VERY hard to get in the U.S. and can take weeks. No LHS I know of sells Schumacher parts. I know this because my dad has a Menace .21 that he NEVER drives anymore because of this. Also, try to look past the engine. It is the typical crap Schumacher chassis. The shocks as always look horrible. Schumacher must not know how to thread shocks. Plus, we don't even know if the engine will run right yet. This is not a basher's truck.
well yes and know i know i have had my Buddie check in IL and they carry Schuchmacher, down by me every hobby shop has them, but then again one of there factories is a hours drive which is also a hobby shop you can see all the proto's on display and a small museum of there older stuff.

Schuchmacher tho makes strong trucks and cars and has great support, there use to be one support site that sold parts online and it was 3day shipping max.

And the not a bashers truck i think that's false its a bashers truck, any is no matter what twin motor its just the more advance basher... Tho i do agree on the motors two motors on there own will run differently no two the same, but both on a single carb this will sure be something to see, but I'm sure they have done there home work.

What i find funny for me is, there is a hobby shop not 5 min away that's running out of a mobile home that use to be a dog grooming place and they have nothing but Schuchmacher and traxxas, they did have hpi and losi.

jbooker82 07-12-2009 12:00 AM

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

A power drill would be required. Hobby-grade roto starters in most cases are poorly designed and made of poor materials; thus teeth stripping and all.

For these two .18 engines coupled together, a power drill will have the torque to turn them both. But unfortunately, the stresses will nlly be transferred downstream: The roto back plate could fail (the teeth in those gears strip instead), or the coupling gear that connnects both engines together could fail thus only one engine starts and the other will never start again until that coupling gear is replaced.

I would hole that instead of cheap cast gears (which is inadequate to even start a single cylinder engine in many cases) that this engine has hardened steel gears instead.
I dont know if it would be much harder on the staritng gear. I am sure the engines are timed so when 1 engine is at Top Dead Center the other is at Bottom Dead Center. Yea there will be a little more drag but it is only compressing the air and fuel in one engine at a time. One pisotn is on its way up the other is on its way down.

It would have been cool if they used rear round exhaust port engines. Imagine two OS .18 TZ Turbos coupled together. That would be a high reving small block.

Bluebrew 07-12-2009 06:08 AM

I want to see how those engines are syncronised. If they're coupled by gears at the flywheel (as it appears) the second engine would have to run backwards! Nah... there must be an idler gear between them.

Also guessing the cranks must be keyed in some way to assure flywheel timing. Timing marks...cool!

Hope they supply a second glow stick as I doubt you could start them one at a time. Maybe there's a OWB one the second engine.

Gotta hunt for more info on this thing!

SAVAGEJIM 07-13-2009 06:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Bluebrew

SJ, I have a Shumacher Menace GTR onroad with the enclosed 11mm belt and let me tell ya, that sucker gets just as much crap in there as an exposed belt maybe more because the junk can get in but not out! I figured the first thing I would get if I were to ever have one would be a buttload of belts.

Unfortunately, even that is not a fully enclosed belt drive. I have an HPI R40, and the front and read belts are supposedly "enclosed" but they are not at all, and taht is why rocks and stuff get in there.

A good example of a true fully enclosed belt drive is seen on FT competition 6th scale gasoline RCs. Absolutely nothing of the belt is exposed at all and if you use silicon to seal where the parts mate together, you literally have a waterproof belt drive!

If shumaker wanted to go belt for off-road, they should have fully enclosed the belts, even more enclosed than the menace.

Other than than, they couls have gone shaft and mounted the crankshafts so that they are mounted longitudinally instead of transversely and the idler gear that couples the two engines could also function as the spur gear.