RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   redcat racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/9260986-redcat-racing.html)

fastruck10 11-17-2009 06:18 PM

redcat racing

Is redcat racing good?

ThunderbirdJunkie 11-17-2009 06:46 PM

RE: redcat racing

Considering you can get an Aftershock for $30 more than their monster truck, doesn't seem like that great of a deal.

army2000ng 11-17-2009 08:07 PM

Yes they are pretty good, some who have other types of vehicles will tell you different.

ThunderbirdJunkie 11-17-2009 08:31 PM

Compare their Earthquake to a Savage or Aftershock or other name-brand monster truck, and then come back and tell ThunderbirdJunkie the same thing :)

army2000ng 11-17-2009 09:09 PM

This was not a comparison, it was an opinion. Hundreds of other r/c vehicles in the market and I'd bet others will tell you those you mention are not better than those they have. Different strokes for different folks. I have a Savage and an Earthquake. I would not use my earthquake like I do my Savage.

ThunderbirdJunkie 11-17-2009 09:40 PM

Well, ThunderbirdJunkie's response was based on the fact that the OP posted in the MT forum.
If he's posting in the MT forum, he's probably interested in doing MT-like things, like jumping and ramming stuff and running over bunnies and all that other neat stuff.
If he's interested in that, then we're automatically comparing the $300 Redcat Earthquake to the $335 [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/7328/n/Team-Losi-Aftershock-Monster-Truck-RTR-W-26-XR2i-Radio]Losi Aftershock[/link]Losi Aftershock, and the more expensive Savage X 4.6 and Traxxas T-maxx 3.3 and Revo.

Considering that even IF he has not yet explored the sport of monster truck jumps and backflips and upside-down landings and such, he will see videos, and soon try to replicate these brutal attacks on a fine piece of machinery.

Given ThunderbirdJunkie's experience (YES, he has driven these things before, BIG SHOCK, right?) it would be worth the $80 extra you'd spend. Considering Redcat's replacement parts are also pretty damned expensive (IE front suspension arms for a Hurricane are $12, but front suspension arms for ThunderbirdJunkie's Mugen MBX5-R are $14-MBX5-R was like $550 new...as a KIT...) for what they are, not to mention when subjecting two trucks to the same torment (IE Earthquake vs Savage) the Redcat will suffer more damage, not to mention the diff gears tend to wear out faster, and the spur gear is a fairly cheap potmetal, as is the clutchbell, you're looking at the ~$100 you save initially as spending it later.

Will ThunderbirdJunkie say it's not a fine truck to take out to the parking lot? No. Just that there are others that will do a MUCH better job, and the price difference isn't as big as a lot of the Redcat fans try to make it out to be.

army2000ng 11-18-2009 07:41 AM

AMEN.

jermainezey 11-23-2009 07:36 PM

i love my red cat tornado off road buggy it hold up to things better then my mgt 3.0 when my mgt 3.0 hit sum thing it always break when the buggy hits sum thing even at full speed it just keeps going and going until it runs out of gas then i just put sum more in it and it goes again again i love this red cat buggy and it easy to tune its the red cat tornado bb buggy with the vx .18

army2000ng 11-23-2009 07:42 PM

Some people do not like redcat others do. I have no problem with mine. It depends on the user and what they run into.

jermainezey 11-23-2009 07:49 PM

yea that pretty in the basic world all rc are pretty much the same for me i buy break it end drive it really hard for a few weeks so if i do break any thing i get it replace for free after that i clean it up add sum wd 40 to the engine and it goes on display in the house and i get sum things else do it all over again and may be once a mouth i will fired up the engines for a few minutes rev it up a few times then shut it off add sum more wd 40 and back on display it goes then there a day when a dont have any thing to do so i take one out for drive have sum fun bring it in clean it check for broken parts if any order them, mean while put in the wd 40 parts come put them in and back on dis play it goes

iexion 11-23-2009 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Compare their Earthquake to a Savage or Aftershock or other name-brand monster truck, and then come back and tell ThunderbirdJunkie the same thing :)

And the Losi aftershock. You can break it, buy parts, Fix it, break it again. go buy more parts etc... all in one day
Redcat you break it, order parts, wait 4 days for shipping (4 days is a realistic time frame), then on Friday you:
A. find out you ordered the wrong parts....
B. If you ordered the correct parts, fix it break it again and order more parts.
C. Wait another day.
D. Wait another day.
E. Wait another day and get irritated
F. Wait another day then email redcat. (you see where im going with this)

If I had the cash, I would ABSOLUTELY buy another Aftershock (or Used LST2)

You have the cash to try something different and not regret spending money on it. Its ok to try online brands.
But if you want to get it done right the first time... your better off sticking with a LHS brand :eek:

jermainezey 11-23-2009 08:28 PM

thing bout been here in hunstville alabam dont matter what u have u will have to order parts for it we only have tow lhs here but they dont carry a lot of parts they most just sell rtr and kits and engines if u go in for a part they they just tell u at the door we dont really carry a lot of parts and we will have to order it so now i dont even waste time or gas to go i just order it bout time i have free time to do any thing the parts already been and came in days b4 i could even stop to put it in

ThunderbirdJunkie 11-23-2009 08:37 PM

What kind of idiots wouldn't stock parts?

That's where the money is made.

jermainezey 11-23-2009 08:43 PM

i know they suck here

jermainezey 11-23-2009 08:46 PM

i called them on the phone to see if they have even give them the part number then they say u will have to bring it in so we can see if we can make sumthing work so thats also why i get my parts online

Brett185 11-24-2009 12:43 PM

Hey Jermaine, I'm from Athens.....your the first person I've seen on here that's close to me....what kind of vehicles you run? Where do your race / bash around here?

jermainezey 11-24-2009 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Hey Jermaine, I'm from Athens.....your the first person I've seen on here that's close to me....what kind of vehicles you run? Where do your race / bash around here?
hello yea i anit never found no one one here in the same state might as well say the same city, I own a mmgt 3.0 which i have put in a .21 size engine i haven't broke it in yet a been work on a few other things on it frist , also have a tornado bb off road buggy bone stock , and i am wait for a nitro stampede roller to come in,

i haven't race yet i want to just dont know any one who have one, and far as bashin i just find parking lots and fields so i must drive at night thats when parking lots dont have cars in them, where do u go. may be we can race or bush let me know. u can also drop me a email :[email protected] i upload the pics of my mmgt 3.0

Brett185 11-24-2009 01:19 PM

Like you I haven't really raced yet. There's a nice track in Cullman, I've been there and watched, but i haven't raced at all. I run a Ofna Hyper 7 w/ and Axial 28. I also hace a Cen Genesis .46 that I'm waiting on parts for. I also have a Redcat Tsunami ultrawide which is put on the shelf. It needs an engine and transmission I've ran the crap out of it over the last year, and has more than exceeded my expectations. I'm just concentrating on my other nitros for now and will get back to the redcat eventually in the future. I'm thinking of doing an hpi mt2 conversion on it that I'll probably start on in the spring. Anyway, hell yeah man we need to get together and bash. Alot of my other friends that have r/c s don't really run anymore so it's hard to find someone to bash with.

jermainezey 11-24-2009 01:29 PM

what size engine do the red cat have in it

Brett185 11-24-2009 01:41 PM

It has the VX .18. That sucker has got more than 10 gal. through it. Heck it still runs, but I have to open the hsn up so much to keep it running that the fuel pools up on top of the needle. Plus the compression is virtually none. But I more than got my moneys worth out of it. I ran the freaking crap out of that thing...lol.... I do plan on using the redcat warranty and getting the SH .18 for like $50 or $60 but not till after new years.

jermainezey 11-24-2009 02:27 PM

thats the same engine that buggy i have have in it but it only have had about quart of fuel , might be chaper to just rebuild the engine

Brett185 11-24-2009 02:33 PM

Nah, by the time I put the time in and the $ for the parts, it really comes out better to just use the warranty. Plus the VX .18 isn't really a power house engine or anything. Yeah it's durable as all get out, and very easy to tune, but it doesn't have the torque or hp that it needs for a truggy. It's probbably great in a 1/10 buggy, but my ultrawide needs some power to turn the wheels.

jermainezey 11-24-2009 03:05 PM

do u know have the get the fly wheel off the vx is the only engine i cant get the fly wheel off of

Brett185 11-24-2009 03:17 PM

Well I actually used a ball ping hammer and a flat head screwdriver and kind of gently but still with a little force tapped around the shaft. You could cover it with a cloth or towel or something to try to keep from damaging it. Mine came off pretty easily. You could always go to Advance Auto or Auto Zone maybe even Lowes and get a pully puller. Those are nice to have for flywheels.

jermainezey 11-24-2009 03:17 PM

Click to learn more about the advantages of upgrading your membership here at RC Universe

Score: 100
Last Login: 11/21/2009
Status: online Nah, by the time I put the time in and the $ for the parts, it really comes out better to just use the warranty. Plus the VX .18 isn't really a power house engine or anything. Yeah it's durable as all get out, and very easy to tune, but it doesn't have the torque or hp that it needs for a truggy. It's probbably great in a 1/10 buggy, but my ultrawide needs some power to turn the wheels.
am going to try to get new pics up today of my mmgt 3.0 cuz i have cange some things since the photos i post