RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   no glow plug starter needed?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/937733-no-glow-plug-starter-needed.html)

JeDi_MaStEr 07-08-2003 08:32 PM

no glow plug starter needed??

Ok, I am sure I'm not the only one to think of this, just not sure how to proceed...

Allot of us have taken the reverse gear out of out TMAXX for obvious reasons...I have an OS CV pull start, and don't want to change that out for an electric start, but what I would like to know if this can be done.....

Use the reverse servo to heat the glow plug so all I have to do is yank on the pull start, by just flipping the old reverse switch on my controller, hence no more glow plug starter....

Main reason is, bodies like the H2, Escalade are too tall to cut a hole on top to use the glow plug starter and you have to take the body off, but you don't have to take the body off to get to the pull start...Any ideas on how to accomplish that??

Any and all comments appreciated..

Legendary 07-08-2003 08:57 PM

I think,

You will smoke plugs by doing that! Glow Starter Voltage is somewhere around 1.5v and servo voltage is 6.0v! I could be wrong but, I think that would be too much without cooking the plug!

joe78586 07-08-2003 09:22 PM

How about this

You can use a AA rechargable battery like I did.
All I did was weld the yellow wire to a AA box like thing and weld the glow plug wire to the box also. I just disconnect the glow plug connection when I don't need to heat the plug and connect them when I do.
You can add a switch to the wire instead and mount it where ever you need it. I just haven't gotten a switch.
I got pics if you want them.

JeDi_MaStEr 07-09-2003 02:00 PM

Joe78586..that sounds like the way to go...pics would rock!! Thanks for the input!

joe78586 07-09-2003 04:27 PM

I don't know how to post here so I will need your e-mail so I can send pics. :)

oosel 07-09-2003 08:59 PM

skydalimit 07-10-2003 03:20 AM

please e-mail em to me to at [email protected]

yrral 07-11-2003 12:49 AM

i would use Joe78586's idea...and you can use the servo as the switch....I don't know exactly how to do it but i'm sure it can be done

yrral 07-11-2003 12:51 AM

when you do get it.... e-mail me with some pics if possable

[email protected]

andy7079 07-11-2003 07:19 PM

What you need to get is a switch that you hook up to an AA battery. then you could use a spring overide and make a linkage to connect the reverse servo to the switch. Another option for power would be to use your receiver batt would be to use a resistor or a voltage regulator to keep the voltage at about 1.5 volts.

JeDi_MaStEr 07-11-2003 07:34 PM

You hit it right on the mark Andy7079..that is what I am gong to do, use the servo for the reverse/forward and hook it up via some makeshift linkage..I have a holder for an AA Bat.. I will post on this thread if it is successful...

Hopefully...WOO HOO no more glow plug warmer to carry around!!

BUGGIES_R_US 07-11-2003 08:51 PM

To post a pic.. hit the "post reply" button.

That will give you a LOT more options!!

ram

*Crash*Johnson* 07-12-2003 02:05 AM

I have a better suggestion...

Put a battery pack onboard and have the reverse channel do everything the ez start does. run the servo to a switch (mechanically throw the switch when applied) and it will do everything the ez start does, now you dont have to chase it if she stalls.

andy7079 07-14-2003 01:18 AM

Great idea, replace the switch on the EzStart with a linkage activated switch, then just find a place for a battery pack.

yrral 07-14-2003 01:30 AM

does anyone have any pics where the servo is activating a switch then running the ez start?

ntc3basher 07-14-2003 02:15 AM

y dont you just look into one of thos long glow igniters?

check it out:

here
or
here

gtxracer7 07-14-2003 03:09 AM

just wire up a 2400 cell to it with a toggle switch. Easy!

As for the whole EZ start... a place for the battery pack can be obtained if you use a longer chassis that mounts the engine in the same place. So, you will have a place behind the engine that you can mount your battery pack.

If you don't like that idea, just strap it to the rear bumper mounts like I did.

Enjoy it! :D

PS: Get a 2400 NiCD - AT LEAST!

yrral 07-23-2003 12:17 AM

heres what I did:

[IMG]C:\Larry's stuff\DO NOT ENTER\My Stuff\pics\T-Maxx\zdsvgx\My Truck[/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Larry's stuff\DO NOT ENTER\My Stuff\pics\T-Maxx\zdsvgx\My truck (top)[/IMG]

(if the pictures don't show...email me at [email protected])

in the first picture, it's blury but you can still kinda see what i did. I bought longer linkages and connected it to the servo then i mounted my ez start on the front bumper and then the wire hits the button and then it starts the ez start.

the second picture show the whole layout.

I did it this way so that I didn't have to buy much of anything. I put a rubber band around the forward/reverse shaft to keep it in the forward position. (i didn't want to buy a forward only gear box)

yrral 07-23-2003 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres the first pic

yrral 07-23-2003 12:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
second pic