Name:	Dw65731.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	191040  
Old 11-09-2004, 01:06 PM
grymg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kyosho HOR action shots

The second pic looks like you guys were really close! Did you end up crashing?
Old 11-09-2004, 04:07 PM
AtomRC

cool pics. Does everyone here run their HORS without the lower fairing?
Old 11-09-2004, 04:42 PM
grymg

All of the guys in the RCMCC club do when we race. . .

It's to safeguard handling at full lean, when it's tipped over if anything other than the crash bars and tires are touching the ground you can't upright the bike unless you drive it out. Otherwise it just stays and falls at full lean.

There is a way to run with the fairing without anything sraping though - just lengthen/bend down the crash bars and lengthen the front forks with spacers. However you can't lean as far and your corner speed suffers.

The geometry for the Kyosho static on the other hand is a bit narrower so you can run without the lower fairing without anything scraping at full lean.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Chuck Stunter

ORIGINAL: grymg

The second pic looks like you guys were really close! Did you end up crashing?

Super close, too close then carnage[X(] they are touching in the pic, check out the reflection of my tailight in jims windshield

I wish it worked out to run the lower fairing, i have my crash bars bent down and have my front end raised and still no go. Oh well, it gives the motor alot more air for cooling.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:37 PM
grymg

Yeah same here - I bent the stock crash bars down and raised the front end a lot and couldn't get the rubbing to go away so I did away with the lower cover. Heck it even scrapes the battery now when the cover's off! Design mistake from Kyosho.

With the crash bar mod, plus a securing mod for the cover so it doesn't esily fall off, I've been able to run with the lower cover though. But it took some time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55331.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	191836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94653.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	191837  
Old 11-12-2004, 08:58 AM
AtomRC

can you guys get a frontal view while mid-corner? I'd like to see the orientation of the front wheel during cornering. I want to see if, like a real motorcycle, in the corner, the front wheel is actually pointing away from the turn and not into the turn (counter steering). I"m just curious what the "swing" in the forks does and why Kyosho chose that method over just turning the bars.

That being said, with the direct steering mod, do the forks still swing side to side or do the stay put?
Old 11-12-2004, 03:29 PM
grymg

In direct steering the forks are locked so they can't swivel but the steering head can rotate. ONE THING HOWEVER is that the steering arm that rotates the steering head is springloaded so it can rotate freely as well. So esentially what happens is that the steering head countersteers to lean the bike over the other way, then you let go of the steering (bringing the steering head to neutral and also swaying to turn however it wants) and let the throttle control the turn radius for you. In mid turn on direct steering bikes the wheel is actually turned into the radius, just on initiation is where it's countersteered. But the main point is that your inputs don't have that much to do with this, the springs do most of the balance work.

For example here is a direct steering bike initiating a lean to the right:
Old 11-12-2004, 03:36 PM
grymg

Kyosho however picked a different way to steer the bike to make it easier to drive and plus it handles better at lower speeds. This "SDSS" system is not controlled by a loose spring loaded arm, but rather by a rigidly mounted fork system. The way this works is that the fork swivels into the turn, forcing the rear wheel to kick out the other way and drive it into the turn. C of G is leaned over a bit slower than the direct steering bikes (thus response is slower with Kyoshos) but it works really well. There is no countersteering of the wheel on this method I believe, all throughout the turn.

Here's a pic of a Kyosho leaned over (as best I could find):
Old 11-12-2004, 03:49 PM
AtomRC

you got me little confused with your second last post. But the pix explain everything. nice pics BTW.

Yup, the R1 is performing countersteering. the front wheel is pointed AWAY from the direction of the turn. Try getting a photo of that R1 as it's in the turn, I'm betting it's still countersteering, just less noticeable. If you ever watch real mcycle racing, the front wheel never points into the turn. As a matter of fact, the harder you countersteer, the more lean you get. However, the more you can hang off, the faster you can take the turn with less lean. (also my reason for wanting to try adding weight to the rider)

The Kyosho, I'm guessing due to swivel is pointing into the turn, and that is just wrong. that can cause lowsides and all sorts of problems in real motorcycling.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:03 PM
grymg

In these pics the front isn't pointed into the turn, rather it's inline with the bike it looks like. You're right, it doesn't make sense what I said that the wheel points into the turn.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:29 PM
leshark

Nice Pics,

Anyone help me I'm a tad stumped, I part built my HOR bike, ran it fine, now have completred it (rider and faring painted) but the rider seems to lean the wrong way, anyone got a clue cause it's stumped me?
Old 01-03-2005, 06:26 PM
grymg

No matter how you install it, the rider should never be able to go backwards (unless you go direct steering, then it might). Stockwise it's a no brainer. Check out this video and make sure the movement matches your bike. This is correct.

[link=http://www.rcpics.net/img/40440]Video of moving rider[/link]

If it's just staying in the wrong position (not centered), then simply center it using the setscrew under the rear tail.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:35 PM
swatwar2

hi guys do you have any tips for me i just got my first kyosho hor bike and i have the 28bb motor and im having nothing but trouble with it so do you have any tips for me it is my first one thanks
Old 06-30-2005, 09:56 PM
ratpower396

hey grymg what is that tubing on your crashbars?? does it hold up to the dragging well?? just asking to see if it would work on my tt.. Thanks
Old 06-30-2005, 10:33 PM
grymg

For my TT crash bars I use K&S steel wire, 3/32" in diameter. You can find it and other thicknesses at a hobby shop.

It takes about 3 months of heavy use to wear them down.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:53 AM
leshark

I worked it out and its a tad uncanny, if you take the rider off, and run the bike, it turns the oposite way (not as sharp) so it goes to show the rider is required. Thanks for all your help folks.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:50 PM
wayshwing

Hey guys!

Nice to see Kyosho HOR action finally! I had one of the original NSR500's back in 93. I recently bought a Suzuki RGV HOR (pics are here on RCUniverse in my gallery). I did a lot of work to try to simulate a Fogarty Ducati superbike, including single sided swingarm, carbon pipes under the seat cowl, among other things.

I run a 5200kv Electrifly Ammo brushless motor. It is EXACTLY the same 20mm x 30m size as the stock kyosho motor. Shaft is 2mm, so youcan use Venom 2mm brass pinions (I bought the set from ebay... 9T to 19T). I run the 17T with a Turnigy 1600mah 2S lipo very nicely with 1+ hour runtimes. ESC is basically an 18A rc heli esc, with brake programmed in. Receiver is a Flysky GT3, very tiny (29mm x 19mm x 10mm). Servo is a hextronik 12g, .08s metal gear unit.

I'm planning on some Venom medium tires with inserts, and an oil shock for the rear to stop bouncing out of turns. Front forks work well so far!!!

I also run without the lower cowl. Gets scratched all the time anyways if its not falling off. I'm considering cutting away some of the side panels to get rid of the dragging in turns. Sure it'll look skeletonized, but at last I can run with one on.

As for the crash bars (they call them crush bars - an obvious Japanese accent translation), I bend my down slightly, though I still have to stand it up to restart it.

My favorite part is gunning the throttle out of a turn, and getting the rear tire to break loose, then countersteer out of the turn! That looks SO cool! Takes practice to do it without high-siding - best to practice without the fairings on to save them from ultimate damage. I have a spare fairing and seat cowl set, for "good looks" since the other set gets bashed regularly - its the only way to have real fun!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31201.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1343104  
Old 12-27-2009, 08:22 PM
stubbyphilips

Nice job on the bike, looks cool.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Arbioo

I just got a Kyosho NSR 500 and buddy built it already but needs a speedo and a radio set... what do you guys suggest I use/get.. if you have anything you're selling i can use that will be great to..

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Arbioo

I just got a Kyosho NSR 500 and buddy built it already but needs a speedo and a radio set... what do you guys suggest I use/get.. if you have anything you're selling i can use that will be great to..

Thanks!