The Ofiicial Thunder Tiger Ducati 999 & Desmosedici

Notices
RC Motorcycles Discuss RC Motorcycles here

The Ofiicial Thunder Tiger Ducati 999 & Desmosedici

Old 03-17-2008, 10:46 PM
linkadrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Ofiicial Thunder Tiger Ducati 999 & Desmosedici

My neighbor gave me this today dont know much about it. Never messed with motorcycles plenty of cars trucks helis and Planes. It seems to work has some weird Bars on the side to prevent it from falling over i guess was wondering if it can be run without the bars on it it needs alot of work. things are loose and the front shocks Dont seem to work right. but Seems to be pretty Cool from what i can tell so far. Am i in the right thread?

I'm not real certain this is the same bike theres nothing on it except Ducati Testastrerra Sticker on the red fairing Has a duratrax radio in it and Jr racing servo for the steering. charged the battery up and ran it around the house a little seems like it will go fast. Has reverse. Wouldnt mind fixing it up and making it look better its looks like it has been beat on quite a bit. But i want to make sure i have the right motorcycle before i go buying the wrong stuff to fix it up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89800.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	906380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98029.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	906381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40450.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	906382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55768.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	906383  
Old 03-18-2008, 10:00 AM
bikeracer

You need the bars so the bike doesn't fall on its side when cornering,but those bars are ridiculous,they need to be shorter and sticking straight out.
The previous owner was probably trying to steer it like a car,it's the opposite for a bike,the front wheel needs to turn opposite to the steering input to make the bike lean into the corner.
Just stand the bike upright and see what happens when you move the steering,the bike needs to fall sideways in the same direction as the steering input.If it doesn't reverse the steering on the TX.Those bars at the moment will not let the bike lean.

You don't need reverse on a bike.

Suggest you scrap that existing steering linkage and just use one long rod through the servo arm pivot with a spring on each side and a collet to hold them in place at each end.You need to be able to hold the bike on its side and the front wheel should flop to one side without moving the servo.you can always tighten the springs for more steering as you get used to it.
The existing steering looks too much like a direct link and you'll never control the bike like that.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:35 PM
linkadrip

Hmmm very intresting. I didnt know any of that. There is no flop in the steering at all it is a direct connect there is some rubber Tubes on the sterring linkage witch is a ll the give it has and thats not much if any. Checked the sterring and reversed the Servo input it was Backwards as far as i can tell. I notice the bike doesn't stop very well and is pretty cobled up buy hey it was free and Looks like a very intresting project. Wondering How i can get it to stop better must be a programming issue. I'm sure it uses the Motor to stop.

Buy any chance is there a web site that has a Good thread with more Pictures So i can Refrence off of. I found the manual to the bike and it doesnt say much. Even the Steering setup seems to be wrong. I can see there are quite a few Nice Bikes on here already whitch should help.Will make things alot easier i'm sure. I kinda have an idea of the concept with the Flop in the steering. I know the rake has alot to do with the stability of the bike but Couldn't Get this concept in my head that without a rider with a brain helping it stay balanced. Guess it's Physics Mainly.

read parts of this thread But Not really alot of info on setting one of these up. But i can say one thing there sure are alot of nice looking RC bikes out there Hoping i can make this one look as good as some of the ones i have saw on here. This one needs a rider just doesnt look right without one.

Thank You for the info Has helped i'm going to change the radio system does seem kinda foolish to have reverse real bikes don't.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:29 AM
bikeracer

You'll find some info and links at this site...
http://www.northern-radio-moto-club.co.uk/

Old 03-19-2008, 04:59 PM
linkadrip

Very COOL web site Thank you Amazing videos. I can see that they can be run without the crash bars. Hope i can find some. i dont know how long to cut new ones for mine i'm sure i'll find some information on how long they should be. the ones i have are way to long.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:31 AM
nipimpin90

where are u guys getting these mufflers from?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:27 PM
linkadrip

If anyone is intrested i Bought a new Clear lexan body and a new rider and a steering damper For this bike changed the raido System Jr XS3 Pro radio New crash bars.. Selling it on Ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=008

Check it out..
Old 04-02-2008, 12:09 PM
whitham69

ORIGINAL: linkadrip

Very COOL web site Thank you Amazing videos. I can see that they can be run without the crash bars. Hope i can find some. i dont know how long to cut new ones for mine i'm sure i'll find some information on how long they should be. the ones i have are way to long.
Dont run the bike with out crash bars you will wreck it. use some piano wire 2mm thick. bar lenth make some 70mm long then put the bike on the ground and try to drive it up off the bars, depending on the grip you have determines the lenth of the bars of course you can always bend them up or down to increase and decrease lean angle to save cutting loads of bars. i not run a standered TT for a while but i think you wont 11cm from the ground to the center post holding the body on and then work from there to the condition of the track
Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 PM
linkadrip

Upgrades.. new rider, New crash bars changed radio system. And new Clear Lexan Body, and Steering stabilizer

Name:	Mk26405.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	920004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25527.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	920005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42928.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	920006  
Old 05-03-2008, 06:54 AM
splcrazy

Does the bike NEED the RIDER for the bike to balance properly when its going ? can someone please PM me about that or what ever , and yeh the steering rod on mine seems weak should i modify it so its a strong straight rod i dont like the lag of the steering damper and spring , and because of that i cannot seem to get this bike to steer at all , please help me before i chuck this thing into the garbage bin
Old 05-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Carisma

splcrazy

You dont need the rider, But I would rather scratch him up rather than the bike.
Can you post a pic of your bike's steering setup as is, makes it much easier to find and fix.

btw nice baja
Old 05-03-2008, 05:41 PM
splcrazy

yeah thanks about the baja , its still a work in progress and im waiting for more parts to arrive this week , then im going to be getting the ESP race ported 36mm head and test that out on my TS induction crankcse should be a killer fingers crossed lol ,,

and yeah about the steering its just crap lol its the stock steering damper set up , ive seen the hop up improved steering damper unit on 2wheelhobbies.com , i think ill end up buying that mod and a few other bits for the bike ,i also need a new strong steering servo and i need to put a DX3R reciever in it as i launched the stock radio into the air as far as i could lol just rubbish, and the battery doesnt have enough power to flick a flea off a dogs hair so im gonna upgrade that , when all thats done ill have another attempt to get this frustrating nitro ducati to go lol
Old 05-14-2008, 01:01 AM
astroboycp

How does the EP version of the TT Ducati 999 runs, does it need any hop-ups before I can run it? I am looking at getting one and hope it doesn't need any hop-up as I would like to run it stock 1st.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:37 AM
splcrazy

hmm yeah i reackon i too should have got a electric ducati before nitro , these thing are just far too frustraing to get used to steering , i think flying a plane would have been easier
Old 05-26-2008, 12:48 AM
astroboycp

Yes heard from a friend that bikes are the hardest to control.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:05 AM
Carisma

ORIGINAL: astroboycp

How does the EP version of the TT Ducati 999 runs, does it need any hop-ups before I can run it? I am looking at getting one and hope it doesn't need any hop-up as I would like to run it stock 1st.

You'll be able to run it stock, However a better set of tyres would be a huge upgrade. The casted swingarm & steering pivot will need replacing as these tend to be the first things to break, Oh and also there is a easy mode to replace the fuel tubing steering with springs.

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

hmm yeah i reackon i too should have got a electric ducati before nitro , these thing are just far too frustraing to get used to steering , i think flying a plane would have been easier
Keep with it, you'll get there. The electric bike is easier to run IMHO, but both bikes still turn using the some method.
Do you have your steering reversed?
When I was starting off with my first bike, Someone told me to "Turn the bike by using quick imput on the transmitter wheel to lean the bike, Once the bike is leaning use the throttle to control the the arc of the turn."

This helped me out, I was so close to selling the bike on ebay, Hope it helps you too.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:42 AM
Carisma

Here's a pic of one of my race bike with the "spring steering mod" I talked about in the above post. You can also see the milled swingarm, milled steering pivot.

Name:	Pn35416.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	966182  
Old 06-14-2008, 03:25 AM
pklotking

What's up fellas just wanted to put this out there I am selling my bike on ebay it's the one with the flames hardly ran it. has a new .18 insalled with only two tanks through it and the stock engine has been modded it's a .15 with about a half gallon through it. Check it out! One more thing remember when steering don't let the guard wire hit the ground that will stop the bike from turning
Old 07-09-2008, 10:30 AM
ROBBMAC

ORIGINAL: VoodooNinja

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

I assume the 999 and Desmo-thing are technically the same with just different bodies??
You are correct. You also get a rear tire hugger with the Desmo and a rider that sorta looks like Loris Capirossi. I bought mine from ThunderTiger4U like mOnO n.s.G^ suggested.

Here is an updated picture of my bike, after I did some more paint work and detailing so that it looks like the GP6 version of the MotoGP racer.

What kind of paint did you use do paint your exhaust tip black? Just noticed the painted swing are too! Nice. I'd like to paint mine if I'm confident it won't chip and look bad after a few runs.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:46 AM
kyle_yokomo

Hi Guys, I just picked-up a TT electric, and have some questions.

* Is the FM1-e the same as the Ducati Electric, they look identical except for the swingarm? I would like to buy a FM1-e body and carbon chassis and not sure this will work.

* Steering, how much left to right steering throw is enough?

*I cant seem to keep this bike upright and running, even in straight line is leans left or right, and seems to have little to no steering even though I have the steering throw as far as it will go left and right. Yes Im learing to drive, but if the bike cant even go in a straight line this will be a challenge. Is this normal? I have checked my bike over an over for something wrong, but everything is in working order.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:15 AM
bikeracer

Bikes turn by leaning.

Make sure the wheel turns in the opposite direction to the TX input.That is...left input moves the front wheel to the right and vice versa.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:32 AM
kyle_yokomo

Yes, I checked the steering inputs and they are like you say.

I just seems the steering insnt very responsive, sometimes its wants to turn but doesnt, and other times it turns really sharp with little or no input.

Sorry guys, Ive been in RC over 30yrs and never touched a motorcycle until now. I wish I wouldve looked closer at these bikes along time ago, they are real trick and I think Im about to go Motorcycle crazy.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:29 AM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kyle.. maybe a couple of things here will help you out... The stock bike's front tire is not really suited for the bike, It has a wedge shape that makes controlling the bike at slower speeds very difficult.. Also, learning to drive you will have a tendency to drive slow.. maybe you are going too slow.. Its easier to drive the bike especially when learning in a larger area free from obstacles and go faster.. the faster you go the more stable it is.. There is a fairly large learning curve with these bikes and they take time.. I never bothered with the stock motor and immediately threw in a brushless system..
The factory steering is unresponsive at best, but it is drivable until you will want to upgrade it.. You don't want alot of throw in the steering.... to turn you want the bike to lean, thats how they turn... If you have any full scale bike experience it helps, but even a regular bike (mountain bike or road bike) works the same way.. The steering upgrade just makes it more responsive.. Most of the guys here upgrade to a digital servo for the steering.. It allows it to return to center accurately.. the stock in gets close but is slower and if its not centered, the bike won't go straight without your input...
I remember when I first learned how to drive a bike.. I thought I would never get it.. eventually I did as does everyone else... having previous car experience will help with orientation... when its coming at you...
Old 12-24-2009, 11:52 AM
kyle_yokomo

Thanks for the input, I think I just need to drive it more, but I agree the stock motor doesnt seem to move the bike fast enough to get a stable ride. Is there a good brushless set-up anyone can suggest, Ive seen the Caste Sidewinder with 5700KV motor but thats all Ive seen put in these bikes, and I heard that is a extemely fast set-up.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:52 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what I run and I am very happy with the performance.. Its very fast, but easy to drive as well.. the nice thing about the Castle ESC is the Castle link.. you can program the esc to do just about anything.. Its in most of the bikes because it works very well... isn't too expensive and is very fast... Its very drivable with NiMh batteries and really screams with Lipo's....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.