RC Motorcycles Discuss RC Motorcycles here

Ricky Carmichael Bike - Hop-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:42 PM
TechyJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ricky Carmichael Bike - Hop-up

Hi All

I am typically an electric airplane modeler but decided to try a new project for the winter; plus I needed something to play with when its to cold and windy to fly. I decided on a Ricky Carmichael bike which I just received. I am thinking of a Hop-Up for the bike to either nitro or to a brushless. Before I get started, I thought I might get some practice on riding this thing as a stock machine. My question is, has any one tried using higher voltage batteries in the Ricky? I have many LIPO's lying around from my grounded airplanes but these batteries are typically 11+ volts. The motor on the bike looks huge and can probably take the 11 volts but I am concerned about the speed controller burning out. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:09 AM
TechyJoe

Default RE: Ricky Carmichael Bike - Hop-up

Ok All

Since no one replied and not being one to be afriad to try new things, I decided to go ahead and insert my 11.1 LIPO battery into the Ricky Bike and give it a whirl. However, not before performing some bench testing. So, I got out my multimeater and measured the voltage and current draw from both the 7.2 NICD battery and my 11.1 LIPO battery.

The tests were performed with the bike on it stand so the current draw is probably somewhat less then reality when the bike is on dirt or pavement is there is more resistance to get the bike moving. Here are my reults.

7.2v NICD Pack
Voltage:
4.6volts to 6.3 volts
That is, when the bike starts from a stop, the voltage is about 4.6v and as the wheel picks up momentum, the voltage increases to 6.3v at full throttle.
Current:
14amps down to 6.8amo
That is, when the bike starts from a stop, the current draw is about 14amps and drops to 6.8amps as the wheel picks up momentum.

11.1v LIPO Pack
Voltage
8.0v to 6.3v
Current
20amps down to 8amps

I did not smell anything burning or feel anything heating up so I presume that the bike has a speed controller large enough to handle the initial current. My guess is that it is probably rated around 20-25amps.

Out on The Track
Bottom line, with the new batteries, Ricky took off like a rocket. It was a blast to drive and had plenty more power then when using the 7.2 NICD packs.

Conclusion:
Before spending lots of time and money upgrading the Ricky bike with brushless motors and speed controllers, you may just want to make the move to LIPO battery packs. This seems to be a quick way to get more out of the bike.

Other Modifications:
I also removed the heavy gauge protection skid bars from the bike and replaced them with lighter gauge skid bars. I moved the angle of these bars so that there is about 1/4 inch more ground clearance and then bent these bars upwards to provide even more clearance. This gives the bike a much better turning radius. I beleive the original bars are there for kids, so experienced drivers should be able to perform the mod mentioned.

These are some simple modificatiosn that just work. However, I will probably still be upgrading my bike to Nitro because it is more realistic to me.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:48 PM
whitham69

be carfull the gyro dont melt in the wheel.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:36 PM
davcat

TechyJoe: whitham69 makes a valid point. I an running 7 cells with a 19 turn motor and it tore up the gyro on the second battery. I had to remove the small pin in the main gear and slot the shaft. Used a key instead of a pin. Holding up ok so far. I ran 7 cells through the stock speed control on another Ricky I have, no problems there. Never would have thought it would take 11.1 Lipo, you broke new ground. Dave from dammachines has to get going on a gyro update so we can all crank Ricky up with some big power!!!LOL

dave...

PS: Have a look at my Ricky video from youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIfoMP7mngo
Old 07-05-2008, 05:32 AM
corbomalbese

HI,
hey techijoe, do you have more experience about your upgraded powered ricky ?
I'm planning to do the same but fear it might cause damage.
What are the specs of your lipo battery ?
thx
Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 PM
kuppler

ORIGINAL: davcat

dave...

PS: Have a look at my Ricky video from youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIfoMP7mngo

Dave..... Thats a Sweet video.....
Old 07-21-2008, 07:07 PM
davcat

Hi kuppler.

Thanks for the comments on the Ricky video. I have another Ricky video just about finished. Been working on it for a few months now off and on. You will not believe how far my new Ricky jumps. Here is a link to the RC groups thread I did putting the new Ricky together.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798239

Should have the new video finished in the next week or so. Just have to do a little editing. I will post the youtube link when I have it finished.

dave...
Old 08-19-2008, 09:21 AM
sykdevil
My Feedback: (1)

I ran my lipo for my airplane through the ricky at a large parking lot, it was rated at 11.1v 30C 2000mah . Ricky haul butt! It made the bike fly! had plenty of power, definitely a big improvement over a 7.2v nimh batt. The stock electronics seems to be handling the power without any problems so far. I did not drive full throttle the whole time, only held it down for 3-4 sec since ricky went so fast it ran out of room to run it. So far so good. I would recommend upgrading it to a 11.1v 30c Lipo before upgrading the motor or electronics, seems like its one of the easiest upgrade to do. Just wondering how long my gyro would last

I did not time the run time, but I'm guessing it ran for around 5-10 before it started to lose its punch.
Thanks to TechyJoe for performing the initial tests, or else I wouldn't dare try a 11.1v lipo in my ricky.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:42 AM
sykdevil

Guess it would be a good update for people who have read this thread and are planning to run a 3s lipo. After around 5-6 packs of 3s lipo through the ricky with stock electronics and motor, my ricky stopped working! At first I thought I fried the stock electronics, but before dismantling ricky, I decided to do a quick test on the motor by running 6v directly to the motor. It turned out the motor was toasted! I guess 11.1v through a 7.2v motor was way too much! I didn't think of that when running my lipo. I'm not sure if the electornics are fine though, but I'm guessing it is. I don't have a voltmeter or motor with me to test the electronics at the moment. I'll update this in a couple more days.

I guess 11.1v through the stock electronics is a no no if you are running the stock motor!
Old 08-23-2008, 12:16 PM
corbomalbese

Thanks for the info because I bought a 11v lipo especially for my ricky !
Guess I'll have to also buy a new motor ....
Old 08-25-2008, 06:15 AM
sykdevil

i tested my stock electronics board today...the board seems ok! I'm amazed at the quality of the stock electronics, seems to handle 3s lipos ok, as well as motorsdown to 19t safely.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Disposable Hero

I have some mini 9.6v shotgun style batteries  from my airsoft guns, was wondering if those would work as well...they are considerably smaller then a standard 7.2v pack(which means much lighter weight) as well as being 9.6v(nore power), but Im not sure if this would adversly affect the handeling? If the stock esc can handle an 11v lipo then it should easily handle a 9,6v nimh......... 
Old 09-27-2010, 07:09 PM
TechyJoe

9.6volts should be fine and I believe is typically the max voltage for this type of stock brushed motor. I've run my 11.1v through it but I don't typically give it full throttle as to not pump all 11.1v into the motor.

But beware that the higher voltage my ware out the brushes sooner.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:15 PM
TechyJoe

Disposable Hero

Funny you picked up and posted something now to this thread, for I am just finishing up my Ricky nitro hop up which I mentioned way back when this thread started.

Maybe I'll post some pics of the build out process later.

Maybe this thread will come back to life.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Disposable Hero

yeah I got tired of waiting for the Venom 450MX to come out(if ever)....they are now saying mid December(3rd date change), which seems stupid for a release date as kids(evenBIG kids)can't play with them in two feet of snow.......hmmmmm...waita second........2ft snow+ a shovel = a 3ft(+) jump....AND the bike wont get detroyed if you land in powder......never mind December sounds GOOD to me lol!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72086.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1510630  
Old 10-13-2010, 08:02 AM
TechyJoe

All

Here is a video of my Electric to Nitro conversion Ricky bike's first startup.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwDQRaKba_4[/youtube]
Old 10-15-2010, 08:00 AM
TechyJoe

Some have asked me for pictures of the strip down and hop-up process so here they are.

Name:	Zx70939.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	1516968   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97390.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	1516969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70165.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	1516970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16236.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1516971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90885.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1516972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16671.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1516973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45567.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	1516974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68313.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1516975  

Old 10-17-2010, 11:43 AM
revster

Thats Really Cool
Old 10-26-2010, 01:35 PM
TechyJoe

Here's the Ricky Nitro on the go!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrFUPtW0ClU[/youtube]
Old 12-15-2010, 10:07 PM
urs856

Hi! That' cool.what engine did you use? Did you modified so it will fit? Tnx
Old 12-18-2010, 02:01 PM
DirtyBird69

looks good, but you really need to get the aluminum swingarm kit aas well as thechain/sprocket conversion to get the most out of it! I got those as well as the fork brace kit, however I just ordered a set of USD forks from ARX which should really smooth out the front end. Another easy improvement is toswap the rear shock with a rear one from a traxxas REVO and use 50wt oil/w red spring with blue tension rating mark......that will make a HUGE difference..

Name:	Cz79897.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1535723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj73406.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1535724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt83870.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1535725  
Old 12-21-2010, 05:59 AM
TechyJoe

DirtyBird69

Thanks for the information. Do you have a URL where I could purchase the kit? I know there was I guy who had a business called "Damn Machine" who made parts but I'm not sure he is still doing it.

I will make this my next year's project - to add in these parts.....

It's cold now and I'm onto working on my RC Snowmobiles:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9458566/tm.htm]RC Snowmobiles[/link]

Thanks again
Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Guidoracer

2WheelHobbies.com has the chain/sprocket conversion in stock, but is out of the aluminum swingarms

Here's the chain conversion: http://2wheelhobbies.com/product_inf...roducts_id=531
Old 12-22-2010, 05:51 PM
DirtyBird69

Here's the forum I get through to Dave(guy that owns Dams): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/priva...m&pmid=6852353 .....his ID is "dmincin" just PM him and tell him what your lookin for, he still has a few things laying around that he's looking to sell. I know he's been real busy at work and hasn't had a lot of time to make a lot of new parts plus hes been designing an electric gyro for the ricky as well. Only problem is everyone is going "VMX Happy" over the new bike that is suppose to come out in the next month or so...but its good in a way cuz guys are wanting to unload all their ricky hop-ups lol. You could also talk to Antonio at AR models in Itally, the arx is based on the ricky...... just really tricked out, but a lot of the basics should still fit(forks,swingarm,etc)..I have a set of forks coming in from him as we speak(cost me $100) but they will really sweetin up the front end. I might be willing to sell my forkbrace and other misc parts(I have an old parts bike) if anyone is interested...just let me know what you need..
Old 02-03-2011, 05:24 PM
wave waker

TechyJoe, nice conversion,,,btw, what brake system do u have?

ww

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.