Notices
RC Motorcycles Discuss RC Motorcycles here

Ricky Battery

Old 02-02-2009, 09:50 PM
hayabusagreg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ricky Battery

Just got a new Ricky bike and wanted to know if I replaced the stock 7.2V with a lipo will I have to replace the motor ? Also what kind of lipo battery should I get and where ? Will I have to change the battery connection`s ? If this stock motor has to be replaced what is a good bolt-in replacement? Also is it worth the swap....?
Thank`s
Old 02-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Guidoracer

Default RE: Ricky Battery

With a little bit of rotary tool work, you can fit a flat non-plastic-cased LiPo pack. The thinner the pack, the better. The LiPo packs shaped like a six-cell side-by-side pack won't fit without serious Dremel work because the battery mount is molded to the shape of a six-cell stick (shotgun) pack.

Use Deans Ultra Plug or the new Traxxas connectors to handle the current. Also, be aware that the stock all-in-one Rx/ESC unit doesn't have low-voltage cutoff (you probably figured that one out), so bring it in as soon as it starts to slow down.

Oh, and I believe that a 19-turn will work with the stock electronics, at least for a while.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:48 PM
hayabusagreg

Thank you for the advise...I think I may just keep my ricky stock...I`ve not ran it yet (sill in the box) and don`t really want to mess with a classic bike like this...! Thank`s again for the help !
Old 02-06-2009, 02:34 AM
Guidoracer

I totally understand your hesitance to mod a hard-to-find out-of-production bike like the Ricky. You can also remove the battery tray completely, leaving just the supporting posts (they are stressed members of the chassis), and strap a batt to it. It will need protection, so polycarbonate shielding would be a really good idea.

Lito
Old 02-06-2009, 07:36 PM
hayabusagreg

Yep..I thought of that....I`ve had a few Ricky bike`s and bought it because it was NIB and was going to make it a nitro Ricky but after looking around and seeing what was envolved I decided I`ll just buy a nitro bike and not start hacking-up this eletric bike..so I`m gonna get rid of it.

Thank`s again