Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:58 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DuraTrax 1/5 DX450 Brushless On/Off-Road Motorcycle

Hey thanks for the speed report!
But something sounds bogus?
Sounds like your 3s cannot keep up with the motor with the 16t pinion?

I'm really wanting one of these bikes now!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:04 PM
microDan

ORIGINAL: srt10

You must be right, the 2s is 4000 mah 40c and the 3s is 2200 mah 25c.
Does that help?
Old 12-19-2009, 10:46 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: microDan

You must be right, the 2s is 4000 mah 40c and the 3s is 2200 mah 25c.
Does that help?
Nice, that does help..
your 3s pack sounds like it should do the job?
If your seeing 34mph on 2s your 3s speed should be at or very close to 50mph
Old 12-19-2009, 10:58 PM
microDan

I thought it was a smaller than expected gain. When I did the kv math the speed increase seemed small. You're right according to the math on paper it should have gone almost 50 mph
I think I was running out of room to really get the 3s up to speed. The 3s are cheap $20 packs so that may have something to do with it too. Thanks for your input.
Oh the head shake started to come back at these new speeds. I'll need to make some adjusts...
Old 12-19-2009, 10:59 PM
srt10

I wonder if Pro-line is making some killer tires for this bike?
they look like alot of fun!
Old 12-19-2009, 11:11 PM
microDan

Tires are needed for sure. My tire is nearly bald after about 8 packs on asphalt. I expected them to last even less. Yep I know they are meant to be off road tires.
But it's just so much easier and cleaner to go blasting in a big parking lot and I'm just really curious how fast I can get this to go within reason of course. I do want the 50 mph plus range.
I have a CC 5700 w/ Mamba Max I can throw in there and a DuraTrax (back ordered) 5900kv motor coming. I just want to push the stock electronics as far as I can.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:16 PM
srt10

Tires are needed for sure. My tire is nearly bald after about 8 packs on asphalt. I expected them to last even less. Yep I know they are meant to be off road tires.
But it's just so much easier and cleaner to go blasting in a big parking lot and I'm just really curious how fast I can get this to go within reason of course. I do want the 50 mph plus range.
I have a CC 5700 w/ Mamba Max I can throw in there and a DuraTrax (back ordered) 5900kv motor coming. I just want to push the stock electronics as far as I can.
Awesome, we are all behind you!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:37 AM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed Report with stock 3800kv motor.
I ran the bike today to see what a 16T pinion would do. 13T pinion is stock.
With a 2s lipo the speed went from 28.9 stock pinion to 33.0 mph on the 16T.
With 3s lipo the bike went from 33.8 stock to 40 mph on the 16T.
I thought this would also tame the wheelies down..... NOT!!! It still takes trigger control to keep the front wheel on the ground. The 16T pinion is going to stay in there [8D]
THANKS for that report it's gonna be very heplful for the near future. A 7mph difference with a 3s pack that's alot....I sure would like to see a video of that[sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-20-2009, 01:08 AM
microDan

Hey AC the speed increase should have been about double that on 3s, closer to 15 mph on paper anyway. time will tell.
I can do a video but most of time I'm alone. It'll be awhile now that we have a bad snow storm in progress we could get about 18" of snow this weekend.[:@]
Old 12-20-2009, 12:19 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: [8D]
THANKS for that report it's gonna be very heplful for the near future. A 7mph difference with a 3s pack that's alot....I sure would like to see a video of that[sm=lol.gif]
6.2mph jump running on 3s is not very much
should be more like 15mph with a good pack
Old 12-20-2009, 04:37 PM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH ok I did not know that I guess you learn something everyday[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] But thanks again MicroDan & Srt10...keep us posted on everything that you do to it
Old 12-20-2009, 06:42 PM
srt10

OH ok I did not know that I guess you learn something everyday[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] But thanks again MicroDan & Srt10...keep us posted on everything that you do to it
I love the name.... aluminum crusher! [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 PM
zo6
My Feedback: (1)

Can't say for certain if the ESC is water proof but I've been thrashing it for two days in snow and ice. After each run it was warmed up and blown off w/air hose which puts water into everything. So far it's been unstoppable. Anyone with r/c car experience has had a turn and this thing is a blast. The less traction the more fun. I too did remove all the gyro weights and made a rear fender bar and outriggers from 3/32 and 1/8 piano wire. The plastic outriggers broke after shortening them and 30 degree weather. I went from the stock 13T pinion to a huge 19T. It went 33.0mph twice on the Stalker gun using a 30C 5200 2Cell. I seemed way slower with the 13t pinion. The pinions are 32P w/.125 bore.
Here's and quick snow and ice vid I posted on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkkQHyHQpsA
Old 12-21-2009, 12:53 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: zo6

Can't say for certain if the ESC is water proof but I've been thrashing it for two days in snow and ice. After each run it was warmed up and blown off w/air hose which puts water into everything. So far it's been unstoppable. Anyone with r/c car experience has had a turn and this thing is a blast. The less traction the more fun. I too did remove all the gyro weights and made a rear fender bar and outriggers from 3/32 and 1/8 piano wire. The plastic outriggers broke after shortening them and 30 degree weather. I went from the stock 13T pinion to a huge 19T. It went 33.0mph twice on the Stalker gun using a 30C 5200 2Cell. I seemed way slower with the 13t pinion. The pinions are 32P w/.125 bore.
Here's and quick snow and ice vid I posted on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkkQHyHQpsA
Awesome thank's for the video!
I would have never guessed that they would do so well on snow and ice...
Old 12-21-2009, 08:40 PM
airshares
My Feedback: (16)

This thing is the biggest disappointment in RC. I didn't get more than 30 seconds and already broke the crappy training bar. So I took them off because they are gay to begin with. The bike drives ok on concrete but turns like garbage, cant even go up a driveway bump with out flipping it. I ground off almost every bolt on the exterior and bent the side frames already because of those oversized standoffs. Im lucky I didn't have the rider on it as he would probably be in pieces. This should be illegal to sell and Duratrax should be getting slapped with a class action lawsuit. This thing is GARBAGE. I admit, its challenging but in no way can I see this thing paying off for the amount of time and money to make it partially work. This is a prototype and should never have been released to the public.
I didn't get one battery thru it. I've put it back in the box and its going to get dumped off at my hobby shop for consignment tonight. I'm one pissed of customer. I fly helis and airplanes and love cars. I bought an Emaxx brushless, 16th revo, and traxxas slash and just had a blast with all of them right out of the box. I've never had such a disappointment in hobbies until I bought this product. If anyone wants it let me know im selling it tonight.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:58 PM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: airshares

This thing is the biggest disappointment in RC. I didn't get more than 30 seconds and already broke the crappy training bar. So I took them off because they are gay to begin with. The bike drives ok on concrete but turns like garbage, cant even go up a driveway bump with out flipping it. I ground off almost every bolt on the exterior and bent the side frames already because of those oversized standoffs. Im lucky I didn't have the rider on it as he would probably be in pieces. This should be illegal to sell and Duratrax should be getting slapped with a class action lawsuit. This thing is GARBAGE. I admit, its challenging but in no way can I see this thing paying off for the amount of time and money to make it partially work. This is a prototype and should never have been released to the public.
I didn't get one battery thru it. I've put it back in the box and its going to get dumped off at my hobby shop for consignment tonight. I'm one pissed of customer. I fly helis and airplanes and love cars. I bought an Emaxx brushless, 16th revo, and traxxas slash and just had a blast with all of them right out of the box. I've never had such a disappointment in hobbies until I bought this product. If anyone wants it let me know im selling it tonight.

So, did you like it ?
Old 12-21-2009, 09:22 PM
monsterbrad

WOW I think he is pist
I wanted one till I saw video of it now I am not sure
The ARX bike looks much better but is over a grand so I guess the dirt bike idea will have to wait
oh well it still looks cool but not for 350 bucks
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 PM
zo6
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: monsterbrad

WOW I think he is pist
I wanted one till I saw video of it now I am not sure
The ARX bike looks much better but is over a grand so I guess the dirt bike idea will have to wait
oh well it still looks cool but not for 350 bucks
I know where you can getit for $290us shipped til 12/26, brushless w/2.4 radio seems reasonable. anyonepm me if interested
Old 12-21-2009, 10:34 PM
microDan

All I can say to this is, "some people just don't get it" .
Just so you know the helicopter I crashed must have been a real piece of junk, the fact I couldn't fly it has nothing to do with it.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:39 PM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

All I can say to this is, "some people just don't get it" .
Just so you know the helicopter I crashed must have been a real piece of junk, the fact I couldn't fly it has nothing to do with it.

lol
Old 12-21-2009, 11:26 PM
airshares

Hahahaa micro dan. Its really easy to flame on the forums isn't it......I didn't attack any of you I simply said what I thought of this product.
I'm experienced enough in RC to know when a product is a POS. I've also ridden dirt bikes all my life. Most RC products I have purchased actually do what they claim and far more. This thing is nice packaging and marketing and piss poor R&D and performance.
I crash helis all the time and I dont blame the heli. Why? Because I am able to crash them while they are actually flying. Any RC car, heli, airplane, or boat can do pretty much what ever the real thing can do and far beyond. This thing is not capable of doing 15% of what a real motorcycle can do. Parts are cheap, front forks are worthless, rear shock is too soft, rider is junk, side bars are bad material, side frames are cheap soft metal.
Sorry for being so harsh but I'm not gonna sit here and write about how neat and fun it is when its not. I'm gonna give it some more testing and another few chances but I cant imagine any effort and money put into this toy paying off in the end.
And maybe motorcycles are just not for me. I just would have expected a lot better performance from it after reading the reviews and marketing material.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 PM
microDan

I agree motor cycles are not for everyone. If you had tried to drive a Venom GPV-1 you would have really gone crazy as they can be a handful to learn on. But I found the DX450 to be a blast and a very good MOTOR CYCLE. I've been into RC for over 35 years and also have done it all. I just regret not getting into motor cycles sooner. The DX450 hit my sweet spot. I can drive my Thunder Tiger Ducati or my Nuova Faor 509. The DX450 is just a bit more versatile. And it's the only bike that can do controllable wheelies [8D]. It is also much less expensive than a good road bike.
No offense was intended, Nothing is ever perfect I'm just sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as most everyone so far has.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:46 PM
muck76

AirShares, i wonder if some off the mods MicroDan has done to his bike would help your bike react better and more like you want. Stripping the Gyro of it's loose parts seems to be a common solution to some of it's reaction.

Good luck and please share how it turns out for you.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:56 PM
airshares

Microdan,
Im gonna give it another shot. Im gonna try your mods you posted. I think the major comparison comes from all the cars I've owned lately. I expected more out of this bike. The cars are just so much fun and ballistic power. I drove the bike around and doing what I thought were pretty simple tasks and it didn't do well. I could get it to do nice turns once in awhile but if I hit any bumps or uneven surfaces it would crash. Just going up my driveway (1" bump) it would crash it. I also got a lot of steering chatter. Im sure the side bars really help make it a bit more enjoyable but mine broke in the first run so I decided to run without them. It actually runs great without them until you turn. I just dont see how it will be able to handle the dirt track with handling like this. How is the rider going to stand up to the abuse?
I wish they had those Oil filled forks for sale because the stock ones are really bad.
I love real dirt bikes and when I saw this thing I was very excited. Im hoping I can figure it out and get it to change my mind.

The factory video sold me at first but if you really watch the Duratrax video you will see a bunch of edited 3 second clips of the bike doing something cool but if you really try and run it in consecutive minutes I think it under performs.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:01 AM
microDan

As muck76 said and I have done some mods. The gyro was opened to remove all the weights, rings and screws. The suspension is much too soft. I stiffened the rear spring added more preload and used 1000wt diff oil and moved to the most forward hole. I opened the front and stretched the springs a bit and also spun the hubs around to put the axle in front of the forks. guide/crash bars are a must. I also did a little mod there. A tail saver wheelie bar was handmade and installed (a must have). A steering damper was installed to neutralize the extreme head shake. But these are things that are usually needed on all bikes. So a second thought was not needed to make the necessary improvements. But even out of the box the bike was ok, but I knew it needed some dialing in as do many if not all RC's.
I've found that most RTR's are not really ready to run, not really good or at their potential anyway. This is a hobby and it always takes tinkering fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.