Notices
RC Motorcycles Discuss RC Motorcycles here

DuraTrax 1/5 DX450 Brushless On/Off-Road Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:34 AM
buddman36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DuraTrax 1/5 DX450 Brushless On/Off-Road Motorcycle

Hey Micro Dan, did you put the Gyro weights back in the rear wheel ? I think I need them for the offroad running ? What do you think ??
Old 01-18-2010, 10:48 AM
microDan

ORIGINAL: buddman36

Hey Micro Dan, did you put the Gyro weights back in the rear wheel ? I think I need them for the offroad running ? What do you think ??
As I'm just on roading and speed testing the weights are not back in. In fact I'll be getting a lightened gyro to do some testing on in the near future.
YES the weights are the key to off roading, that's where the stock gyro really shines.
The rougher the terrain the more powerful the gyro needs to be.
Although extra weights are available for the gyro I think the fully stock weighted gyro should be able to handle anything.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:25 PM
microDan

Well I went out to try my new setup. It didn't go well. The bike ran for about 30 seconds and then the bike wouldn't stay up.
I checked it real quick and found the gyro had locked up. I figured the damage was done so I tried to drive it that way.
It's no fun at all, trying to get all that weight to stabilize is not easy. Without the gyro working properly it's the worst bike ever
So in the pics you can see the pieces that came out of the one way bearing.
I was able to knock out the old bearing out of the large plastic planetary gear but decided not to reuse the plastic gear.
You'll see the new bearing and the optional steel gear. I'm also going to change the axle shaft as the shaft got some burrs on it as the bearing disintegrated.
I figured as much that the one way bearing was going to be the weak point in the gyro. And yes running 3s will definately shorten the life span.
I highly recommend that when this happens to you that you change the axle shaft if it has even the slightest show of wear as this will eat the bearing prematurely.
Cost of this repair useing a new bearing $7.29 new axle $2.69 optional steel planetary gear $12.99 = $22.97 total.
When the bearing broke it did not damage any other parts.
So when you don't hear the whine of the gyro stop running it to avoid further damaging other parts like the small and large planetary gears.
The one way bearings are currently due in in February.
Keep these parts on hand, they are going to be routine replacements if you run your bike hard or on 3s.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 PM
MonsterMash15

ORIGINAL: microDan

As I'm just on roading and speed testing the weights are not back in. In fact I'll be getting a lightened gyro to do some testing on in the near future.
YES the weights are the key to off roading, that's where the stock gyro really shines.
Although extra weights are available for the gyro I think the fully stock weighted gyro should be able to handle anything.
Micro Dan,
You'll have to tell us how it works with the lightened gyro in it.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:46 PM
microDan

ORIGINAL: MonsterMash15

Micro Dan,
I sure will as I'm an official tester [8D]. Should hopefully have it in about a week.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 PM
urs856

hi! the rear shock is leaking. planning to replace with integgy rear shock. does it works good on dirt bike? appreciated any help pls. thank you.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:40 PM
microDan

Are you talking about the Integy piggy back shock?
I'm pretty sure I tried to see if it would fit in my bike and it was that the piggy back reservoir does not have enough clearance.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:31 PM
microDan

UPDATE. I just looked at the large plastic planetary gear and found 3 hairline cracks from the center out. This is why they make the optional steel gear. The plastic can't take the stress of the steel insert. I'm glad I installed the upgrade gear.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:20 AM
buddman36

MicroD, did the front Fork upgrade (oil filled Gold one) work better than the stock Forks ? How much better does it seem and is it worth the upgrade ?? I probably know your answer but before I go and order one (back order) would like to see if it's a must have. I still have a bit of head shake with the Dampener setup but not planning on doing over 30 or so offroading. I got my thrills on road hit 44 mph on 3s lipo so i am satisfied with that !! also what 3s lipo will fit in the battery box (I am using a Losi 2600mah 20c #LOSB9869) and only get about 7 minutes tops out of it,and it just fits. What else could I cram in there or what Lipo do you use ??? Still running all stock electronics with no problems at all.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:20 AM
microDan

Yes, the hydro fork upgrade is a must have. It is very smooth and compares with $150 fork systems for the road bikes. GET IT especially for off road.
As I said before I used 40wt silicone oil and streched the springs about 1/2 inch to take the sag out. They are a PIA to build and bleed.
Here is what I use for my 3s http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-3300mah-3s1p-111-30c.html . You just need to put your own deans on. They come with a bullet type plug
Old 01-19-2010, 09:04 PM
nano cup

Wow Micro Dan, Something to look foward to HaHa. I better start building a trick gyro with option parts may be the wholerearwheel. Going to leave one bike stock so it will run most of the time. How are youchecking speeds? As I'am building a I S C speed chalenge car. Want to join the 100 mph club, you get a cool hat. Any way how fast have you went with on road RC bikes? Thanks for being the RnD rider.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:20 PM
microDan

nanocup,
I use a Garmin Forerunner 101 GPS
it's only 3.25" x 1.75" and straps right on the rider. As far as speed on the road bikes 45+ MPH is usually easy. But I've only GPS'd the DX450 as it has taken all my attention for now
Old 01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
zo6
My Feedback: (1)

Well I went out to try my new setup. It didn't go well. The bike ran for about 30 seconds and then the bike wouldn't stay up.
I checked it real quick and found the gyro had locked up. I figured the damage was done so I tried to drive it that way.
It's no fun at all, trying to get all that weight to stabilize is not easy. Without the gyro working properly it's the worst bike ever
So in the pics you can see the pieces that came out of the one way bearing.
Dan,

If you can make a path to get a micro oiler into the oneway use some ATF periodically. We have found ATF to the bestfor rc helis mainshaft oneway bearings. It just about eliminates lockups/cage failures and wear. The lack of lube is what causes the wear and failures to the oneway and its driven shaft. Running a 3S has to be around 50% harder on that bearing/shaft with 50% mo voltage. Please post some pics ifyou can figure out a way to lube that Torringtonwithout disassembly.The weather is too nasty around here and I lost interest in my testing. I'mjust trying to gather info for the Spring.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:16 PM
MonsterMash15

ORIGINAL: MonsterMash15

Micro Dan,
I sure will as I'm an official tester [8D]. Should hopefully have it in about a week.
Micro Dan,
Well it’s good to hear that we have someone in this segment of the hobby that can do evaluations of the aftermarket parts that will be coming out for the bike.

After taking a long look the bike, it appears that there is much potential for that in this machine.

It would be great if you’d be able to give us the specifications of the parts and the type of material used in the construction, the weight savings, if any, and how the handling is affected.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2010, 01:28 PM
microDan

Monster,
Yes, I also see so much potential in this bike. Concerning the new modified gyro. It is machined billet aluminum. It will come with all 20 weights installed (all balanced)
so the weight with all the weights is the same as a stock gyro with all the weights and rings removed. The idea here is to be able to fine tune the gyro with less weight/lighter gyro.
This would add speed and handling, but would effect off road stability. So I'll report my findings how it works on road first as that is much easier for me and more the way I like to drive the bike.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Vintage Guy

dac8

You couldnt be farther fom the truth. I know its Duratrax, but this motorcycle is one of the best R/C models out in years!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Vintage Guy

Everyone looking for a there first R/C Motorcycle, GOBUYTHISBIKE.You will not be dissapointed, Micrdan is right on everything he says. I havent read but two pages of the threads, but everything that has been posotively written is right on the money.

Dont know if anyone has posted it yet, but the Thunder Tiger rear tires are a direct fit. They have an exta lip on there but it doesnt seem to effect it. You dont want the stock tire because it has that funny lip on it. The GRP tires are probably good(havent gotten my hands on one yet.), it has a rounded profile likea real street tire. At for the front tire the Axles are the same Diameter, so it would be a quick swap. The only difference is the Thunder tiger axle is shorter, and the Duratrax axle has a relief in the center right where the rim sits. Therefore you need to have an axle made at a machine shop. The axle is .236 inches in diameter and a little under 43 mm in length(mine are being made as we speak.). These two mods will give you a Supermotard bike, dont get me wrong I want a dirtbike. In the winter though, parking lots are all you have.And watching this bike (fully stock with only a 3000mah nimh battery in it)back into a corner and powersliding all the way around a turn is truly awsome!!!

They already have front and rear fender protectors, oil forks are a little steep but im sure worth it. I cant wait to get a lipo, and cant wait for the local dirt track to thaw and dry out!!

Someone mentioned leaving the wheel weights in for offroad riding, the jury is still out on that one. It may help in the bar banging that will happen when you get more than one on the track.

All and all it is a hit, and I can see it getting a great following and many hopups soon to come IHOPE!!!

Vintage Guy

Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 PM
microDan

Vintage Guy,
I share your enthusiasm, I'm glad to hear you're lovin' it. [8D]
In my quest to take care of the high speed head shake here's what I came up with now.
I accidently broke my TTN damper and decided to just remount the stock steering linkage on the other side of the frame.
As you can see in the pics the oil steering linkage replaced the stock setup and the stock linkage is now a very adjustable damper.
A longer bolt is spaced out with 2 nuts and allow the proper play. A minor tweak to the linkage keeps it from hitting the triples or the steering pivot.
A road test to follow ASAP....

Old 01-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Vintage Guy

Microdan,

So you have the oil damper steering rod on there and the stock one, did that help over just having the oil damper one?  How many of the front suspension supports did you break before you went to the aluminum one?  I havent read all the threads, did I read that that is a Thunder Tiger shock on the back?  Or is that a stock shock with a different spring?

I have a picture of a guy in Europe that instead of plastic crash bars, he has some sort of springs.  Havent figured what they are, I sent him a translated email and he never got back to me.  I have a buddy making me the front axle so you can use the Thunder tiger front wheel on the bike, giving you the slick street tire option on the front. 

Anderson Models in Taiwan is the company that actually manufactures and designed the model, they are supposed to be releasing a set of dual-sport tires for it.  Wont be available until March at the earliest.  They are a set of knobby tires that the knobbies are all smooth and level,  they look promising.

Vintage Guy
Old 01-23-2010, 12:18 AM
microDan

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92..._7/key_/tm.htm if you look at the pics of my bike you'll see my front tire mod and my roller guides.
I still had some head shake with just the oil damper at over 42mph. But it was much improved with the optional linkage, my slick front tire and maybe the hydro fork also helped. So I'll see how more dampening works out.
The rear shock has the optional green "hard" spring. It's harder than stock but I still stretched it about 1/4" longer.
I'm sure there will be plenty of after market tires eventually, but for now I'll just use the tires from the road bikes. The rear wheel will take a regular road bike tire but it would need to be glued to the rim so it doesn't balloon off as there is no way to attach it with the grooves or lips. I had both my front and rear tires come off already, the head shake was bad enough at 45mph the front tire came off every time.
PS I never broke the stock steering support. I had the alloy part so I used it
Old 01-23-2010, 02:20 AM
micheal150
My Feedback: (2)

If any body hasn't pick up a copy of current RC Car Action. I would suggest look in to it. There is a tip in there for DX450 on better bike steering mod. Page fifty seven of March 2010 magazine. It replaces the springs with fuel tubing. Stating that both peices of tubing are snug against the servo horn. Speed up steering responce and precision. I'm waiting on my to get hear. I got it cheap from a seller who lost intrest on it. On forum Ad section.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Vintage Guy

Alright Nano cup or Micro Dan

Where did you get the front axle to use the Thunder Tiger front rim.  I have one being made by a friend right now.  Did you find one and buy it or did you make your own?

Patrick

PS I have been out of the R/C game since lipos came to be commonplace, so I dont know alot about them yet.  Even with only a 3000 mah venom battery in it this is by far the Greatest R/C Model EVER!!!  The powerslides in the lowes parking lot today were awsome!!

Old 01-23-2010, 09:13 PM
microDan

Vintage,
No need to make an axle or use the TT wheel as I just slipped on a 1/5 front road tire right over the stock knobby tire and glued it to the tire. I then used black silicone adhesive to blend the 2 tires into the rim, done! All stock parts remain and the tire can still be replaced as needed and the wheel reused. K.I.S.S.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Vintage Guy

Sweet!!
Old 01-23-2010, 11:04 PM
microDan

ORIGINAL: Vintage Guy

Sweet!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.