Notices
RC Motorcycles Discuss RC Motorcycles here

Newbie question

Old 04-16-2010, 08:12 PM
swashdrive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question

Gday guys

I just got an r/c bike and are new to them, been around r/c helis & boats most my life, but find these bikes callenging to say the least !
Can someone explain the basic fundermentals of bike operation
Like do you need to get up to speed quick to stop it tipping ?
How to turn in?
How to turn out ?
Wheelies ?
Do heli gyros work or is it just a matter of getting the wheels turning to create its bike gyro effect ?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated !
Regards
Craig
Old 04-17-2010, 01:59 AM
bikeracer

Default RE: Newbie question

The physics are just the same as in a full size bike.

Turns are made by leaning the bike which means the front wheel needs to point in the opposite direction to the turn required i.e. left at the TX makes the front wheel turn right and vice versa.
The throttle controls the turn radius so for a turn you brake and slow down,let go of the throttle and bank over and then juggle the throttle and steering to determine the turn radius.
Some practice will quickly tell you how fast you need to go to stop the bike tipping over,but you should be able to drive at walking pace without problems.The slower you go the more sensitive the steering is.
All wheelies do is to bend and break parts.
You don't need a gyro for an onroad bike.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:05 PM
jb.

You are a lucky lad, there are a few bike racers in your local area! Go hereand ask when they are next meeting up. Can't beat being at a track to sort out any queries / issues you may have.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:06 AM
wayshwing

Welcome to RC motos!
I also run rc helis and cars/trucks. I've run rc motos for over 8 years. I run the 1/8 scale kyoshos.
Yes the physics are the same as a real moto or a bicycle. Speed determines turn radius, although like real rcaebikes, you can force a sharp turn at speed byletting off throttle while drastically diving into the turn just like real onroad racebikes. Lean way into the turnand let off the throttle! Such fun!
Turning out is JUST like real bikes - countersteer out of the turn while powering up the throttle! So if youre leaving a left turn, give some right turn to straighten out then throttle up! With practice you can even wheelie out of a turn like The Doctor himself!

Gyros will not work for onroad bikes, although the dirt bikes do require them.

Brushless power will give you wheelies, but they are only good for breaking and ruining your precious moto that you spent hours building and tweaking!

Enjoy!

Wayshwing

-
Gday guys

I just got an r/c bike and are new to them, been around r/c helis & boats most my life, but find these bikes callenging to say the least !
Can someone explain the basic fundermentals of bike operation
Like do you need to get up to speed quick to stop it tipping ?
How to turn in?
How to turn out ?
Wheelies ?
Do heli gyros work or is it just a matter of getting the wheels turning to create its bike gyro effect ?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated !
Regards
Craig
Old 04-24-2010, 03:58 AM
swashdrive

Gday
Thanks for the replies !
It was a great help in understanding bike Phyics
What i have is something out of the box entirely, I bought a pair of Orbit wheels and nearly busted an ankle !
So thought maybe they'd make a different kind of R/C Moto, so its a prototype.
hardest part was machining the internal gear into the rim of the orbit wheel for drive.
Took it for a test run last weekend and learn't to ride R/C moto, like you guys said not an easy task but when you get it right, fun fun fun !
If you look just behind the headset and on top of steering servo i mounted a r/c heli gyro, works out that with 45% gain and
in heading hold, works very effectively, certainly make it alot easier to opperate !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95705.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1423820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78264.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1423821  
Old 04-29-2010, 10:39 AM
jb.

WOW! I wasn't expecting that! Keep us posted about this one, looks amazing!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:22 PM
savage515

Hi guys, i have a TT GP8 nitro, what kind of tires are you guys recommendation? is the 1/8 n 1/5 tires are the same? can i use 1/8 tires on my 1/5 bike? thanks..
Old 05-05-2010, 09:39 PM
ehirobo ehirobo

Nope. 1/5 tires are much bigger. Try the PMT 200's as they are very sticky and offer a lot more grip compare to the stock tires. PMT 100's are good too, slightly harder than 200 and works good for hot days. BTW: Don't forget to order the tire inserts as PMT don't come with any. Nuova Faor makes inserts and TT have it listed on their web site but I don't think it is ava yet. The GRP's are good too but they don't make it anymore.....
Old 05-05-2010, 09:53 PM
savage515

ORIGINAL: ehirobo ehirobo

Nope. 1/5 tires are much bigger. Try the PMT 200's as they are very sticky and offer a lot more grip compare to the stock tires. PMT 100's are good too, slightly harder than 200 and works good for hot days. BTW: Don't forget to order the tire inserts as PMT don't come with any. Nuova Faor makes inserts and TT have it listed on their web site but I don't think it is ava yet. The GRP's are good too but they don't make it anymore.....
oic, thanks bro.. have a nice day.