Notices
RC Motorcycles Discuss RC Motorcycles here

My Kyosho HOR build

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:12 PM
r/c_freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Kyosho HOR build

Hey everyone, so I just picked up a kyosho HOR off craigslist, came with everything and more, just needed to be put together. Idont know how he manged to fit the receiver and esc in that thing. they were kinda big. Not sure which one it was, as it came with both body styles. just no stand......so sad. One thing about r/c's i cant stand, factory type bodies. I mean why should i advertise for so and so company when they didnt give me any discounts or anything. if team associated or losi wants to throw me a few tires or parts, then i would throw there name all over my stuff. So Idecided to follow the bike scheme from biker boyz. Iwas amazed at how they made a yellow bike look so good. I attached a few pics so you can see. I even went with chrome framing, although I need to get a chrome front fork. It came with a blue alumium front fork, im gonna but it on till i get my chrome one, even though it doesnt match my scheme one bit. As far as electronics, Ihave the 6800kv mamba and esc combo and I am using the smallest reciever for a spectrum, sorry i forget the number off hand. BUTi have not ran it once yet, so im looking for any advise on it. Im gonna do the side crash bar mod next. I am looking for the front brakes so if anyone knows where i can get them, let me know. Patbrakes doesnt seem to be up any more.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74500.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1497491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86157.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	1497492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69898.jpg
Views:	1219
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	1497493  
Old 09-15-2010, 05:37 PM
r/c_freak

Default RE: My Kyosho HOR build

so had a little fun with my hor on the weekend, after about 20 min of taking it easy to get the hang of it(after like 5 turns i took off the scape gaurds as they were the cause of my crashing almost every turn, didnt fall as much without them) i started to give it a little juice. that didnt last long as with in the minute of me gunning it, my gears lost all there teeth. Si i had to order new ones, got those metal ones, along with the gear box from ebay. then i started doing a bit of research on the bike and found there are a few other things to upgrade. went to 2wheelhobbies.com and picked up a few items. got those today in the mail and started to build my new and improved bike. so far heres is what i have got

all my parts from 2wheelhobbies. Even though i have a chrome frame, some of the screw insert locations are cracked, plus i thought it would be easier to make a fresh frame stiffer than to take about the old one. Also thought the single rear swing arm is just cool. Ill let you know how it performs to me once i get everything back up and running.

notice the metal one doesnt have that grove, i had to slice of part of the frame to get this piece to fit nicely. see below.

notice in the middle of the pic the little notch sticking out, on top of my new piece. those needed to go.

heres a pic of everything on thus far

and here is the other side (armless)

put the foam backer in my rear tire, got the 6800kv sidewinder setup with spectrum rx.

I noticed they have a aluminum steering set to, i want to get that before putting anything else together. Not to mention i still need to go get the stuff for my frame strength, as well as some silcone to make a front tire insert. I havent been able to locate a chrome radiator gaurd, not sure if they even make one, nor have i been able to find an aluminum one. If anyone knows where i can find one, please let me know.

Also PAT, if your out there bro please pm me as i would like to purchase a set of you functioning brakes for this bike to give it that final piece of authenticity. thanks!!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Kevinmham

Hi, R/C freak.  I bought a hor bike about a year ago. They rule !!. Mine was new in box so I had to build it.  I also bought a few parts from 2wheelhobbies and was impressed with the service and the parts. I got rims, rear swing arm, forks,metal gears and gear box, rear oil shock, and front stearing bearing mount.  I also added full bearings.  I am using the 280 bb motor and stock futaba esc/ receiver. It is not super fast, but looks really cool, with the little dude moving around. Even women walking up the street, where I use it, say " wow, that is soo cute!! " I have a 4600 kv motor that I might try and use. I'll wait untill I see how your's goes.  So far, mine seems very strong.   The only parts that seem vulnerable are the foot pegs/ balls, and the handgrips/ balls, but you can get replacements easily from China. Nice paint job by the way. Your bike looks great. What rims are those they also look great.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:40 PM
r/c_freak

alrightly, so Ifinally got my metal gearbox and gears from hong kong. Had a load of fun after putting everything back together.

I still dont like using the crash bars, however my rider seems to be taking most of the damage. leaving the bike itself almost untouched.

So with the new metal gear and with a 9 tooth pinion gear, my 6800kv motor setup, and 1800 mah 2s lipo, its super fast. On the streets if I gun it, the back tire spins so fast it looses traction and starts a high speed wobble which is kinda hard to get out of. My goal is to get it to wheelie, and Im kinda suprised that it doesnt as youtube shows a few hor doing it with a similair setup. I have the high grip tires on it already, but they just dont seem to be doing the job.

Kevinmham, thanks for your complimants. Im gonna be painting another body set like the red bike from biker boyz, unless i get my airbrush set first, then I was try and do Dogs bike, greatest paint job on a bike I have seen by far, very unique and i like that. The rims came with the single swing arm conversion kit Igot from 2wheelhobbies.com

Also I will post a video up soon, i just wanna get some good footage
Old 10-16-2010, 06:55 PM
grimgard

Looks good I have the same set up on HOR (ESC Motor) and I can pull wheelies but it depends on the surface. I broke my rear muffler/tail pipe plastic piece already from doing a few wheelies! lol. Why no lower batter cover? (lower part of the bike) An 2s lipo 800mah will fit perfectly and still gives me plenty of run time.

Do you have the venom tires on it?

Name:	Pm35125.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	1517876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29607.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	1517877  
Old 10-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Kevinmham

Hey, HOR fans!  I'm still using the futaba esc/ receiver in my bike. Would like to upgrade. I have a 3600 kv and a 4800 kv motor from a GWS f-15 ducted fan . I also have a 18amp and a 25 amp brushless esc . Would any of these bits be suitable? It looks like the motor will physically fit in the bike, but it is designed for a jet. Will this matter ? Do you think either of the escs will work ? If I have to buy the proper bits, I will, but if these will work, all the better ! I also am thinking of using 2.4 ghz on the bike, so you won't see an antenna. Any thoughts ?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:27 PM
grimgard

lol no idea but the best way to find out is to try! I am using a 2.4ghz on mine and it works great.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:30 PM
r/c_freak

I do not know, i would say if the rpm's are similiar to that of a motor for a car, then try it, just make sure the mounting holes match up.  I would use the 25 amp esc, but really you want something around 30/35 if you wanna run lipos.  I run a 2.4ghz on my bike, with the little antenna wire hidden in the upper fairing  piece, looks great with out the 12 inch antenna sticking out the back. 

if your gonna try it, set the throttle setting low and slowly move up to 100%
Old 10-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Kevinmham

Thanks guys. It looks like the mounting holes line up so...... I'm gonna go for it !  I don't have any 2s lipo's, but i do have  a couple of 910mah 3s lipo's. What do you think-overkill ?  or should I get some 2s lipos with a larger capacity.  910 seems pretty small. My current HiMh is 1500 mah. Also, is your chrome chassis plastic or aluminum?  Either way, it looks cool!
Old 10-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Kevinmham

I forgot to add a pic of my bike in my last posting , so here it is, hopefully.

Name:	Qo39613.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1518064  
Old 10-17-2010, 02:49 PM
grimgard

ORIGINAL: Kevinmham

I forgot to add a pic of my bike in my last posting , so here it is, hopefully.
Looks good man! These are fun bikes! I wish my local track was wide enough to run it on it. The turns are to dam tight and the track is to dam narrow. So I am left to solo runs in a parking lot.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:54 PM
r/c_freak

u might be pushing it with your esc with a 11.1 volt battery, just make sure it can handle that without getting too hot and shutting down.  plastic chrome frame with aluminum gearbox

Old 10-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Kevinmham

My esc is good for 4s LiPo's, and so is the motor, so 11.1 shouldn't burn up anything. I just think 11.1 will make it too fast. I do have a bunch of aluminum parts on my bike, but there is still a lot of plastic to break ! 7.2 volts on my 3600 kv motor = 25000 rpm. That is about what the 280 bb is putting out ,I believe. Other calculations of 7.2 volts or 11.1 volts on the 3600 kv motor and the 4600 kv motor show 33000rpm 40000rpm, or 51000rpm. I think I will start with the 4600 kv motor on 7.2 volts. that works out to be about 33000rpm. It should make the bike faster, we'll see ! Stay tuned, if I get it all together, I'll try it this week weather permitting of course. My bike seems absolutly useless on wet pavement.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:51 PM
r/c_freak

does your esc from the plane have brakes???  as i have heard some do not, if it doesnt, it might be a problem.  good luck though, cant wait to hear what happens
Old 10-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Kevinmham

Just finished mounting the motor and esc.  I went with the 3600kv motor and 11.1 volt lipo.  It seems to rev a lot faster.  OH YEAH ! One issue came up.  The esc was designed for planes, so the throtle stick has to be full down , or the esc won't arm itself.  This is different than what i'm use to on my bike, but at least I can test it tommoro at work.  This also leaves very little stick travel for the brakes. At least it has brakes. I might have to get a new esc.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Kevinmham

Oh Yeah!  A lot faster!  transmitter stick issue not a problem, brakes worked fine.  It didn't turn as sharp as before, turns out the lipo is a lot lighter than the NiMhs. Didn't think of that.  I added a bit of weight to the battery tray, and that was better. I still need to add a bit more weight, though. 
Old 10-18-2010, 10:42 PM
grimgard

ORIGINAL: Kevinmham

Oh Yeah! A lot faster! transmitter stick issue not a problem, brakes worked fine. It didn't turn as sharp as before, turns out the lipo is a lot lighter than the NiMhs. Didn't think of that. I added a bit of weight to the battery tray, and that was better. I still need to add a bit more weight, though.
Did you use a 2s lipo 800mah? they fit perfect (my picture above) and the bike looks so much better with the battery cover on it and keeps it looking scale.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Kevinmham

Originally, I was using a 6 cell NiMh 1500mha pack. Now ,with the brushless motor, I'm using a 11.1 volt 3s 910 mah  Lipo. It weighs about half as much as the Nimh. My battery cover still fits, but I use a bit of clear tape as well to help hold it on. I did have to cut a hole in it, to clear the back of the motor ,but you don't really notice it when the bike is moving.  I'm going to try to find a larger lipo with more mah . So far, I like the 11.1 !
Old 10-30-2010, 01:05 PM
r/c_freak

yeah same here, since i started with lipo i never got to experience the turning with nimh.  I found a perfect 1800 mah 2s ge power, lol, generic power but its been working good. 

but i thought if i added weights to it, i could get it to turn better, first i tried the rider itself, no good, i found the best location for wieght is in the lower fairing itself.  I dont really have an issue with it coming off like i hear other talking about, maybe because i run alone most the time as no one else seems to have a bike, or least they dont run it at the track i go to.  The onroad track is kinda slow on the days i go so sometimes i get 30 min with no cars.   So I dont crash to often anymore. 

Old 10-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Kevinmham

After using the bike a bit more, I think I would prefer it to be not as fast !  I think I enjoyed it more at a slower speed.  It seemed easier to control, and is less prone to being damaged in a crash.  I'm gonna try the 7.2 volt batt on the brushless motor and see what I think.

When the bike falls over when it stops, you are supposed to be able to get it up again by going in circels.  Can anybody do this easily ?  I think I have only been able to do this once !!
Old 10-30-2010, 04:15 PM
r/c_freak

really not so fast...idk i like speed, although i will agree with you as far as damage is concerned.  High speed crashes can be harsh to say the least.  And as far as my experience goes, if you adjust the crash bars a little, it will come up and ride again, not easily, BUT this also greatly effects your cornering ability as you will not be able to reach full lean. 
Old 11-03-2010, 06:40 PM
r/c_freak

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQXzGsTC8pU[/youtube]
Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 PM
rc2008
My Feedback: (25)

after seeing all of this i think i want to get a bike.  are these hard to drive??
Old 11-10-2010, 01:08 AM
Kevinmham

Hey rc 2008

I would say deffinetly get a bike. They are tons of fun !! They are a bit tricky to drive at first, but you'll learn quickly. There is a decent amount of upgrade parts available. The only one that is a must, in my opinion, are the metal gears for the transmission. The stock ones seem to be made from cheese, and last only minutes !

What do you other HOR bike riders think ?

Even with the stock motor in mine, it was slow compared to an rc car, but still lots of fun. At slower speeds, you get a better view of the little man leaning and moving his head ! That is the coolest part for me.

Oh yeah, watch out for little dogs. They seem to want to attack my bike. I've had a few close calls !!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Kevinmham

r/c freak
  Nice video !!  That looks like a great track ! 

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.