RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Motorcycles (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-motorcycles-232/)
-   -   Kyosho NSR 500 Honda Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-motorcycles-232/9669184-kyosho-nsr-500-honda-build.html)

grimgard 04-17-2010 11:52 PM

Kyosho NSR 500 Honda Build

I just ordered a Kyosho NSR 500 and was wondering what would be a good electronic set up? I am almost positive I have a micro servo laying around but wil need to get a ESC and brushless motor. I want to use a brushless set up for extra speed but not to much that it is uncontrolable. I also plan on using 2s LIPO batteries. I also have a 2.4ghz RX that I will be using.

Any advice?

ESC?
Lipo size?
Upgrades?

grimgard 04-18-2010 09:00 PM

RE: Kyosho NSR 500 Honda Build

What do you guys think of this? and will the motor fit? Also whats the largest mAp LIPO I can fit in the battery tray? Anyone who has one of these has to know and can help out a newbie? This will be my first RC motorcycle.

ESC & motor combo: Sidewinder 1/18 Micro/CMS6800Kv BL ESC/Motor Combo by Castle Creations
Link:http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=CSESDM2068
Specs:
Cells: 4-12 NiCad/NiMH, 2-3s LiPo
Continuous: More than you can handle!
Resistance: 0.045 ohms
Brake: Proportional
Reversible: Yes - with lockout
Low Voltage Cutoff: Programmable
Size: ESC: 0.95in x 1.72in x 0.4in
Motor: 0.79in dia. x 1.3in
Weight w/wires: ESC: 0.9 oz (24.5 g)
Motor: 1.7 oz (48g)
Connector Type: Universal

Thanks.

ehirobo ehirobo 04-18-2010 11:10 PM

That seems to be a nice setup. I am using 5700kv now and it works very good. I know people using upto 9000kv motor [X(] but it is totally overpowered. And you may want to change the pinion too as the stock plastic one don't last very long. Try RC18's aluminum pinion, 11 or 12T. For battery I think the biggest one you can fit the kyosho is 1800mah 2S battery.

grimgard 04-18-2010 11:47 PM

ORIGINAL: ehirobo ehirobo

That seems to be a nice setup. I am using 5700kv now and it works very good. I know people using upto 9000kv motor [X(] but it is totally overpowered. And you may want to change the pinion too as the stock plastic one don't last very long. Try RC18's aluminum pinion, 11 or 12T. For battery I think the biggest one you can fit the kyosho is 1800mah 2S battery.
Thanks for the reply. Would you know if the motor will fit or will I have to modify the mounts in some way. I have a 1550 mAh 2s and a couple of 1800mAh 2s so I should be good on the batteries. I plan on getting some bearings for the kit as well, would you know a good place to buy them? So far all I have found are E-bay. Once again thanks for the help.

...edit... Whats a RC18? I google it and can't seem to find that pinion your taking about. Would this be the one? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJHT6&P=7

What do you think about this servo?

Hitec HS-85MG Metal Gear Micro BB HS/HT Servo U
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0&I=LXN685&P=K

ehirobo ehirobo 04-19-2010 11:54 PM

yap, that's the pinion. works very well and I think it will last longer than the bike. LOL. I am using a Fusion Hb-d-06 servo. I like a little faster servo as it makes the bike a lot faster to move from side to side. :)

grimgard 04-20-2010 12:58 PM

ORIGINAL: ehirobo ehirobo

yap, that's the pinion. works very well and I think it will last longer than the bike. LOL. I am using a Fusion Hb-d-06 servo. I like a little faster servo as it makes the bike a lot faster to move from side to side. :)
Thanks again! I also just ordered some bearings I hopes these will work. HPI Mugen OFNA 10 Bearings 5x10. I got them for $21.95 with shipping included. Now if everything would just get here I could sleep at nights! Super excited to start my build!

I plan on painting it Black with red and white accents. I know its not standard Honda colors.

ehirobo ehirobo 04-20-2010 09:27 PM

Cool. Love to see more people start playing with bikes as they are sooooo nice. :)

wayshwing 04-22-2010 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check out my Kyosho HOR moto here on RCUniverse.

I run a 5200kv Electrifly BL motor, a 20A Hextronix ESC, a 1600Mah 15C 2S lipo, and a hextronix MG micro servo. I also run Venom tires which are softer and grip better. You can get the ESC and battery from hobbycity.com. The 1600 lipo fits perfectly into the batt compartment.
With a 13T pinion, just enough torque to get off the line with a bit of wheelie. Also run an oil shock on rear.

grimgard 04-23-2010 12:06 AM

ORIGINAL: wayshwing

Check out my Kyosho HOR moto here on RCUniverse.

I run a 5200kv Electrifly BL motor, a 20A Hextronix ESC, a 1600Mah 15C 2S lipo, and a hextronix MG micro servo. I also run Venom tires which are softer and grip better. You can get the ESC and battery from hobbycity.com. The 1600 lipo fits perfectly into the batt compartment.
With a 13T pinion, just enough torque to get off the line with a bit of wheelie. Also run an oil shock on rear.

Nice bike!!! I ended up buying ....

ESC: Sidewinder from Castle Creations
Motor: Castle 5400KV
Pinion: 12T
Servo: Hi-Tek Micro HT MG
Battery: Max Amps 2s lipo 1550mah
I'll take your advice and buy the venom tires and better shock. Thanks!

I should get my kit tomorrow just in time for the weekend! Woo Hoo

grimgard 04-23-2010 11:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what I have so far. I am still waiting for my ESC and motor in the mail... :(

grimgard 04-25-2010 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures...I am a bit bummed I bought a Sidewinder ESC 1/18 5400KV motor combo and when I hook up the motor it vibrates/shakes/stutters so badly that there has to be something wrong with the ESC. I took it to the LHS and tried another motor and the same problem.
RC4WD 2.4 GHZ Big Off Roader TX/RX and a Tamiya Mini Servo (The micro was to small)

grimgard 04-25-2010 10:29 AM

Just tested the Motor with a different ESC and it works just fine, To eliminate the RX I also hooked the ESC up to a different RX and the problem was the same as before. So it seems the ESC is bad.

grimgard 04-26-2010 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: grimgard

Just tested the Motor with a different ESC and it works just fine, To eliminate the RX I also hooked the ESC up to a different RX and the problem was the same as before. So it seems the ESC is bad.
Castle creations is sending me out a new ESC today! great customer service.

grimgard 04-26-2010 02:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well got the motor in and man what a tight fit! I had to buy some smaller LIPO's because I have no where to put the ESC! I will add it to the battery tray once I get my replacement from Castle Creations.

Here is a picture of it with the riders hands on correctly! if you look at my first pictures his hands were on backwards lol.

grimgard 04-27-2010 05:09 PM

FRACK! Castle creations just told me that my replacement ESC (the new one I bought arrived DOA) is on back order and will take at least two weeks! ***! I only need a dam ESC to get my bike running and now they pull this crap! GAH! I am a bit pissed!

grimgard 05-01-2010 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well Castle must of found one (ESC) or called there sweat shop and cranked one out because It showed up Saturday! ESC instaled and everything works! I thought it would be faster with the 5400KV motor but it's fast enough an the bike likes to turn when going slow. There are a couple of issues with this bike but nothing that would make me regret buying it and investing in the electronics.

Issue 1: Cheap brittle plastic chassis/frame. If you over tighten any screws the slightest amount the plastic will break and crumble. Maybe my kit was sitting on the shelf for the last 10 years? I doubt it since I bought it directly from Kyosho and they recently re-released this bike so I would assume it's a new kit.

Issue 2: the chain keeps comming loose and if you were to tighten the chain anymore you would break the cheap plastic... :( other than that it is a fun bike. I am uplaoding a video to vimeo and will post when done.

grimgard 05-01-2010 06:32 PM

Here is the video:

[link]http://www.vimeo.com/11386505[/link]

Casper06 05-10-2010 11:43 PM

Hey Grim sorry for all the questions but do you know if the measurements on this servo will fit? You mentioned the micro didn't fit and you went with a mini just wondering if this is right:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXH307&P=SM

Also how many of the 5x10 bearings do you need for the kit?

grimgard 05-11-2010 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Casper06

Hey Grim sorry for all the questions but do you know if the measurements on this servo will fit? You mentioned the micro didn't fit and you went with a mini just wondering if this is right:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXH307&P=SM

Also how many of the 5x10 bearings do you need for the kit?
It's ok It's better to ask to many questions than not enough. The bearings come in a 10 pack I think I used 6 of them [link]http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/RCB/Kit298[/link] . I eneded up buying my servo from the LHS and it was a Futaba mini so that one should be fine. Mine coast about $38.00 so your probably getting a higher torque than I got.

Casper06 05-11-2010 03:07 PM

Hey Grim since you have both would the GPV alloy shock fit the HOR?

grimgard 05-11-2010 03:38 PM

No idea since the GPV-1 is a RTR and the NSR 500 is a kit. I wouldnt see a need to replace the stock one since it is doing just fine as it is.

ehirobo ehirobo 05-11-2010 10:18 PM

Sorry had not try it yet. But have try different shocks the best one so far is the tamiya TRF touring shocks. Very smooth and work great with 1000wt oil, stock piston and yellow tamiya spring. Most shocks for 1/10 touring are too big and will not fit the plastic mount. The only issue of the tamiya shock is it come with pack of 4. So you will have 3 extra shocks....

Casper06 05-11-2010 11:52 PM

That's good to know too bad I already placed an order for shocks. [:'(] I thought that touring car shock would be too big but I do love Tamiya TRF shocks! I have a extra set laying around I may try that in the future.

grimgard 05-12-2010 01:49 PM

Oh man I am in trouble now! I just got bit by the upgrade bug! :) Man these upgrades cost more than the kit! lol I will post pics and what not when everything gets here.

Products

1 x HOT Racing front damper assembly (titanium) (HOTHOR5511) = $35.00
1 x Hot Racing Galaxy 3W Wheel set (black) (HOTHOR51301) = $28.99
1 x Hot Racing Twin Star front brake disk (titanium) (HOTHOR39F11) = $17.99
1 x Hot Racing Main Gear and drive sprocket (silver) (HOTHOR150A08) = $12.99
1 x Hot Racing Rear brake disk & Main Sprocket (titanium) (HOTHOR39R11) = $15.99

CHA CHING!

Casper06 05-12-2010 05:23 PM

You don't want to see my HopUp list man.... I can't wait for my wife to see the bills for the month. :D