Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Which 18TZ for MT2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM
RCJuice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 18TZ for MT2?

I know this has been covered, but after all my searches and reading online I have found more questions than answers. I am buying an 18TZ for my MT2 and need to figure out which one to get.
I know I can't use the short shaft, but can I use wither the pilot or SG style shaft one? I've looked at the pictures of factoryengines on Ebay and it looks like they come in bothpilot and SG shaft conficurations. I want a bump start and rotary carb, but it looks like it's not an option? Can I convert the pull start model to a bump start with just a backplate swap?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which 18TZ for MT2?

OS is retarded, they offer two models... pull start rotary carb (std shaft), and non pull start slide carb (SG shaft). These are the only two models for some [extremely retarded] reason. You could swap the back plate, but you would have to grind the nub off the crank, and it would be standard shaft. These engines are also turbo plug. You could order the non pull start crank (SG), and not have to grind the pin. The motor itself is $200, then another $50 for the crank, and like $10 for the back plate. You could buy a better motor for that much, or convert to big block.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:15 PM
RCJuice

ORIGINAL: proanti1

OS is retarded, they offer two models... pull start rotary carb (std shaft), and non pull start slide carb (SG shaft). These are the only two models for some [extremely retarded] reason. You could swap the back plate, but you would have to grind the nub off the crank, and it would be standard shaft. These engines are also turbo plug. You could order the non pull start crank (SG), and not have to grind the pin. The motor itself is $200, then another $50 for the crank, and like $10 for the back plate. You could buy a better motor for that much, or convert to big block.
Darn, that's what I figured. I guess I can always convert my MT2 to a slide carb setup. I don't want to go big block, any other suggestions for an .18 with power like a TZ? And if I go with the TZ,I definitely want the bumpstart so I'd just go with the slide carb model, can I use the SG sg=haft that comes with that model on the MT2? It looks like I'd have the room.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Nitrojunkie666

CVR .18 is all the power you will need anything more is overkill
Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 PM
RCJuice

ORIGINAL: Nitrojunkie666

I agree the CVR has some good power, but this MT2 is set up for 100% on road, high speed driving so I really want to stick with the TZ. Plus I can get it with a bumpstart backplate already.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:44 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

You need the long (std) shaft version. It will bolt directly in. ThunderbirdJunkie recommends replacing the stock pipe with the Associated torque-tuned pipe, or the Associated Smoothie.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:28 AM
RCJuice

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

You need the long (std) shaft version. It will bolt directly in. ThunderbirdJunkie recommends replacing the stock pipe with the Associated torque-tuned pipe, or the Associated Smoothie.

By long are you regerrring to the SG shaft? I don't even see that one listed as an option on the TZ though, that's why I'm so confused...
Old 01-21-2011, 01:31 PM
proanti1

Yeah... the 18tz doesn't come with a long std shaft. You can use the SG shaft, just get these two things.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNTY4&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMD8&P=7
Old 01-21-2011, 11:10 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Hmm..a couple years ago the 18TZ was available with a std shaft. Oh well.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:26 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

What about the THS pipe? I've read that that is the best combo for the RS4 3 with a 18CVR.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:27 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Johnbalz

I agree the CVR has some good power, but this MT2 is set up for 100% on road, high speed driving so I really want to stick with the TZ. Plus I can get it with a bumpstart backplate already.

Oh, trust me, you won't want for more power with the CVR. You can also get a CVR with standard crank, rotary carb and no pull start if you wish.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:05 PM
RCJuice

ORIGINAL: 378

ORIGINAL: Johnbalz

Oh, trust me, you won't want for more power with the CVR. You can also get a CVR with standard crank, rotary carb and no pull start if you wish.
Funny you should mention it, I just bought exactly that (brand new) off of Ebay for $80.00 shipped. For the price I figured I couldn't go wrong and I hear so many good things about the CVR I figured I'd give it a shot. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:47 PM
proanti1

Make sure to break it in long and easy, its VERY easy to ruin a CVR.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:44 PM
RCJuice

Good to know. Is there anything in particular I should do or look out for? I've broken in lots of engines over the years and never had any issues so far...
Do you do the typical OS heat cycle method of idlig it for a few tanks and then driving it?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:19 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

No it's not. Back in the old gas truck racing days, guys would pull them out of the box, start it, go straight to race tune and have them last 5-6 gallons.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:25 PM
proanti1

Yeah, I'll call BS on that. For starters, a square head CV is about the furthest from a race engine as you can get... so a "race tune" would require you to run it dangerously lean. One of my first cars had a CV, I did not head the instructions and drove it around after idling half a tank, lasted about half a gallon before it had zero compression. Not mentioning the fact that the new CV is designed completely different than the old ones.

Edit: A heat cycle is not required, but a good solid 6 tank idle is. Do not let it run out of fuel, when it gets low, press on the air filter to kill the engine (only stop the engine this way when the filter is clean), you can also use your shoe or something soft to stop the flywheel. Do not pinch the fuel line, this leans it out. Heat cycling is letting the engine cool with the piston at BDC between tanks, again its not required, but makes for a better break in.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:32 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

A square redhead 12CV is NOT the same thing as a .12CV-R and if you want to pick nits, a .12CV-R isn't even close to a "race" engine either, compared to what's out there now.

The point is simple...you don't know things[&:]
Old 01-26-2011, 05:32 PM
proanti1

Eh, doesn't really matter what kind of OS engine it is, whoever says it runs 6 gallons without a break in is a liar.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Cool. ThunderbirdJunkie will make sure he tells his XXX-NT with a 12TR that when it burns up its next gallon.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:51 AM
flatout->

try one of these

http://www.nosram.com/en/products/ni...ngine/details/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20044.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1565517  
Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 PM
schuttman

Location: m\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'boro, TN
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the tz model you will not find a better model than the tz, the cvr is a good engine (and i know I will take flack for this) the cvr is no where the engine
the tz or the tg is!!!!!!
The tz is nasty fast I mean naasstttyy fast quick response great top end...
The tg is a little slugish on the bottom but on the top end it is tons of HP....
I have had all of them the tg and tz are the best, do the change, the slide carb tops the roto. hands down, it is worth the money if that is what you want to do.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:40 PM
The Hedgehog

Eh, doesn't really matter what kind of OS engine it is, whoever says it runs 6 gallons without a break in is a liar.
You honestly suggest 6 tanks of idling? And who doesn't know what they are talking about? WOW
Old 02-19-2011, 12:24 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Don't worry, AutoX, it's not our job to make sure people are living on Earth[&:]
Old 02-19-2011, 08:35 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I broke in my 18 CV-RX by starting it, then gently driving around for 90% of a tank to ensure it got up to temps. I then shut it off by plugging the exhaust, refilled the tank, let it cool, then repeat four more times. That engine today still runs great and I've got about two gallons through it.