Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

My engines leaking?

Old 08-23-2013, 02:14 PM
PearlDrumsRule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My engines leaking?

Hey. I have a Rustler with a Pro.15. I have taken care of one leak, somehow it was leaking exhaust out of the cylinder head but it was still running somehow... Now its leaking out of where the one way bearing is. It seeps out of the seam where the pull start meets the side of the engine, what can I do to stop it?
The stuff that it leaks is like the consistency of oil and it spreads everywhere attracting the dirt and it takes a long time to clean.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:25 AM
Sixtysixdeuce

Just the nature of the beast, I'm afraid. Nitro is messy. They spit back out of the carb, the fuel tank lids sometimes allow some fuel to escape in a hard hit/landing, some of them allow quite a bit of fuel to get past the bushing into the pullstart, etc.

I clean mine off after pretty much every use. Generally hose them with Windex and blow them off with compressed air. This keeps them pretty clean. If you don't have an air compressor, you'll either spend a great deal of time trying to clean out all the nooks & crannies, or just deal with a bit of an "icky" car.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 AM
PearlDrumsRule

Yep haha. I had a couple of friends tell me that this just castor oil from the engine running and i have to deal with it. After each week of running, I completely take apart both trucks and spray each part with wd-40. It's a lot of work. I think they way you do it is better. I am gonna go buy an air compressor from harbor freight soon they have a lot of uses.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Sixtysixdeuce

I had a couple of friends tell me that this just castor oil from the engine running and i have to deal with it
Or a synthetic, but yeah, it's the lubricant. You'll notice that any two cycle engine will have gummy, oily build-up anywhere that exhaust can escape, even in trace amounts. But your typical 2 cycle runs on a 32:1 (3%) or leaner oil mixture, and gasoline is a solvent that breaks down some of the oil and causes it to evaporate with the gas. Nitro has no solvent properties, and the typical amount of lubricant in car nitro is about 15-18%.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:27 PM
PearlDrumsRule

My KX 125 once had an exhaust leak where the silencer met up with the end of the expansion chamber and the left side plastics got filthy with the oil.