Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Nitro not drawing fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 06:57 AM
Northern Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro not drawing fuel

I picked up an ofna lx pro buggy with a. 26 nitro engine. The guy said he ran it in the fall (don't know if that is legit or not).
The carb slider was gummed up so I cleaned that and got it moving freely.
Now if I plug the exhaust, the fuel line fills but if I let go, it drains back into the tank. This happens with the throttle wide open or closed.
It appears to have decent compression. Glue plug is new and working and I'm using a cordless drill for the starter.

Any suggestions as to what to look at or how to get this thing to draw fuel?
Old 03-14-2014, 07:36 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Have you tried opening the high speed needle? Opening the carb and blowing through the needle or pushing fuel through it with the fuel pump? You could have a clog.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Northern Mike

That is possible. I have the motor out right now so I will check.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:32 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Did you get it going??
Old 03-22-2014, 11:41 AM
Northern Mike

I believe I did, but then ran into issues with drill starter not catching anymore.
I haven't had time to pull the motor apart to see why its not catching anymore.
I did pull the drill starter off and noticed the shaft has a mm or 2 play in it. If it is out a hair, it doesn't catch, and if pressure is applied to it, it does catch. Will pill it apart tonight if time permits.
Tried to move the drill starter over to the other motor, but it doesn't fit the plate.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:44 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

If the rotostarter slips, its probably the One-Way-Cluth (aka One-Way-Bearing) slipping on the starter shaft. Easy fix is hose the one-way out with brake cleaner or ether (starting fluid), reinstall with a drop or two of light oil (air tool oil is perfect) and lightly hand sand the starter shaft (ONLY where the one-way grabs, NOT where it goes through the bushing in the backplate) with 400-600 wet/dry sandpaper. Generally this will cure the trouble. If it comes back later on (short time span) then I'd be looking at the fuel I'm using and the amount of oil in it (or too rich of fuel mixture). High oil fuels cause all sorts of issues but one-way slippage is quite common with high oil fuel or overly rich idle mixture.

Hope this helps.

edit: if the carb doesn't flow fuel after you clean it out, tear the carb down completely. Remove the needles from the holders, remove the slide valve, and soak those parts in glow fuel or methanol for an hour. Blow the parts off with air (no air compressor needed here) and reassemble. A gummed up slide means the fuel circuits are gummed up too. Fuel or clean methanol will work superiorly compared to petroleum stuff. WD-40, or anything of that nature is not going to help you much.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 03-22-2014 at 06:50 PM.