Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Servo upgrade recommendations.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:53 AM
RedEyeBandit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo upgrade recommendations.

I'm looking for suggestions for what would be the best servo upgrade. I don't know too much about servos other than the stock hpi servos aren't very good quality I don't really have a budget but I don't want to get ripped off or buy servos I don't really need. I've been shopping around but with all the different specs and part numbers I'm lost lol. I do realize that the steering servo and throttle servos require different torques so if I can get feedback on what servos are good for what systems it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2016, 08:39 AM
The Saylors

What truck are you wanting to upgrade? That will get us to were we need to be on what torque levels you need leading us to a proper servo setup. Odds are that people are gunna be saying savox, hitech and futaba and they are all right lol
Old 06-24-2016, 08:47 AM
RedEyeBandit

I'm gonna go with the mt2 first. I'm planning on ordering it next week and I want to hopefully be able to order most of the upgrades at the sametime.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:04 PM
The Saylors

I would do a lipo upgrade to the electric system to support the better servos as a lot of the better servos are more power hungry for obvious reasons. It's gunna be preference more than anything along with how much you wanna spend. Lucky for you the servo that the rtr comes with seem to be a very standard size for 1/10th -1/8th scale applications so the choices abound. You could use the 0231mg from savox for the standard cheaper metal gear servo (waterproof) or the hitec or futaba equivalent. Keep in mind that the gas/break servo doesn't need to have nearly the torque that the steering one does to work properly. I don't know how heavy the steering system is on that truck but if it is heavy then getting something with more torque will keep you from burning them up like the savox 1210-sg. If it was me i might just keep the original gas and break servo stock until it dies and replace it with the stock steering one, when the second one dies then move the one that has been the steering servo to the gas/break position and get a new servo for the steering. Steering servo usually wear out the fastest so if you get quality stuff the timeline should work out in your favor. (keep in mind that i'm just using savox as an example, this doesn't mean that they are the best, they are just what i'm more familiar with)
Old 06-24-2016, 04:17 PM
RedEyeBandit

Thanks for the info! Do u happen know what lipo setup would work for the mt2?
Old 06-27-2016, 08:22 AM
The Saylors

looked like there was a link to one on their site http://hpiracing.world/en/parts/1041...roduct_group_3 (its the plasma 7.4) is what they recommend, really any 7.4v pack with the same connector will be plug and play. Either way it will make a pretty big difference in a ton of things.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:40 PM
RedEyeBandit

Thanks saylors. I guess the first place I should of checked was hpi site lol.

How do I know if I have the connector? Is it in the part number of the battery pack.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:20 PM
The Saylors

Looks like the original is the standard flat 2 wire that most AA battery setups take whereas the lipo uses a deans connector if you buy the one from them that they offer. I would use a better connector like a traxxas connector that way you cant plug it in the wrong way and cook everything. I would get the truck and look at how much space you have for a lipo and go from there. Either way from what i'm seeing you will have to get a lipo battery mount (don't worry they are pretty cheap just get a Velcro one) since the long skinny lipo wont fit in the square battery box. Once you know what kind of space you have order a good quality lipo with connectors that you like and then just install the same connector on the truck along with the new battery mount and you should be all good! Don't worry too much about having to solder, its pretty easy just get a decent iron and watch a tutorial on you tube and have at it!
Old 06-28-2016, 02:31 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

LiPo receiver packs... https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...&hsimp=yhs-001
.As you can see they come in all shapes and sizes to fit many different needs.

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-28-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:16 AM
The Saylors

Nice then he should be able to find one that fits the stock box, at least a little one