Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

Ran the wheels off my nitro rustler literally

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Ran the wheels off my nitro rustler literally

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 10:51 PM
Scampaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran the wheels off my nitro rustler literally

Hi,

im new to nitro RC cars although I do have some quadcopters and RC electric cars.

I bought a rustler 2.5 new a couple of days ago. I followed the run in procedure and all was without problems.

On on about my 8th tank of fuel I was running accross a quite bouncy football pitch, with the car lifting its front wheels etc.
Suddenly the right rear wheel sheared completely off the actual wheel itself broke near where the bolt is. The hex is intact and the suspension is all ok it only tumbled a little.

Where I live parts are hard to come by, i can order 2.2 wheels and tyres no problem but the 2.8 versions are non existent and would take about a month for delivery.

What other wheels can I buy? That are direct bolt on? For example jato or bandit rears, is there a difference between the electric rustler and the nitro in fitting?

And lastly before i bolt bolt the new wheels on is there something that I could have done wrong in my settings to create this situation. I hadn't adjusted anything apart from the engine. Found an amazing tune btw
regards
richard
Old 09-14-2016, 06:24 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Scampaboy
Hi,

im new to nitro RC cars although I do have some quadcopters and RC electric cars.

I bought a rustler 2.5 new a couple of days ago. I followed the run in procedure and all was without problems.

On on about my 8th tank of fuel I was running accross a quite bouncy football pitch, with the car lifting its front wheels etc.
Suddenly the right rear wheel sheared completely off the actual wheel itself broke near where the bolt is. The hex is intact and the suspension is all ok it only tumbled a little.

Where I live parts are hard to come by, i can order 2.2 wheels and tyres no problem but the 2.8 versions are non existent and would take about a month for delivery.

What other wheels can I buy? That are direct bolt on? For example jato or bandit rears, is there a difference between the electric rustler and the nitro in fitting?

And lastly before i bolt bolt the new wheels on is there something that I could have done wrong in my settings to create this situation. I hadn't adjusted anything apart from the engine. Found an amazing tune btw
regards
richard
If the wheel itself broke and nothing else, perhaps the wheel nut was loose or maybe the wheel was cracked to start with? It's hard to tell without seeing a picture.

If your truck came with 2.8" wheels out of the box, any 2.8" nitro rear will fit - which would include the jato or even the stampede I believe. The nitro rears and electric rears use the same hex drive, but the offset is different. I believe the nitro wheels stick out a bit more. You must use wheels that are for the rear of a nitro rustler or Jato. You could drop down to a 2.2" wheel on the rustler I believe as I don't think they've changed the rear suspension/axle/carriers in many years. You cannot use 2.2" wheels on a Jato however, without a lot of modification.

As to what can be done to prevent this from happening again? Hard to say. It's a VERY uncommon problem, especially on a new truck. I don't do anything special to my nitro rustler wheels other than use nylon lock nuts with a drop of blue locktite on the axle stub that the nut threads onto. His prevents the wheel but from coming loose or falling off after it's been on and off a bunch of times (eventually the nylon quits "working"). Post a photo of the broken wheel if you can and we should be able to better diagnose why it happened and how to remedy the problem.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:59 AM
Scampaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm on my phone I'll try and post a picture later thanks for the reply.

I checked the rim and it does look like something hit the inside of the rim and broke that too maybe it was weakened by it. I think it was an unlucky day I also sat on my toolbox accidentally and broke it.

I've been checking around I can actually order the rims and the tyres separately so that's not so bad.

I'm going to invest in some thread lock though and maybe check the nuts every couple of tanks. Also the the slipper clutch bolt came loose during the session that could deffo do with some thread lock on that.
Altogether it was a nervous day with the engine not starting first time because it was locked TDC etc. Wheels and then toolbox I had a couple o beers in the evening to relax