Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
HELP brand new Redcat Volcano won't run >

HELP brand new Redcat Volcano won't run

Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

HELP brand new Redcat Volcano won't run

Old 02-23-2017, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP brand new Redcat Volcano won't run

I just purchased my second nitro vehicle. (a red cat volcano) i got it brand new and i am in the process of trying to break it in. i have worked on it for at least three hours trying to get it to run. i have brand new fuel, a brand new glo-plug, a brand new igniter battery and it will not start. i had it running twice for about five seconds and both times it stopped and wouldn't start again. i set the low speed needle to 2.5 turns out from all the way closed, the idle is about an 1/8" open but i don't know where i should set the high speed needle. when i try to prime it there seems to be a lot of back pressure till i let my finger off the exhaust. (it does this even with the needle all the way open.) also when i prime it it sprays fuel out of the carb no matter where the high speed needle is. sorry this a lot any ideas on what to do before i go back to electric?
Old 02-23-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Chances are it's flooding because the idle gap is way too big and you may have over-primed it. The idle gap should be about .5mm-.6mm to start with. The idle mixture needle should be close to flush with the end of the carb slide. High speed needle settings vary depending on the carb - I would set it to 4 turns out.

I prime my engines by blowing in the pressure line from the muffler to the tank until fuel reaches the carb, then blow another second or so. Heat the plug and start it. Factory needle settings are often too rich and sometimes requires adding some throttle to get it started at first. Once the engine does fire, get on the throttle to keep it running and heat it up a little. If it's boggy and really smokey, lean the idle needle 1/8-1/4 turn. You want it rich, by not so rich it won't idle on its own.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so that fixed the problem i ran great and i got it broken in... but the clutch housing started smoking and tuning rainbow when i let it idle i made sure the gear mesh was correct and let it idle a little lower that seemed to help.. but one i got driving around the front stopped working then the back. without taking it apart i think the differentials are both stripped out(when i spin a tire it does not spin the other but it does spin the drive shaft). what did i do wrong? it flipped over and revved really high that is when it stopped working any ideas?
thanks again
Old 02-24-2017, 05:22 AM

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

I can't be of any help without pictures of the problem area - I do not run and have not run any Redcat cars. Any really high revving is very bad - hit the brakes on your transmitter when that happens. I suspect a grub screw on the driveshaft came loose. Does the same thing happen spinning one wheel versus spinning the other wheel?