Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Official HPI MT2 Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI MT2 Thread

That charger definitely will not work. it says it charges 6&7 cell packs, and dont think 4 amps would be good for such small packs. also it has the tamiya connector which doesnt work for those packs but i guess could be changed. and for nimh packs, from what I've heard aren't supposed to be trickle charged, but not for sure. As far as a suggestion, this might be the closest one I could find, but I'm not about to look through all of the chargers they have cause there are alot of them. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCLD5&P=ML however, it doesn't discharge(not sure that with receiver packs you would really need to) and not sure how fast or easy to use it is, dont have one myself. for my receiver pack I just use this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHCF1&P=ML and just check the voltage with my voltmeter. eventually I'll just get a futaba J connector and use it with my MRC 969 pro (this one does discharge) actually every spec you listed except for the less than $50, this is currently $95, but so many more options.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:18 PM

MT 2 Beater
CS MT2 is right that charger will not work for your reciever packs. That charger pushes out a minimum of 4 amps and that would fry your reciever packs. I have a dynamite mega peak power charger does all but discharge your batteries and you dont need to discharge the reciever batteries anyway. Here is a link to the one I have http://www.ehobbies.com/1004-5382.html it can charge 4and 5 cells reciever packs at 1 amp or 6and 7 cell packs at 4 amps. A no brainer charger, just what I need you might try eBay for one, I get alot of stuff off there new and used. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:06 PM

Oh man...so my engine (stock t-15) is down at HPI for warranty, the start pin broke the crank end and ended up seizing the crank on the crankcase wall...I'm bummed now and withdrawals suck

Hey Owl- I bought this pipe =>http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXSP47 and it runs and sounds far better, but usually when there is a motor in the truck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31246.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	311006  
Old 08-16-2005, 03:54 PM

The Owl:

Haven't done this in awhile so here is my list:

All in US Dollars

Small - Anything under $20:
OS Air Cleaner - Came with engine, its really nice
*Air Cleaner - Motor Saver - $11.00
HPI Woven Graphite Front Shock Tower - 17.59
HPI Lightweight Flywheel - 17.59 (Love this flywheel, but not very reliable)
HPI Dodge Body - 18.99 (Just looks Better)
HPI Brake Disk FiberGlass - 12.99 (Stops better)
HPI Hinge Pins Nitro Set - 14.79 (Replace with SS parts)
*Tamiya 4mm Lock Nut - 2.49
HPI Aluminum Hex Hub 12mm - 17.59 (Stops the stripping of the wheels hex)
HPI Teflon Shock Inserts - 3.89 (Had these for my old original shocks, the threaded already have them)
HPI Gear Differential Adjustable Spring Set - 7.69 (Makes the diff act like a ball diff)
HPI Racing Clutch - 13.99
HPI Blue Front Springs - 4.79
HPI Blue Rear Srpings - 4.79
*Hot Bodies Aluminum Front Knuckle Arm - 19.99 (Discontinued, New from Powerline)
*Hot Bodies Aluminum Rear Knuckle Arm - 19.99 (Discontinued, New from Powerline)
Ofna 125CC Fuel Tank - 9.99
HPI Heavy Duty Cup - 6.69 (I thought these were stupid, but they actually last 5 times longer than stock)
HPI Heavy Duty Cup - 5.79 (Same as above)
Proline 2 stage Foam Inserts - 6.19/set (Much better than stock foams)

Medium $20 - $50:
HPI Universal Dogbone Front - 28.99
HPI Universal Dogbone Rear - 28.99
HPI Sway Bar Set - 28.99
HPI Wheels 4 sets - 64.00 (I love having different wheels)
HPI S-Compound X Pattern Tires 2 sets - 50.00 (Gave them away they were alright)
Proline BowTies M Compound Tires 2 sets - 38.00 (Great on Hard Pack Track)
Proline HoleShots M Compound Tires 2 sets - 34.00 (Great on Dusty Loose Track)
Proline Evil Twin R3 Tires - 36.00 (Great on Smooth Groomed Track)
HPI Woven Graphite Rear Shock Tower - 21.99
HPI Titanium Turnbuckles - 34.99 - Needs HPI Heavy Duty Ball Cup - 7.89
THS Exaust - 49.99 (Better than the CVEC and is currently installed)
CVEC Exaust - 37.00 (Better than stock or HPI)
HPI Exaust - 49.99 (Hated it, got a CVEC)
HiTech 645 Steering Servo - 39.99
HPI Aluminum Threaded Front Shock - 37.99
HPI Aluminum Threaded Rear Shock - 37.99
HPI Upper Deck Graphite Woven - 45.99
HPI Hardened Diff Gears - 32.99 (need two)
HPI SS Suspension Shaft - 17.59
Powerline Aluminum Steering - 22.79
Ofna Reciever Pack - 25.99
HPI Super Chassis - 37.99 (This with the CF upper chassis brace makes it super stiff)

Large > $50:
HPI .18SS Engine - 144.99 (Got tired, sold it)
O.S. .18 CV-RX w/11J Rotary Carb - 99.99 (This thing got some b***s)
Airtronics 94758Z Competition Digital Hi-Spd/Torq Servo 99.99 (Turns on a dime)

Just a running list to see what mods I have installed and some notes on them.

I starred the items I think are the most needed for reliablity.

You can compare these things that I have bought to your list and ask about any of them, ie if I liked them or not. Should give you a good idea.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:36 PM

hello Grantothismo im just wondering about the oz 18cv-rx engine u have got wat is the performance on that thing i have heard it is a beast and will be getting it soon so im just wondering wat its like so i would be very greatrful if u could tell me sum of the stuff it has put up with adn i would also like to no if it can pull a weelie in the mt2. thanks mate
Old 08-16-2005, 04:49 PM

RCCRAZYNUT:

No wheelies - too low to the ground and 4wd, but the 18 has great low end grunt and get the truck to move extremely quick. It's easy to tune and holds a tune great. Great engine for the money.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:47 PM

o.s. 18 CV-RX in MT218SS kit. This video was taken with improperly installed throttle linkage only opening 3/4 to full. Gearing is 18t/47t and the truck is lowered with on-road tires for street duty. Engine temperature didn't exceed 245.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=MT218SS
Old 08-16-2005, 11:04 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Has anyone successfully installed a real servo saver in their truck. I am going to try and fit one from a Savage or an RC10GT in mine because I can't stand the spring loaded servo savers that go right on the servo. I have the strongest one that fits in this truck and it sucks. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

RCCRAZYNUT:

I have an OS 18CV-r in my MT2 18ss setup with the stock gears (15t clutch bell and 49t spur) and it flies. I highly recommend this engine if you do not race. My truck will only do wheelies sometimes when ripping in the grass (high traction) and the front wheels hit something that springs up the front end and I am on full throttle. It doesn't happen often but it does happen sometimes. Why do you want to do wheelies anyway it kills the body?

Why does everyone say the Lightweight Flywheel makes the engine run bad? I have only used the Lightweight Flywheels on all the engine I dropped into my trucks such as the HPI .15, Picco .12 and .15, OS 18 CV-r, Callari .12 and so on and I never had a problem with them not idling right but I did notice more bottom end punch.

mrnubs

Nice video
When you get the throttle linkage fixed for full throttle make sure you are in a very large open smooth lot, you will need as much real state as possible to hit top speed. That truck looks nasty

Old 08-17-2005, 03:17 AM

joebaby,

I fixed the linkage night before last when i finally noticed that my throttle wasn't opening up. I took out a litre of 10%oil/20% nitro i have laying around for days that i just want it to go as fast as it can. Man, any little bump in the road will send it flying. An older lady was walking down the street and she looked at me like i was randomly firing a shot around carelessly. It's starting to feel fast in an unsafe kind of way. Good fun .
Old 08-17-2005, 04:39 AM

Joebaby35
Here is a piture of my 18 SS with the ofna throtle linkage setup on it and I love it. Here is a link to it at tower.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXBM06

Name:	Om32930.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	311267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83847.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	311268  
Old 08-17-2005, 08:58 AM

MrNubs

I bet your truck is ready for flight at full throttle now. I like the site you put your video. I will try to get some videos of my truck up there when I get a chance to run it again. I swear my truck is faster then my NTC3 with a worked Callari .12 and 2 speed, I have not been able to run them together yet.
I would like to see some more videos of your truck at 100% throttle if possible.

Nitro Nut

The Ofna linkage is much better then the stock HPI linkage I'm sure you now that already. You might want to move your arm on the carb forward a little bit and put fuel tubing between the carb and servo linkage to ease the pressure on the plastic arm on the carb, and it will make your receiver pack last longer. If your radio has end point adjustments then you really don't have to bother with the fuel tubing trick. I use fuel tubing and have end point adjustments but that's just me.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:28 AM

Thanks guys, i'll be getting the charger nitro nut posted. Will i be able to use the starter box i get for my R40 on the MT2.

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=SWK9902]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=SWK9902[/link]

And will i be able to use the starter box when i put in the O.S CV-RX with the stock flywheel.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 10:16 AM

hey guys, has anyone ever tried the escalade body from HPI on their MT2s??? looks pretty trick on a Savage (1/8th scale). I think it would look pretty on our Mt2s... What do you think???

Also, anyone tried running it on an onroad track ? just to mess around of course.... Is it still heaps of fun?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:32 PM

Joebaby35
Ya I have a JR XS3 radio and reciever w/ jr 270 and 570 servos. The EPA's are great for that.

Grantothismo
I just sold my Nitrostar 18SS and now im going to buy the O.S. .18 CV-RX w/11J Rotary Carb # 11880 that you have. What other items do I need to get it running on my stock MT2 18 SS kit. I have the purple motor mounts and the stock exhaust, can I still use them for now? Or do I need a new pipe that fits the OS? And does it fit my motor mount? Any help from anyone else would be great also.
thanks

Old 08-17-2005, 08:39 PM

hi nitro nut if its the hpi mounts then yes im sure that they do work with the os 18cv-rx engine but im not sure if the exaust manifold will fit or not hope thats helped a little
Old 08-17-2005, 10:24 PM

thanks for the help up to now everyone. I ordered some aluminum turnbuckles with rod ends today ( I remember what I didnt like about RC cars now)
On that note, who makes the best shock upgrades for these trucks?Someone mentioned hex nuts for the wheels. Is this an Issue?
I still want to run a HPI 4.6 in the truck ( or an engine with about twice the HP as the 18SS ( i know it sounds childish, but Ive added a lot of weight to the truck so far and I want it to be fast still)
Also, whats a good tire for cinders (crushed lava rock on a volcano)
and out of the tuned pipes available, what will give the best low end grunt and still keep it going on the top end?
thanks for the help..
owlie
Old 08-17-2005, 11:30 PM

nitro_nut

The stock HPI exhaust system will work but I recommend getting something better. It will really hold back the full potential of the OS .18
The HPI manifold works well if you port it and get a Cvec pipe you should be happy with the performance then. Look at the difference between the very restricted stock untouched manifold and the one I ported. It made a big difference and I haven't even polished it yet. Or you can get the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSP45&P=7]Traxxas side exhaust manifold[/link], which works well.

Name:	Mk26429.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	311706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52892.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	311707  
Old 08-18-2005, 08:00 AM

hey guys,
this is my first post. I am at my wits end. I bought an HPI MT2 about 2 weeks ago. 2 hours after I left the store with it and after 7 tanks of fuel to break it in I had stripped both front and rear diffs. This being fixed, I am now having problems with stripping the rotostart gears. Stripped the originals after 2 days of running the truck. Bought replacement gears, recieved them last night. replaced them and fired up the truck. Only used the rotostart 4 times and now it is stripped again. This is ridiculous! is anyone else having problems with rotostart? Any help would be greatly appreciated....I am at my wits end. HELP ME PLEASE!
Old 08-18-2005, 10:34 AM

Nitro_Nut:

I concur with JoeBaby - get a better exaust - but the stock will work fine. Your Rotostart will screw right on the back of the CV-R. Just ease the holes a little.

The Owl:

Get an OS18-TM - Use the T-Maxx exaust header and have fun - the TM is rated at almost twice the HP as the CV-R and is half the weight of the 46. There is not as much grunt as the 46, but I have heard and seen a 46 in action and they are not as good as others out there. You also have to remember that the more you put in the truck - the more likely you are to break other items on the truck - Food for thought. On the shocks - I run the Aluminum threaded - but they ae heavier. I think they are worth the money and are a direct replacement. The aluminum hexes do help, or you can just remember to tighten your wheels every time you run - that works as well.

HeyLarry:

Contact HPI about you roto start. I have had mine for 2 years and had no problems. Also, shim your diffs. There are at least 50 - 100 posts on this thread on how to do it, but it will make them last much longer.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:40 AM

heylarry

Get in touch with HPI that should all be warrantee.
The gears in the MT2 truck are notorious for stripping out because they are not shimmed properly from the factory and they are made out of very soft metal. Get the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJYM2&P=Z]heavy duty gears [/link] and the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGPA7&P=7]shims[/link] to fix this problem and you should be fine. As for the rotostart get HPI to fix it under warrantee and then lube the gears with grease or oil. Just a suggestion I don’t use the rotostart on any of my cars or trucks so I never had that problem.

Name:	Ni24594.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	311897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39944.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	311898  
Old 08-18-2005, 10:44 AM

All:

Someone was asking what servo saver to use - I have actually pitched mine on the steering servo. The C-spring was so weak that after a month of running it was like turning a wet noodle on the track - so I pitched it and run no servo saver. Dangerous - but that is the kinda guy I am.

Also - anyone else have the aluminum hexes and stripped that little freaking set screw trying to take them off. Just put the hub assembly in the freezer for a minute then pull them out and remove the screw. When the hexes contract - they come off like butter. Just got tired of drilling them out.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:58 AM

I did

You should not have to freeze it to get if off, just pry it off with a screwdriver they are not on there to tight. It happened to me twice. Also my aluminum hexes kept stripping out my rims. They seem to be a bit smaller then the plastic hexes. Maybe I got a set of bad aluminum hexes.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:49 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I am going to get an OS.18 TZ and would like to know if any one makes aluminum shoes for the HPI flywheel and CB set up? I am running the HPI race clutch that looks like the MPI clutch shoes. Is any one running this very high HP engine and if so what clutch are they running?
Old 08-18-2005, 03:26 PM

Try these [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXELJ1&P=7]clutch shoes[/link] or [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDVK9&P=7]these Shoes[/link]
These aluminum shoes will grab hard but at low RPM's which will make the engine feel a little sluggish but with the power of the OS 18TZ who knows.
The Composite Clutch Shoes will grab hard as well but at higher RPM's and they will be better on the clutch bell.
I am going to buy a pair of the Composite Clutch Shoes very soon because the HPI racing clutch I have in there now seems to slip a little when I am hard on the throttle.
By the way I am only running the OS .18 CV-r in my truck, the OS .18TZ is almost double the HP of my engine "SCARY!!!".
Let us here in this fourm know how it is when you get it running. I for one am curious.

Name:	Db83665.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	311988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83727.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	311989  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:10 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I have the OS .15 CV-RX (got it before they made the .18 CV-RX) which by claim HP only has .15 less HP then the OS .18 CV-RX which in these little vehicles is a fair amount. I have not had a problem with the HPI race clutch shoes with over 3 gallons throw it. They came with my HPI MT Racer kit. But with the TZ motor I am not sure they will hold? I know one person that has a TZ in their SS MT with a HPI racing clutch and claims he has not had a problem but you never know. I have seen it run a couple of times and it flies!!!!!!!!!!

My Savage 4.6 SS came with 3-carbon shoe clutch and I have never been able to keep it from slipping after over a gallon of fuel so I am installing the Nova aluminum in it. Keep in mind the big block drinks fuel like we do water.

Since you are going to run Savage shoes then the Nova Savage 2 shoes should work and are cheaper.
THANKS!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.