Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Official HPI MT2 Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI MT2 Thread

Blankstare - I bought a Motor Saver s1060. Definately flows more air.

Sorry for the late response.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:34 PM

26Dave

I was wondering if the .18 was worth it, but you seem to have convinced me.

Thanks for the info - I love this thread!!!

Hey Steve Campbell, I couldn't agree with you more. I go every Tuesday to a track for test and tune and I just smoke any monster truck in the tight corners. Truggies (Monster Truck Buggies) give me a little trouble, but I ca always out handle them and the MT2 pulls like a bat out of hell - even with the .15.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:17 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. My two flying buddies have a Savage and a TMaxx, and we run our trucks between flights. In a straight drag race down the runway, when they shift into second gear its all over; they smoke me bad. But there is NO way they can stay with me when we run the cones or just play tag.

Its even better on pavement. Those monster trucks don't well at all on hard surfaces; they're simply too top-heavy.

Since I'm not into bling, upgrades, etc. (at least for my r/c land vehicle), the stock RTR stadium trucks are the best for me. Relatively inexpensive, reasonably durable, and a ton of fun. And after using 2WD for a couple of years, I really like this 4WD.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:57 AM

Ive had my MT2 for a month now and i'm not too impressed. I'm a total beginner so thought it would be a good first car. On the road its fine but i took it into the fields and killed the diffs in like 3mins and i hardly thrashed it! I spent the next few weeks thinking it was something like tuning or an air leak problem before i sorted it. I got two sets of diffs delivered by Mirage (who were v. good), carefully fitted them and it ran fine, back in the field and it took about 2mins to strip them again! I very nearly went to HPIs office (i only live 30mins away) to throw it through their window! Apparently i have to add an M5 washer to gives the diffs a more snug fit.

Has anyone got any tips on how to make the rear diffs last longer? I was expecting to be doing jumps like they do on the DVD not sat inside covered in grease!!! [:'(]

P.S. On the plus side i have learned a hell of a lot!
Old 04-27-2004, 02:17 PM

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I have close to a gallon through mine now, and nary a bit of trouble out of the diiferentials. I run it on pavement, mown grass, and in high grass among the borders of our flying field. I should add that the high grass area is rife with bumps, clods, etc.; i.e., little jumps.

I have been thinking that the diff problems are due to people trying to jump over their real car, etc. I have watched some of the locals around here run their buggies/trucks, and they are VERY hard on them; I mean, running full-bore into trees and mailboxes, jumping concrete curbs at WOT, jumping off six-foot ramps, and other major abuse. Hey, that's cool if you want to do it, but don't cry when you tear your ride up doing it.

But you say you have been relatively gentle with yours. Perhaps your spur slipper is not tight enough, and allows the diffs to slip when they shouldn't?

I have a couple of packages of shims, and a new set of diff gears, for just in case. Hoepfully, they'll stay in the packages...

Old 04-27-2004, 03:15 PM

Hi

i have my mt2 for about two months and today i had a pretty unlucky crash.
i managed to brake FRONT SUSPENSION ARM (part 85074)
now i need a replacement but as i live in UK to get stuff from towerhobies takes a lot of time
so i would like to ask if the part

FTHP80
Fastrax
HPI NITRO MT FRONT SUSPENSION ARMS

would it fit?

because i am quite new to the mt2.

thanks
Old 04-27-2004, 10:50 PM

I have just stripped my first set of diffs after 1/2 gallon of fuel. I think I have ran it about 30 times or more and I am quite hard on mine. I think it is resonable to have the diffs wear like they do, but I did buy the shims and will put them in the next set of gears.

I love the truck and have had very little problems. I bought universals for the front - everyone said that I should get them and of course they busted. I am now running the stock dogbones and they are fine.

Sometimes its better to well enough alone.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:53 PM

Does Fasttrax have a website?

I have been searching for them on Google but cannot find them.

My gut instinct is no, but I need to see the part.

Please attach the link to the part.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:34 AM

i have only that description...

but i have a picture
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2004, 10:18 PM

Can you get the width of the inside and outside? If so then you can match it against your lower a-arms and see if they match. Other than that it is a crap shoot. Wish I could help you more.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:12 AM

no i just have this picture and thats it.

but i think it will not fit my mt2

and i read in hpi site that it is useless to replace suspension arms to aliuminium ones

ALUMINUM SUSPENSION ARMS
Do not use aftermarket aluminum suspension arms, they will bend in a crash and possibly cause other parts to break on the truck. Our stock arms will be the best choice, especially after they have been boiled for 10 minutes.
intresting
Old 04-30-2004, 10:35 AM

I put New Era Aluminum Suspension Arms on my MT2 and so far so good.... I bashed it pretty good last night, kept jumping it off a curb & dirt... I think it helped lower the center of gravity too....
Old 05-03-2004, 10:30 PM

Just posting something to keep this current.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:01 PM

I REALLY REALLY NEED TO NOW IF A T-MAXX BODY WILL FIT A MT2

THANKS
Old 05-04-2004, 04:23 PM

From HPI's forum:

"""""""""""""""""""
HPI Staff
HPI Administrator

The bodies for the Savage and T-Maxx are larger than the ones made for the Nitro MT and Rush, so they won't fit perfectly. I'm sure people have tried it, but the safest choice would be the bodies that we make specifically for the NMT and Rush, which have the mounting holes and shock tower locations in the correct spots.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Old 05-15-2004, 09:12 PM

I am thinking about getting a HPI rs4 mt 2. i am deciding between this and a t-maxx. i don't know what to get. i will almost always be driving it on grass and it is fairly bumpy grass with some small holes. i have never had a nitro before.

How long does a stock rst mt 2 run on a full tank of fuel? Is it durable? What would you suggest i get between a t-maxx and a rs4 mt 2? It seems like the mt 2 would be a fair bit cheaper. you can get a whole engine, for the rs4 mt 2, for the price of a piston and sleve for a t-maxx.

How long will a piston and sleve last?

thanks
Old 05-15-2004, 09:40 PM

I never really timed myself with a tank of gas, I would guess between 10-15 minutes. T-Maxx and MT2 are completely different beasts - like apples and oranges. If you like 10th scale, agile 4wd stadium truck - MT2 - if you are looking for a true monster truck - Savage or Revo.

I found my MT2 very easy to break in and the directions are fantastic. Traxxas does not have as detailed directions, at least they didn't with my Stampede.

I have had mine for two months - my Stampede for 6 years and I have yet to replace one. Follow the directions, do not run them too lean and they should last a good long time.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:44 PM

thanks for all your help. I mangaed to find this offical thread. do you know how fast the rs4 mt 2 goes? Does it go faster or slower than a new t-maxx?
Old 05-15-2004, 10:25 PM

the diff problem can bo fixxed very easy with a washer as said in posts above. Hpi will give you a new set of diff if you stripped them out i think . That stores out my way don't have this problem with the nmt2 that they have sold so i think that it is a first batch think
Old 05-15-2004, 10:36 PM

Anyone with the T-15 yet and how stellar is it running for you?
Old 05-16-2004, 12:46 AM

how many times would they replace ur differentials for free? plus how deep of water can u go in with it and plus how fast did u guys go with those .18 ss in them and did yall hav to do any mods to fit the engine in and how much is the engine
Old 05-16-2004, 03:45 AM

Hey, I find that the MT2 has some difficulty on bumpy grass. It doesn't have enough ground clearance. It's a very nice truck, but if you're running on bumpy grass, I think you should go for something else. On concrete and sandy fields, it's really good.

P.S. What do you do to make the MT2 accelerate fast (with the stock T-15)? Have you replaced the clutch (with a racing clutch)? Or is my low speed needle prolly too rich? Because my acceleration is not so impressive. Or is it mainly because I drive 16%.

On the other hand, I can say that the T-15 is a very reliable engine, and together with the very good instructions on DVD, it is certainly a good engine for a starter in nitro. I have no difficulty getting it started. You can run several tanks after eachother and the engine won't cut out once (if tuned correctly off course). I get about 10 min. run-time out of 1 tank. Perhaps I do am running a little too rich? But I have attached a little steel wire to the cap of the tank, so I can open it easy with the body on. That way I can refuel very fast without needing to stop the engine or remove the body.

An other question: what is the purpose of the slipper clutch in the spur gear? Is it to allow the front and rear wheels to move at different speeds? What would happen performance-wise if the slipper clutch was too tight or too lose?
Old 05-16-2004, 10:51 AM

For anyone else that has a rs4 mt 2 that drives it on bumpy grass, how does it work? I want to get one, but the only place i will be driving it is on grass.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:36 AM

I fitted a nylon tie wrap to my tank lid for the same purpose.

tjaf, mine too won't "tune" for maximum speed and acceleration without overheating and quitting halfway through a tank. What's really strange is that it is still blowing good smoke here; but it is obviously overheating. Richen it up a bit and it runs fine, for as long as you keep fuel in it. But the top end and acceleration were diminished somewhat.

I first tried opening up the side windows to get more air flowing over the head. Then I went to 25% nitro fuel. I had been using 15%. Both fuels have about 18% oil content, half synthetic/half castor. The higher nitro definitely improved low-end acceleration, but it still over heats on the top end when needled for max speed.

So either the engine is not fully broken in yet, or it just won't perform at max with these fuel/plug combos. I feel sure the engine is broken in; after almost a gallon, it should be. And it was broken exactly how the book said to do it.

At any rate, I am happy to richen it up a bit. It still runs pretty fast there, and I'll take the reliability factor (not to mention longer engine life) any day over a bit more speed.

I agree with you regarding ground clearance. But on smooth grass, such as a yard or other maintained area, the truck runs great. And it is a real hoot on pavement; the 4WD gives you an incredible degree of control that 2WD cannot approach.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73459.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	132785  
Old 05-16-2004, 12:07 PM

I think i will get a t-maxx instead. I
hope it does not end up costing much more in the long run. I heard it breaks easy but that is probally after someone decided to jump their house or car or something stupid. I will just be driving on bumpy grass, dirt and pavement and i don't plan on jumping it so it should hold up good.

What fuel do you people use in your cars and trucks. airplane fuel is 26.99 canadian and car fuel is 40.00. I was told not to use airplane, but it is so mush cheaper. they both have 20% nitro, but the airplane has 18% oil and the car has 16% oil. Will it work?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.