Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Official HPI MT2 Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI MT2 Thread

Is any body else a bit miffed at the quality of the parts on the Hpi Mt218ss
every time I take it out something else breaks, today the heatsink/Head threads have sheared leaving me a head that I cannot tighten my glow plug and therefore no compression.

Am I the Only one who spends more on his MT2 18ss than I am on my real car????

Neal.

p.s USED FOUR TIMES FOUR EXPENSIVE REPAIRS.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:33 AM

yeah i find that but mine arent that bad and because you stripped the heads on your screws isn't hpi's fault maybe you weren't using the right size allen key???
Old 01-21-2007, 11:01 AM

Neal
Srry but most of us here believe quite a bit in are Mt's
the only part i have ever brokken was the nipple on the fuel tank
although i up to aluminum read diff housings and diff gears
it is probaly the way you drive
Old 01-21-2007, 11:40 AM

Hi Lewis,

I havent striped the heads, the threads in the heatsink that the glow plug screws into have now gone leaving a threadless head I;E no threads to secure the glow plug.
I hacenever stripped a head as use very moderate force as they are alloy parts and I am very aware how easy they are to damage.
A screw I could live with but £35 + for a new head + £15 for a new fuel tank seems a bit much after 4 runs.

I dont drive too recklessley either, however i dont do laps of a car park either, just some laps of the local woods nothing near the abuse that HPI show the car performing on there website.
The vid clips of the 18ss where the reason I opted for that model as it depicts the car jumping at speed on a BMX/Skate park and if they are going to promote their product for such use they should make sure it is up to the Job.

P.S we are almost neighbours I am on the Wirral

regards
Neal.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:48 AM

o sorry i miss read what you said then i also have done that before where the glow plug screws into i got the part off ebay it is called an underhead
Old 01-21-2007, 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: nealmarin

Hi Lewis,

I havent striped the heads, the threads in the heatsink that the glow plug screws into have now gone leaving a threadless head I;E no threads to secure the glow plug.
I hacenever stripped a head as use very moderate force as they are alloy parts and I am very aware how easy they are to damage.
A screw I could live with but £35 + for a new head + £15 for a new fuel tank seems a bit much after 4 runs.

I dont drive too recklessley either, however i dont do laps of a car park either, just some laps of the local woods nothing near the abuse that HPI show the car performing on there website.
The vid clips of the 18ss where the reason I opted for that model as it depicts the car jumping at speed on a BMX/Skate park and if they are going to promote their product for such use they should make sure it is up to the Job.

P.S we are almost neighbours I am on the Wirral

regards
Neal.
Under Head -
ok so you have stripped your underhead. they are around £8.00. They strip because you have either used a different glow plug ie a o.s short glow plug and what happens is because they are short you can not tighten them up enought so the threads strip from vibration. The threads also shread if you cross-thread them. You have to be very carefull when screwing your glowplug in and out.

Fuel Tank -
How did you break your fuel tank? did the exhaust get pressed in to the side of the tank causing a spider crack?. if so this can be repaired with some CA glue. It happened to me and i glued mine ive had about a gallon through it so far and its holding up well.

Heatsink -
why do you need a new one?

So overall it will cost £8.00 unless you want a new tank which is £15.00. This hobby is expensive i must agree.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:03 PM

Thanks Djheptic,

I have a crack running from the top filler port down to the base of the tank on the foremost side of the tank i:E the closest side to the front of the car.
I cant see how it could of hit anything but you never now how much movement is in these things when they move around at speed.
I have Glued and tapped it up for now.

I have just done a search for a new underhead for the 18ss engine and all I am getting is purple heatsink/head with pre-installed underhead.

Does any one now of a UK suplier that stocks just the underhead for the .18ss ??

cheers

Neal.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:07 PM

neal try jespares.com they might have it they are very good sellers
Old 01-21-2007, 12:15 PM

Thanks Lewis,

just had a look on the Jespares site and as with the others I have checked they had underheads for the t15 .21 but nothing listed for the .18ss

any ideas anybody??

Neal.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:17 PM

Had a good morning with my MT2 today, until....the front left wheel came off. It was quite comical the way it kept rolling all the way into a hedge. The car kind of skidded to a stop. The underneath of the chassis had a bit of damage, but nothing to worry about.

I've not tightened the nuts on the wheels since I've had the car (a few months now) so I suppose this is another thing learnt!
Old 01-21-2007, 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: arapoda

Had a good morning with my MT2 today, until....the front left wheel came off. It was quite comical the way it kept rolling all the way into a hedge. The car kind of skidded to a stop. The underneath of the chassis had a bit of damage, but nothing to worry about.

I've not tightened the nuts on the wheels since I've had the car (a few months now) so I suppose this is another thing learnt!
lol happened to me to. Check your nuts after every day of running. same with everything else like screws ect.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:27 PM

Thanks Lewis,

just had a look on the Jespares site and as with the others I have checked they had underheads for the t15 .21 but nothing listed for the .18ss

any ideas anybody??

Neal.
im sure the underhead for the t-15 is the same as for the .18ss someone correct me if i am wrong but im 99% sure they are the same
Old 01-21-2007, 12:37 PM

dont think its the same because the piston on a 18 is bigger than on a 15 right????
Old 01-21-2007, 12:41 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rcnz

ORIGINAL: 46u

Yes I know Cliff and the guy over there today was Tony as I helped him with his MT 2 till 11:30 pm last night. I hear his diff gears went out and I told him months ago to get the heavy duty ones.
Yes, diff problems...I'm having some trouble once again with mine. I'm running the hardened ones however about 2 months ago, the set-screw popped out of the diff cup and the gears slipped causing the pinion to loose 4 teeth. The heavy-duty final gear survived though and so I just put in the hardened 13T pinion for the original MT. Has been working OK, however the grub screw that secures the cup onto the pinion flatspot has popped out tonnes of times despite heavy threadlocking.

Tonight it popped out again, however the gear must have slipped when it happened and now the rear diff is clicking big time. I will take it apart tommorrow - I think I might just go ahead and order another set of the proper hardened diff/final gear for the MT2. The MT pinion is fine, but the way the diff cup secures onto it is a real weak point.

A real pain as well - the car was running so nicely! BTW 46u, when you shimmed the pinion what shims did you use? From memory you once posted up a link to a Tower Hobbies part number for those - this is one isn't it?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTB43&P=7
Yes that is what I use to shim my Diff.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:46 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: lewis_lfc

if i were you you should definatley upgrade tha diffs and maybe a hardened spur gear.also you would get a lot more performance with a tuned pipe try the tsais rear pipe as a lot of people run it in this forum

ORIGINAL: dnizzle2

i have a stock t 15 and i am ordering my os .18 cv rx at the LHS tomorro. should i upgrade anything else? i have the stock pipe, clutch, clutch bell, spur gear, axles, and diffs, actually everything but the fuel tank and fuel filter is stock.i just wanna order everything i need at once. thanks ahead of time

I personally do not like heavy rotating weight metal spurs. I have not had a problem even with the TZ in my MT or with my 11-pound Savage with the stock plastic spur. The spur on my race Savage has well over 7 gallons of run time on it and still looks fine. Metal spurs are good for those that do not know how to set mesh. If you run a metal spur make sure you run a hardened CB!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2007, 12:51 PM
46u

Is any body else a bit miffed at the quality of the parts on the Hpi Mt218ss
every time I take it out something else breaks, today the heatsink/Head threads have sheared leaving me a head that I cannot tighten my glow plug and therefore no compression.

Am I the Only one who spends more on his MT2 18ss than I am on my real car????

Neal.

p.s USED FOUR TIMES FOUR EXPENSIVE REPAIRS.

No offense but is it the truck or the end user? I have not had any real problem till I put the high out put TZ in. Until I put the TZ in I had well over 8 gallons run time on mine with very little problems. At the track many called it old faithful. Just in case you have not seen it before here is a picture that will give you an idea how much run time I have on mine.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52301.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	603159  
Old 01-21-2007, 02:19 PM

omg omg i got my t-15 running sweetly now and its holding a tune i am so happy my first tank of fuel and it didnt stall
Old 01-21-2007, 02:24 PM

Hi 46u,

No offence taken,

by the way what is TZ?

I am a reasonably cautious driver that is yet to crash!!! watch this space though, no racing just wizing around the local woods a bit of air time of mud bumps but nothing more.
I would hope to get a bit more than 4 sessions before I had to start replacing parts, after all it is ment as an off road machine not a flat road cruiser.

regards

Neal.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:28 PM

i have had my mt2 for about 1 and a half months and i have ragged the hell out of it and had nothing go wrong except a striped diff but that was my fault .i for got to put greese back in it after i cleaned it
Old 01-21-2007, 02:42 PM
46u

Hay guys Spectrum DX3.0 $209.95 with two receivers and DX2.0 with one receiver $149.95. Free shipping over $100
http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=SPM20300!1002&csurl=%2Fistar%2Eas p%3Fa%3D3%26dept%3D36%26manufacturer%3DSPM%26sortb y%3D%26numperpage%3D16%26

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=SPM20200!1002&csurl=%2Fistar%2Eas p%3Fa%3D3%26dept%3D36%26manufacturer%3DSPM%26sortb y%3D%26numperpage%3D16%26
Old 01-21-2007, 02:53 PM
46u

Hi 46u,

No offence taken,

by the way what is TZ?

Neal.
The OS 18 TZ has the most HP of any small block and has as much or more then some big blocks. Check out the link
http://www.osengines.com/reviews/osm...st-rcnitro.pdf

Reliability has a lot to do with how you maintain your vehicle as well. After a day at the track or on the rare occasions I bash I spend between 1 to 2 hours servicing each vehicle. Then once about every 3 months I tear them all the way down and do a major service.

After each tank of fuel I give it a once over looking for anything that needs tighten or might need attention. If you took a 1 to 1 size car and put it through what we do these little RC vehicle how well do you think they would hold up?

I have had about 15 engines and never strip anything on them. What problems have you had besides the striping things on the engine that I have to wonder if that was the engines fault?
Old 01-21-2007, 03:05 PM

Hi 46u

My Fuel tank split right down the length of one side front end closest to the front.
front knuckle cracked, now replaced with alloy varient.

I too spen time checking each aprt after a run hence the fault finding sfter each run.
The most common prob I have had has been drive shaft couple ing pins working free even when they are thread locked, although I have manged not to lose one yet :-)

I find it interesting and reassuring that you are all so quick to asume the owners neglogence when a problem with an MT2 occurs rather than a material fault.
you are all very much as I am impressed withn the performance of these little cars.

If I was to take a 1:1 car on a similar drive i would take a purpose built off road machine built for the task and if after 4 drives it fell apart I too would be back to the showroom asking questions of the build quality of the parts, it's only human to expect a machine built for a specific purpose to be capable of perfoming the task without a daily repair bill.

This is not after all formula one technology that should require a re-build after each drive it is a robust peice of kit that is built for off road use.

regards
Neal.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:56 PM

46u ywould u rather have a 18 cvrx than a tz???
Old 01-21-2007, 04:23 PM
46u

Hi 46u

My Fuel tank split right down the length of one side front end closest to the front.
front knuckle cracked, now replaced with alloy varient.

I too spen time checking each aprt after a run hence the fault finding sfter each run.
The most common prob I have had has been drive shaft couple ing pins working free even when they are thread locked, although I have manged not to lose one yet :-)

I find it interesting and reassuring that you are all so quick to asume the owners neglogence when a problem with an MT2 occurs rather than a material fault.
you are all very much as I am impressed withn the performance of these little cars.

If I was to take a 1:1 car on a similar drive i would take a purpose built off road machine built for the task and if after 4 drives it fell apart I too would be back to the showroom asking questions of the build quality of the parts, it's only human to expect a machine built for a specific purpose to be capable of perfoming the task without a daily repair bill.

This is not after all formula one technology that should require a re-build after each drive it is a robust peice of kit that is built for off road use.

regards
Neal.
OK you tell me what the problem is as others do not have near the problem you do so if the same question was asked you what would you think? I have MANY gallons of run time on mine with very few problems. Sorry but I hear the same thing about the Savage which I all so have and others I own and have not had a real problems with them either. I read it all the time! I guess I just got lucking and got the best ones made on all 19 of mine. [X(] I guess you got the lemon. I do wish you luck and do not seem I can help.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:30 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: crohbober

46u ywould u rather have a 18 cvrx than a tz???
If I had it to do all over yes I think I would get the CV but no I am not going to trade it as I do not race my MT any more of much any how and being I have others I race I am going to see if I can get it where it will holds up with the TZ in it. I am gaining on it as each time I up date to cure a problem so far I have not had the same problem. It is more of and experimental vehicle now. All so I all ways want to build one just to be a rocket and this one is that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.