Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Official HPI MT2 Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI MT2 Thread

Combatcm, thanks again for the other link to those shims. I think I'll just pick up a bunch of different kinds at my LHS and hopefully some will work. I don't exactly understand what you said in your last message, as I'm new to this differential maintenance, and could use a lot of help.

Holy! That really does look like Peter Griffin! That's hilarious!

Anty, wow! That doesn't look good... How exactly do you get to the differential? Is it inside the rear bulkhead area?
Old 07-20-2005, 01:45 PM

JAMXX

This is the site I was trying to think off and here are the shims I bought which helped-- http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?part_id=1654

Personally I would not carry on using my truck if it was clicking as you will defo have to go and buy new Diffs as they will end up looking like Anty's in the above pic. But it upto you hey

ChrisX,
I didnt actually realise it was you again, but FANX!!

Anty.

No in the end Grantorismo offered me his old HPI stock engine nice and cheap, and as im tight!! I accepted, but is running a treat, much better than my old stock one??
Also, my bumper screws are just like that, well I lie, one is, the other is broken in half!!! DOH!!!

No body answered my Q about this-- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...987017945&rd=1

Is it better than stock and will it fit??

Also, get this!! Just went out for a bash with me truck, got it running and was just driving around in a circle to get it upto temp and she stalls. Walk over to crank it over and the clutch is stuck, as if I had melted it? HOWEVER, when I strip her down, the only part that has melted was B046..... the little bearing inside the clutch!!!!

Has this happened to any one else? Why did it happen?? and where can I get a new one quick!!!

Cheers
Old 07-20-2005, 01:55 PM

That pic is of the pinion entering the bulkhead. The pinion is connected to the ball cup through the bulkhead.

I ended up shimming the pinion gear towards the final gear.

The gears inside of the differential case looked squeaky clean.

Anty
Old 07-20-2005, 02:05 PM

Hey EJ, you can use the same needle bearings, or go with the Savage bearings like posted [link=http://chrix.woaf.net/images/gallery/94.jpg]here.[/link]

The needle bearings are [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXM766&P=M]here.[/link]
As far as the servo fitting...

Here are the dims from the ebay page
- Dimensions : 1.59" x 0.77"x 1.48" (40.6 x 19.8 x 37.8mm)
And here are the dims from the Airtronics page.
- Dimensions: L:1.54" x W:0.79" x H:1.42"

Look pretty close.

Anty
Old 07-20-2005, 02:08 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I've had no experiance with needle bearings, but I think you can use a certain sized flange bearings instead. Do anything you get to not use needle bearings.

While my engine was out I noticed that the manifold opening was a lot smaller than the engine exhaust outlet. I widened it a little and hope it flows more free.

The MT2 is pretty easy to work on

(All off the top of my head)

Take out the bottom 4 screws on the rear transmission, the gearbox should rise off the chassis.

Take out the 4 screws on the rear of the gearbox that holds it on the shock tower.

The tranny case should come the tower

Take out the smaller screw that holds the case together

The case should come apart.

If you feel it's necessary, today I may take photos of diff shims, disassembly and anything else that someone else may be interested.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74727.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	299516  
Old 07-20-2005, 02:12 PM

Well, I'm pretty sure it is my rear differential that's clicking. I'll go have a look-see at it and just follow the instructions in the manual backwards to get to it. Then I'll see what's up with it...

Would it be a temporary fix if I just cleaned it out and filled it with differential lube?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:15 PM

Anty,

Nice one with the dimensions and needle bearing, I shall have to go and grab one, hope my LHS stocks them!!!

Basically, i want a new servo for the sterring as this is the only downfall with my truck at the moment. I dont want to pat through the roof for one so that is why i was looking on Ebay.
Has any one got any good links to one that is stronger with more torqe than stock??
Old 07-20-2005, 02:35 PM

Thanks Combatcm. I've been working on it and I'm at the part where you ended. I have cracked the case open, and everything seems to be in working order. It is properly greased, but I don't know where to go from here and I don't want anything to mess up... Should I just take out that assembly and see what I can find in that black cylindric container (which I am assuming is the differential)?

Thanks man, you've helped me so much!
Old 07-20-2005, 02:41 PM
My Feedback: (1)

If you are trying to shim the diff, then buy those traxxas fiber shims. Take the drive cup off the bevel shaft and then put some shims on the inside of the bevel gear, to move the smaller ring gear toward the larger diff.

I don't know how much it will take, but too much is better than not enough. The axle cases are weak and this causes the gears to separate.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:56 PM

Hold on... Let's do it this way. I'm going to post some pictures, and if you don't mind, could you tell me where the shims should go? I'm still a bit unclear as to where you are talking about... Here are the pictures:

Name:	Eb86635.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	299537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76384.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	299538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71955.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	299539  
Old 07-20-2005, 03:40 PM

That middle pic that has the bevel/pinion gear in it.

Pull the e-clip off, and pull the gear out. Put the shims on the shaft and then put the gear back on.

I bought [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTB43&P=Z]this,[/link] and used the 5mm shims.

But you can also use the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJJ88&P=7]Traxxas Fiber Shims[/link].
HTH

Sorry if what I am saying and what every one else is saying is confusing. I am using the "mechanic" terms for the gears, while everyone else is using the manual terms. I will use their terms.

Anty
Old 07-20-2005, 03:58 PM

Hey Combatcm

I see what you are saying. Use the 10mm shims and push the bearings out!

Hmmm...

I just used 5mm ones and put them right over the shaft between the bearings and the gear.

Is that bad?

EDIT

After thinking about it and consulting some manuals, I don't think it will matter much as the side wall of a bearing does not take the load.

Anty
Old 07-20-2005, 04:49 PM

That's probably what I'll do then if you think it'll be okay like that. I would think it would be, since I know that the Rustler has shims on top of bearings in some places around the vehicle. And you put wheel hubs right on top of bearings as well... Don't know if this is the same kind of thing, but I think it is.

I'll have to get some shims, then. I don't have any on hand. Is there a temporary fix for this kind of thing?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2005, 06:29 PM

Well, this is simply unbelieveable... Look what I found while looking for an extra Tamiya connector in my "useless things" bin. I'm going to have to change the name of it now...

Name:	Ge95935.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	299595  
Old 07-20-2005, 10:23 PM

EJ:

Glad to hear the engine is running well. Here across the pond, I just buy from Tower or my LHS they both stock the bearings and yes I have had one pop out and get stuck in the clutch assembly.

Gran
Old 07-21-2005, 03:24 AM

Gran,
Im glad it has happened to some one else, it was very strange, it had actually melted!!!! I had to scrape it all out of the clutch bell? Why would this have happened?

Im off work Friday so will hope that my LHS will have them in stock, im sure they will.

Can any one suggest a good servo for steering that does not cost a bomb? Links would be VERY helpful pls

JAMMX.

Hope you got your shimming problem solved, there is nowt more annoying than having a truck that you can not run!!! and my MT2 is the only truck i own so all i can do is look at it [&o]
Old 07-21-2005, 09:01 AM

Guys--

Im trying to find out the TECH stuff about the stock servos, ie Transit Time (sec) - Torque: (oz/in)

Can any one help me please?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:38 AM

This one does not look too bad.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHHV5&P=0]Hobbico CS-64[/link]

Anty
Old 07-21-2005, 11:02 AM

These aren't bad, and they're not expensive either. As far as I can tell, they look pretty good.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDTB3&P=ML]Futaba S3010[/link]
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUZ89&P=ML]Hitec HS-645MG Servo[/link]

Here's a real cheap one from Futaba. It isn't great, but it's VERY reasonable.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXH288&P=ML]Futaba S3003 Servo[/link]

Take a look around these... Here's the page I found those off of.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0097p?CATEGORY=MA&FVSEARCH=SERVO]Click here.[/link]
Old 07-21-2005, 11:28 AM

I have the S3305 for my steering, and am planning to get the S3010 for throttle, I've never had a problem with Futaba stuff.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:34 AM

The stock one should be this one.

Airtronics 94102Z Standard Heavy Duty Servo Z

SPECS: Dimensions: L:1.54" x W:0.79" x H:1.42"
Transit Time: .22 seconds/60 degrees
Motor: Standard 3 pole
Weight: 1.59 oz
Torque: 50 oz/in
Deadband: 6.0 micro seconds
Old 07-21-2005, 12:10 PM

Well, I don't think I'll be fixing my differential today. I'm not feeling too well, but I may fix it if I feel a bit better later on. That servo that ChriX posted is a good one. It isn't too awfully expensive either; I'd go with that one.

Also, how do I know how many shims to put between the bevel gear and the bearing? Should I just put as many as possible that I can with the e-clip still fitting correctly? Or will it be obvious once I take it apart. I haven't done so yet since I was somewhat sick yesterday and busy. Now I just feel like garbage. []

Thanks guys, you've helped me out a lot!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:31 PM

I'm using the futaba s3003 servos for both throttle/brake and steering. The steering servo is just beginnning to give it up at almost three gallons. I haven't taken it aparat to have a look yet, but it's definitely beginning to get worn. Just a heads up there.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:36 PM

Jammx

I put mine in untill I could just feel the gears meshing. You will know what I am talking about when you add them, and put it together and spin it. I can just feel the mesh of the gears. Better to have it too much then not enough.

Anty
Old 07-21-2005, 04:16 PM

Okay, I'll do that. I just fell asleep for a couple hours and I'm feeling a lot better, so maybe I'll do that later on. Just depends.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.