Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Official HPI MT2 Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI MT2 Thread

Thanks MountainCat,
That is the prepainted body that came with the XTM Mammoth ST, I wished I could take the credit for that. The 18SS is my first paint job. I bought a paint mask at my LHS by XXX MAIN for the flames and then painted the flames florecent yellow and then went over the back part of the flames with red to get the fade look. I did some reading before I painted it. I wanted it to look good and I am really happy with it. Oh and by the way i used the small paint cans also.

ORIGINAL: MountainCat

Cool Looking truck there nitro nut! I sure like the speckled paint job. It seems to me that I read somewhere on trying to accomplish such a paint job somewhere but can't remember where. Maybe on overhauling on Discovery Channel.

MC
Old 08-13-2005, 09:14 AM

I got the tank form tower hobby, the tank is a 145cc for a ofna truck called violator or something like that.. is $13.00 dollars and it make the diffrence.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72227.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	309547  
Old 08-13-2005, 09:20 AM

Servo saver is made by futaba and the other is duratrax and it fit perfectly in the hitec servo is cheap and you can get it from tower hobby

Name:	He97109.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	309548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55476.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	309549  
Old 08-13-2005, 09:23 AM

As far as the GPM home page, don't worry just go to www.beatyourtruck.com and it give you all the web links. ok, also $65.00 for a gear box aluminum is BS, you can get it for 20 bucks direct from gpm
Old 08-13-2005, 09:27 AM

NO. what happend is that I got a bigger fuel tank and so I had to move the pipe a little bit out, it just look like it but is well secured.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:44 PM

hi,
i'm kinda new to this nitro RC thing, i have a HPI MT 2 which i have had for several months now and so far managed to not break anything! I would like to start to add a few hop-ups, i have about £60 to spend and was wondering what you guys thought was worth getting? i've added a fail safe and new fuel lines so far.

cheers
Old 08-13-2005, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Olly P

hi,
i'm kinda new to this nitro RC thing, i have a HPI MT 2 which i have had for several months now and so far managed to not break anything! I would like to start to add a few hop-ups, i have about £60 to spend and was wondering what you guys thought was worth getting? i've added a fail safe and new fuel lines so far.

cheers

Metal gear high torque steering servo, and metal gear high speed servo for the throttle and brake.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:51 PM

hello every one im new to the gas r\c thing i got my mt2 off e bay all ready to run its got .18 ss motor and 2 speed trany umm i just got it broke in and was runnin it to day and i striped out a front axel so i got them on order i whould just unhook my front drive shaft but my rear diff case is grindin do i gotta shime that does any one have the link to get the shims? umm and i have bout $200 bucks to spend any input on what to buy whould be great and this forum helped alot so far and if any one wants to IM me my sn is yoyoer232 sry for the long post ive posted a pic of my car too

Name:	Pn35925.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	309697  
Old 08-14-2005, 07:43 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

If this is the RTR version you need to up grade your differential gears. If it is the .18SS it should all read have the heavy duty gears in them. It looks like the RTR. All so these are not gas vehicles they are fuel vehicles. They run fuel and there is not any gas in the fuel. Sorry but I hate when people call them gas vehicles as they are not. To me it is like calling RC trucks toys when they are model trucks not toys. Welcome to the form.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:50 PM
46u

Here are some links
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJYM2&P=Z
You will need 2 one for the front and one for the rear.
Not sure if the MT2 comes with the pot metal or cast metal bevel gears but I would get a set of these all so and one set will do both front and back.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBTA4&P=Z
I would all so recommend getting a failsafe to guard against run a ways.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:59 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: jonnayjonnay

Hey, just curious if anyone has put a supercharger on an MT2, would something like this work? => http://rbinnovations.com/catalog/pro...products_id/80
Do a search and you will see they are nothing more then eye candy. It is hard to force air and fuel in an engine where the intake and exhaust port are open at the same time as most of the mixture goes right out the pipe. There are MUCH better ways to spend your money.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:11 PM

I second 46U's comments!!!
Old 08-14-2005, 09:14 PM

I was just wondering what gear ratios to go with? I am running my stock gears on my 18SS kit and I really want alot more low end grunt.[:@][>:] It just seems to be lacking at the bottom end, which is not a strong point with the 18SS motor. It has alot of mid and high range just not on takeoff. I am wanting to get a OS 18 CV-RX but till I free up some cash, gears would be cheapest. So any help with gear ratios would help and if you have them drop the parts url link in here too please.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2005, 09:15 PM

hey thanx and yea i have the rtr version and sry botu the gas thing im usally use to wrokin on reg. car and tucks and i agree on u wit it and the toys thign too i have them ones on order allready should be here fri i striped the bak all ready umm but i have the whole car apart cuz it needed to eb cleaned and i wanted to see how it works and **** umm what hop up s should i get ill probly start puttin alum. on it soon as far as perfromace hop ups im nto to sure bout them yet i just got the truck and i need to get use to it first but any in put whould be great and sry for the miss spellings its like 10:15 here and i havent slept in like 3 days so thanx for in put so far
Old 08-14-2005, 09:19 PM

There is a spell checker you can use built right into the posting
Old 08-15-2005, 10:26 AM

Nitro_Nut:

I am running 14/52. Great combo of power and speed. The only problem is that the clutch bell uses the needle bearing instead of the savage style real bearings. With the 15/47 of the SS is geared too high for the torque of the engine.

If I could only find the link to Speed Munkey's spreadsheet for final drive ratio's. Sweet calculator, just plug in your tire size, diff gears and spur/clutch bell and the thing would tell you if you were tuned for torque or speed, but as with most of the stuff I have found - I have lost it.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:46 AM

hi I'm having a problem with my mt2 it has the stock t15 engine at the moment. the problem is that it keeps overheating and cutting out. can anybody help please.. thanks[]
Old 08-15-2005, 10:54 AM

Well, i went to my first race as HPI challenge Delaware event. I was doing good in both qualifiers but both times my CVD pin loosened and caught the spring on the suspension. Then i would lose control and i would have to take the truck back to the pits. After the second qualifier i had to find out what the problem was before the A-main. I figured it out and it was that i didn't use threadlock on the CVD pin that holds it together.

I qualified 8th on the A-main and i just went slow and steady and i didn't crash once, then i sped up at the end and won the event. I got an R40 for winning.

rccrazynut: You probably have it set way to lean. If its too lean the engine will flame out and overheat. Richen it untill it runs how you want it to.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:14 AM

congrats on the win !!
Old 08-15-2005, 12:40 PM

MT2 Beater:

Great Job.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:12 PM

Grantothismo:
From what I can gather from my build manual my SS kit is a 15/49 ratio. Mine does have a regular ball bearing on the inside and outside of the 15t clutch bell, and I am not sure what others are using. Anyone else with some info or links would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-15-2005, 05:36 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Hello Everyone

I just cleaned up the basement little bit and put all my RC cars on one shelf and took some pictures of them.

Starting on the top shelf left to right

RC10 T2 JR XR2i AM remote
Kyosho Inferno 7.5 RTR (this is my friends car I am fixing it for him)
Losi XXX BK JR XR3i FM Remote
RC10 B4 Airtronics MX3 FM remote

HPI MT2 with a big Block .21 in it Standard HPI Airtronics AM remote (just won this off Ebay 2 weeks ago)
HPI MT2 18SS Futaba FM remote (some mods done)
HPI MT setup for the street with a 2 speed JR XR2i AM remote (Lots of mods done)
HPI MT2 (Nothing special standard RTR truck getting ready to sell it)

Team Associated TC3 Airtronics MX3 FM remote
Kyosho Ultima (1990 Version the one that beat the RC10 in the early 90's)
Original RC10 with stealth trans JR XR3i FM remote(Frankenstien car with RC10GT arms and B4 rear hubs)
Kyosho Inferno (Early version Not sure what year I am getting it ready for sale)

I got 3 more HPI MT/MT2's in the boxes on bottom self that have to be built and sold, another Losi XXX standard buggy to build and sold, 1 brand new original RC10 Stealth car to built to be a self queen.

I just thought I would share that with you guys.

Name:	Ge96075.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	310544  
Old 08-16-2005, 02:18 AM

Hi. New to the rcuniverse forums. I havent built an RC car since 1997 (HPI Nitro Mini!!). I just got the itch again and decided to get some HPI cars.
I started putting the HPI MT2 18SS kit together tonight. I ordered a few "hop-up" parts with the kits (thanks to advice from this thread)

I noticed in the HPI 2-Speed kit for the MT that the set screws for the shaft were missing. The ones used on the stock unit wont work correctly
with the new shaft.. Does this sound normal or did I go about this incorrectly?
Also, what other mods would I need to handle a 4.6 BB upgrade? Is there a kit that will accept this motor?
these are the mods I ordered with the truck along with a two speed trans.

Another newbie question, the JR radio I got.. Is it ok? or should I use it for the Nitro RS4-3 ? Servos OK?
One last thing, what exhaust pipe are you guys upgrading to? I dont like the composite one either. Im really hoping to have this car together and
the bugs worked out before Labor day. My friends are taking their sand rails to the cinders in Flagstaff AZ. Ill have my own toy (minus 49,500$$)
thanks for any help you guys can provide
Old 08-16-2005, 04:05 AM

the_owl
first off welcome. Wow you had a bit off money laying around to go get all of that. Looks like your on the right path to have alot of fun. I dont know what you are going to do with your MT2 but I have read alot of people saying to stay away from the 2 speed. It all depends on how you are gonna drive it,on road is ok but backyard bashing and racing isnt so good. I have heard that the 2 speed will only stress the MT2 drive train such as coming off a jump with the throtle on. Maybe someone else in here can give some info on this too.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:43 AM

Thanks guys. Yea, well i like racing better than bashing now. I was sick of destroying parts by jumping skateboard ramps and landing in the street breaking everything. The track i went to is very nice. I'm going to start going down there a lot.

i need help picking out a charger for these 2 batteries:

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFJT1&P=0]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFJT1&P=0[/link] for the mt2

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFJT2&P=0]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFJT2&P=0[/link] for the R40

I would like to have a charger that can discharge to, charge NiCd and NiMH, charge in a half hour or less, is easy to use, and is less than $50.

Would this work for those batteries:

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN4020]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN4020[/link]

If it doesn't it would be nice if you could give a link to one that does work for those.

Thanks guys!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.