Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

HPI MT2 vs. HPI Rush EVO

Old 04-11-2004, 04:32 AM
tjaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI MT2 vs. HPI Rush EVO

I am considering a nitro stadium truck. What I look for is a truck for bashing (no racing). It must be durable, easy to clean, easy to maintain and easy to run and tune (reliable engine). Performance is of lesser importance for me (a nitro is always fast IMO). I am tempted by the HPI's because of the rotostart system. I know that the primary difference between the MT2 and the rush evo is 4WD vs. 2WD. But can anyone tell me how these cars perform according to what I find important (durability, cleaning & maintanence, tuning)?

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. I know that there are a lot of fans of the RC10GT, the XXX-NT and the X-cellerator here, and I am looking into these as well, but please stay on-topic in this thread
Old 04-11-2004, 06:25 AM
Gabrill

Default RE: HPI MT2 vs. HPI Rush EVO

Handling-wise, the 4wd works much better. The downside is that maintenece seams to triple when you go from 2wd to 4wd. Take your pick.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:01 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto what Gabrill said. The 4WD is more fun to drive, but requires more work to keep up. Nothing major, but it is a factor. I have had an original Rush and now have an MT2. These particular HPI offerings have some innovative things, like enclosed receivers and battery boxes. This makes them a bit more involved to wrench on than, say, an RC-10, which has everything exposed out in the open.

The RotoStart is great. I like it so much that I'm going to get my grandson a Rush EVO to replace his RC-10, which is about slap wore out.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:04 AM
ICrashThings

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

Ditto what Gabrill said. The 4WD is more fun to drive, but requires more work to keep up. Nothing major, but it is a factor. I have had an original Rush and now have an MT2. These particular HPI offerings have some innovative things, like enclosed receivers and battery boxes. This makes them a bit more involved to wrench on than, say, an RC-10, which has everything exposed out in the open.

The RotoStart is great. I like it so much that I'm going to get my grandson a Rush EVO to replace his RC-10, which is about slap wore out.

yea RC10GT does have a few things exposed...a few hop ups can fix that though.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:32 AM
hondapride59
My Feedback: (2)

liek icrash said teh rc10gt does have a few things exposed but whats 10-20 bucks for a battery box and a reciever box, nothing beats a quality car for the price of the rtr...i mean i have nothing against hpi, but the roto start may be good if you are gonna sit on your porch and drive your car but when you are out in teh middle of the woods you dont want to be haulin pieces of equipment around that you dont need, so really a pull start is good for that reason alone. and you dont need batterys and a charger for a pull start(mor emoney to waste IMO) but for bashin i guess it is an alrigth truck, still everywhere i see it it is liek 10-15 dollars more than the rc10gt plus rtr which comes with everything except gas
Old 04-11-2004, 03:06 PM
ICrashThings

ORIGINAL: hondapride59

liek icrash said teh rc10gt does have a few things exposed but whats 10-20 bucks for a battery box and a reciever box, nothing beats a quality car for the price of the rtr...i mean i have nothing against hpi, but the roto start may be good if you are gonna sit on your porch and drive your car but when you are out in teh middle of the woods you dont want to be haulin pieces of equipment around that you dont need, so really a pull start is good for that reason alone. and you dont need batterys and a charger for a pull start(mor emoney to waste IMO) but for bashin i guess it is an alrigth truck, still everywhere i see it it is liek 10-15 dollars more than the rc10gt plus rtr which comes with everything except gas
they dont make a enclosed battery box for the GT yet, unless you are like me and go make one yourself...but yea, for a RTR the rc10gt isnt too shabby for like a what? 10+ year old truck? but hpi seems to be the "new kid" in town so whatever.[&:]
Old 04-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Grantothismo

To keep to topic, I have a MT2 and love it. It is easy to tune, just keep leaning it out to 250 degrees and after that just keep running it. I have put about 20 tanks through the thing and it just keeps getting better. I have not had a single problem with the truck. No stripped spurs, no idle problem none of the stuff that almost scrared me from the truck. I am glad that I went with HPI, because the quality is top notch.

I changed out the radio system, didn't like the Airtronics and refilled the shocks since I have had it.

That is it.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:01 AM
Nitro Napalm

This seems to be a good solid topic. I was new to the nitro hobby, it looked pretty daunting at first but as i started to look at the models and different ranges my eye fixed on the HPI range. Simply because (no offense to everyone else) they looked more 'professional' ... the simple fact that the battery and such was enclosed made it better - i would think the RC10 would have wires wrapped together rather than clips. I don't know but to me the HPI looks and feels better than the rest of the makes. I have never raced and i wish i could because this truck is the fantastic (MT2) i love it. I've had only 2 problems and ran 20 tanks - 1 problem was the differentials and the other was finding my charger so as you can see it's a good truck. I agree with hondapride - the roto-start is good but is a pain in the ***** to carry around. Apart from that it's a good bashing truck. Personally i think i'll never get a different make of RC...it's HPI all the way with me. I am going to hop it up - but i DO NOT believe in hopping the truck up straight away..[X(] YOU JUST BOUGHT IT WHY WOULD YOU WANNA HOP IT UP! ... anyways i'm gonna add some purple fuel tubing and a better air filter and things like that..nothing major yet...I'm having too much of a good time with it stock...IT FLYS! In my opinion your better off with the 4wd HPI RS4 MT2.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62580.jpg
Views:	1531
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	121341  
Old 04-12-2004, 07:45 AM
tjaf

Thanks everyone for the usefull input. I am thinking very hard about the MT2. The fact that it has an enclosed radio and receiver will make cleaning easier. The extra screws won't bother me. As for the rotostart, well you need to take a fuel bottle, a gascan, a few screwdrivers, ... anyway, and there's still some room left in my backpack I already own a few stickpacks and a charger, so no extra cost is needed. Also, HPI is easier to come by where I live, so the MT2 is in fact cheaper than the RC10GT. I don't want to buy my truck abroad either because of spare parts. It's better IMO to be able to go to your LHS for spare parts and advise than to do everything through a website.

And nitro napalm, rest ashure, I won't be hopping it up soon. I have a nitro on-road wich is 3 years old, still having fun as it is (although I need a new radio), hopping up just asks to much euro's from a poor student
Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 AM
nitroonly

get the rc10 gt it will last you a long long time trust me and there is sh** load of upgrade parts for them!!!!