Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Tips for HPI MT2 owners

Old 05-21-2004, 11:26 AM
tjaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for HPI MT2 owners

Hey,

I have an HPI MT2 and I like it very much. But after searching about it on several forums, I found out it has some flaws. So I thought, maybe I can share what I have found.

- First is the well-known stripping differentials. Problem is that the gears in the diffs are too loose. Problem can easily be solved by placing some shims as explained in [link=http://forum.hpi-europe.com/showthread.php?s=a8e5e74b23723b72c34970961a37bed3&threadid=6982&perpage=15&pagenumber=1]this link[/link].

- Second is the fact that the slipper clutch is assembled wrong. Problem is that part 72233 is assembled upside-down. As a consequence, the spring is too tight, which means that the slipper clutch won't slip. Solution: just put the part in correctly. See [link=http://forum.hpi-europe.com/showthread.php?s=e4ff44728b762eb96aeff4fece3197fd&threadid=6801rl]this link[/link] for more info.

These are 2 stupid flaws which can be remedied very easy. My truck was affected with both. For now, this is all I have found, perhaps someone knows of something else?

Furthermore, does anyone has some tips on adjusment? The only thing I did for now was placing some extra spacers (included in the box) on the rear springs. I found they were a bit too soft. Adding spacers helped somewhat.

So, if you have some tips, let 'm come.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Grantothismo

Default RE: Tips for HPI MT2 owners

Depends on how much money you've got.

Got alot - Get the .18SS engine and change the pinion to a 13(A813) or 14(A814). The .18 has so much more low end power, you do not need to small pinion to get you going.

Got Some - Try the Titanium turnbuckles definately stiffens the chassis and a aluminum flywheel. The flywheel really lets it rev. I have found the stock clutch shoes work as well or maybe better than the racing. They definately have more surface area. Or try a better exaust. I bought the HPI Racing exaust, but I think I might buy the Associated for .15 engines.

Got a little - Get a better air cleaner. The stock one is garbage. I got a Motor Saver. Once installed, its like someone gave you instant horsepower. You will have to lean you engine a little bit after being installed.

If you are crazy like me, get all the stuff and have fun at the track.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:05 PM
HoSticker

Old 01-03-2005, 08:19 PM
wakbrdr

if you get the motorsaver air filter you will have to richen up the HSN not lean it
Old 03-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Brignola85

I have just bought an MT2, totally out of the blue. To tell you the truth I can't even get it started, but the fact that my roto start was busted when I bought it doesn't help. I need to find someone who can teach me how to use the car.

God I sound like such a NOOB!
Old 03-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Grantothismo

Follow the breakin instructions.

The first Two tanks will be hard to keep it running, but put the vehicle up on some blocks and give it a little gas to keep it running. As this instrctions say, start to lean out the top end needle, one to two hours, 1/8 of a turn max at a time until it starts to run better. DO NOT LEAN IT TOO MUCH. Just lean it out until it runs well, should get good amount of blue smoke, but not a bunch of oil coming out of the exaust.

Should run great. I would invest in a temp gauge, should lean it out until it is around 200-230 degrees.

Call HPI about the Roto start - they will replace it, if it was truly broken in shipping.

If you have a good LHS, local hobby store, near you ask them how they typically break in the vehicle. They can be a great resource.

Hope this helps.