Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

hpi rush evo hop-ups

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 08:46 AM
rush basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hpi rush evo hop-ups

I've had my rush evo for 6 months now and its still stock so I'm going to hop it up a bit. I know plenty of stuff to put on it, I just dont know which of it to put on it.

I was thinking of getting some new wheels and masher 2000's - has anyone got any on their rush? does it affect steering performance?

I was also thinking of getting some of the anodized parts from the fastrax millenium range and some engine upgrades. I have the high performance air filter and was wondering whether to get the racing clutch? Is it worth it?

Also I might change the clutch bell and spur gear setup to maximise acceleration. I want it to wheelie[>:]! When i first got at christmas it did wheelie for a couple of weeks, but ive bin tuning it and stuff and now it hasn't since[] even though it runs a bit better now! wot gearing or changes would be needed to make its front end lift like hell?!?

Anyone else got a hopped up rush? Info, tips, advice and pics would be great, just trying to start a general rush thread...
Old 08-10-2004, 11:30 AM
EdsWords

Default RE: hpi rush evo hop-ups

If you are in some rough terrain the Mashers would be good. If you are in dirt/cut grass/street Dirt Hawgs are hard to beat.

For wheelies I suggest you upgrade the engine. Its not your set up or wheels or gearing or shocks that is preventing you from doing wheelies. The T-15 is a nice peice with good low end power that's easy to tune but it's no rocket. I'm surpised you were able to get your Rush to wheelie because I have never come close with mine. It is already geared pretty low, I wouldnt gear it any lower thinking it will help you do wheelies.

If you get a powerfull engine also get a better metal tuned pipe. I have heard good things about the CVEC pipes and you should replace the rear plastic brace with the aluminum one:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZT44&P=Z

That brace combined wit the new Evo's cast engine plate and the raised sides of the chassis result in an extremely rigid platform. I don't think the expensive carbon upper plate helps much at all.

Wheelies are all about horsepower and for that, you need to look at the HPI .15 SS or HPI .18 SS if it will fit.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:55 PM
fantomracer
My Feedback: (1)

i would get new shocks...or just new oil...put 45-50 in the back and 35-40 in the front...thats wat i run anyways...and new shock towers would be nice...also im not sure if the evo has plastice turnbucles but the titanium one would be nice.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:00 PM
rush basher

Thanks for the advice, I'm goin to get some mt mesh wheels and mashers, anodised shock towers and brace for now (and next probaly arms then shock mounts...).

I've been looking at decent engines recently and doing some comparison - hpi 18ss is 1.5 hp, and i'm not sure about the sirio, o.s or wasp 18's (does anyone know there spec?) but picco do a .15 (p1-r .15 re turbo - and no 18's) which is 1.7hp which is pretty damn good looking at the sweet spec (http://www.teampicco.com/ then go on engines at bottom and then bottom bullet point of the p1's on the left), looks a nice engine (what do you think?). But whatever I decide I'll have to leave it till christmas anyway, I cant be bothered to save up and maresawell see the year out with the t-15 (give it a bit of bashin!).

Have you got a rush? Have u got anything decent on it?
Old 08-12-2004, 06:19 PM
EdsWords

I have a Rush Evo with following:

CDV's - Definately worth it
Ball Diff - Needs a rebuild but super smooth when working properly
Carbon Fiber Front Shock Tower - Definately worth it, no more flex
Carbon Fiber Rear Shock Tower - Not worth it, brakes easily
High Performance Air Cleaner - A must have
Aluminum Rear Brace - Helps a lot
Carbon fiber upper plate - Not really worth it. Removed it.
Fibre Disc Brake - Much better than the stock plastic thing
Stainless suspension shaft kit - Last longer than stock perform the same
Racing Gas Tank - No primer, seals better
HPI Metal Tuned Pipe - Seems to add power, but it is expensive (almost 50 dollars)

I am planning on getting:
.12-.15 Racing Engine with at least 1 hp and 35,000 rpms
14t clutch bell
Turnbuckes
High Speed Corleess Steering Servo
Super Shocks

I am trying to set mine up for racing.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:00 PM
rush basher

Any one else out there got a hopped up rush? post any advice or tips... or pics.

I've got the high performance air filter, decent purple heatsink head (and soon hpi mt mesh wheels, mashers, carbon brake disc and some anodized stuff) and I'm thinking of getting the racing clutch - has anyone else got one? are they good? worth it?

What engine should I get for my rush evo? picco p1-r .15 re turbo looks awesome, hpi 18ss looks o.k (compared with the picco and other .18 engines), anyone got any specs or opinions on the o.s, sirio, or wasp .18 engines? there the best 4 I know of, any other decent ones?
Old 08-14-2004, 07:24 AM
cousingrandpa

Here is a link to A post I posted a short while back. I have the mashers & I like them for bashing better than any other tires I have had on my truck.
Here's the list of parts on my rush,
Titanium upper & lower chassis,
Wasp .12 se/ps engine,
GPM aluminum shock towers & rear chassis brace,
HPI ball differential, RS4-3 racing fuel tank, Heavy duty middle tranny gear, aluminum rear uprights,
Dynomite pipe,
Duratrax shocks,
Lundsford & HPI titanium turnbuckles,
RC10GT steering bell cranks,
MIP shinny CVDs,
aluminum clutch,
Masher tires,
Ofna fuel filter/primer,
Robinson racing Savage steel spur gear & clutch bell.
I think that covers it.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/The_tail_of_titanium_nitro_rush/m_2062417/tm.htm]Tail of titanium nitro rush[/link]
Old 08-15-2004, 11:36 AM
rush basher

Nice rush! That titanium chassis and upper deck look awesome! I always thought that carbon fibre would smash at hard impacts - amazing for on-road cars, but crap for off road.

The engine and pipe looks sweet too. How much was that engine and pipe and whats your top speed now?

Do you race it or just bash it?
Old 08-15-2004, 04:35 PM
cousingrandpa

The engine was about $150 & I am looking to replace the pipe, I just haven't decided which one I want yet. The dynomite pipe I have is good with the stock engine but it restricts the wasp .12. I'm not shure about my top speed but its way faster than stock.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:04 AM
rush basher

Has anyone else got a hopped up rush? post any pics or info...
Old 09-02-2004, 10:15 PM
EdsWords

I have a couple of worthwile Rush Evo Upgrades:

Diff Springs:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZT47&P=Z
I installed diff springs instead of re-building my ball diff. The springs made the diff action much more positlve. They appear to be able to perform about as well as a ball diff for about 7 dollars!

MT2 Rear Shocks:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFYP7&P=Z
They helped cure the sagging rear end stance of the Rush. Combined with the firmer MT2 blue springs have helped my Rush handle a lot better. The extra suspension travel improved stability in the rough sections of our track.

I have ordered the optional racing clutch and will let you know if its any good.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:12 PM
rush basher

Cool, I like them shocks, they look quite nice. Diff springs sound good to.

I was going to buy the racing clutch today from my lhs but after I got a load of little things that I needed and some fuel I realised I hadnt got enough![:@] I'll wait to see what you think now.

Post a picture of your rush - sounds quite good.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:54 PM
EdsWords

Ask, and ye shall receive!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17765.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	170080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83134.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	170081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44790.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	170082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29919.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	170083  
Old 09-05-2004, 01:40 PM
rush basher

Nice truck. Wheels and Tires look good, And that pipe looks nice too. I saw the hpi high performance air filter and remembered the problem I have with mine.

You know the hpi high performance air filter - does it improve speed or not? I know its a stupid question and an obvious answer - its just that my lhs don't stock it because they said it makes your car go slower!?!? the man in there knows what hes on about but I think hes wrong on that one! so I got this team magic one that looks pretty good (about 3cm high and about 2 cm diameter) buts pretty crap because it doesnt fit properly. It hasnt got any extension at all - just a tiny lip - so I got some 1/10th air filter adapters with it. It fits on the carb fine but the adapter slips up though the air filter a bit so I put a cable tie on but its still not that secure and it sticks up quite high. I think the filters more 1/8th than 1/10th! it doesnt say what its meant for but the 1/10th air filter they had in was crap. Long story, little problem! but the bottom line is I was wondering to get a hpi one off the internet.

And if I had a digital cam I'd post some pics, but I have'nt. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:58 PM
EdsWords

I didn't even try the stock air filter. It is very restrictive. The high performance air filter will not necessarily add a lot of power, but I think it helps a little. An egnine needs to breathe. The more air that gets in, the more power is made. So yes, I feel it will increase speed - slightly.

I also installed the racing clutch and it made the car much easier to drive.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:42 PM
rush basher

Thanks I'l probaly get that hpi air filter next week.

Has the racing clutch got different settings (you know the different holes to mount it on)? If not does it improve speed or accelleration? If it has have you tried them out yet and what difference to top speed or acceleration does it make over the stock one?
Old 09-07-2004, 09:31 PM
EdsWords

The racing clutch does have 3 holes:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLW03&P=Z

The instructions advise that if you use the middle hole, you need to cut off the extra clutch that is not needed. I opted to use the first hole (the entire clutch) because the instructions explained that would allow the clutch to engage at a lower speed and would make the car accellerate smoothly.

If you were to use the 3rd hole, the clutch would not engage until higher rpm and it would engae abrubtly making the car difficult to drive under hard accelleration.

The stock clutch is much like the racing clutch at the 3rd hole. The stock clutch also slips alot too (at least mine did).
Old 09-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Tucker01

I'm just upgrading my son's Rush Evo with the following mods:

Heavy duty middle gear
Anodised heavy duty hub
Fibre brake disc
Steel diff gear set
Diff spring kit (using silver spring)
Heavy duty 13T clutch bell with two ballraced bearings
Spur gear fitted with 11x5x4mm ballraced bearing
MIP CVD's
Aluminium rear brace
Nitro racing clutch (hole 2)
Heavy duty diff cups
(so that's the tranmission pretty well beefed up)
Titanium turnbuckles
Sway bar set
Blue springs all round (still not right so I'm going to try purple for the rear, and maybe yellow for the front)
Aluminium rear wheel hex clamps

I've also balanced all the wheels (using blutack), they spin so much better now.

So far all the mods have been performance based, but I'm thinking of treating myself to a purple anodised head from crazynutracing. Also should really get the HPI Motor saver air filter too, and I'm planning on upgrading the servos to at least Hitec 635's.

It's actually in pieces right now while I rebuild it, I'll post some pics when it's done.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:44 AM
EdsWords

Tucker, I am Ed237 in the other forum. We have a lot of similar hop ups. I also got the aluminum hex heads and they are a huge improvement over the plastic ones.

I struggled with my shocks too. You may want to get new teflon pistons for inside your shocks. I used the ones with the smallest holes for my rear shocks and they made a big difference:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN165&P=Z

I ultimately decided to give up on the stock rear shocks and I installed the ones from the HPI MT2 with MT2 blue springs . They provided more travel and with the aforementioned teflon pistons provided excellent dampening:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFYP7&P=Z

I have been thinking about servos too and I am probably going to get a Hitec 625 high speed servo.

Are you going to be racing your Rush?
Old 09-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Tucker01

Hi again Ed,

Just out of interest, which ally hex set do you have (HPI do 3)? I have the set listed as an option for the MT2 (which uses the same wheels), but I find the wheels don't seem to fit on them that well (that might just be because the wheel hexes are a bit worn).

I've certainly got the Teflon pistons down on my 'to do list', I'll order them when I order the puprle/yellow springs.

They provided more travel
. Did you not find the standard rear shocks gave too much 'up-travel', so much so that the dog bones/CVD's bind on the diff output shafts. The reason I have the Rush (which is in fact my eldest sons car) is because he snapped 'one leg' off one of the diff outlet shafts. I've cured this problem by limiting travel with some fuel tubing over the shock shaft.

I've kinda decided on a Hitec 635HD for the brake/throttle (could definitely use more torque on the braking side of things), and a 625MG with Kimbrough heavy duty servo saver (they recommend only to use this on metal geared servos).

We won't be racing the Rush, I'm just trying to make it into a good reliable basher. I think for racing it would be a whole lot easier to start off with an Associated RC10GT. Have you raced yours yet?
Old 09-10-2004, 10:45 PM
EdsWords

Tucker,

I got the aluminum hex heads that also fit the MT2 hpi part #86300 and my wheels fit over them just right. I especially like the screws that tighten the hex head down and lock the drive pin in place.

The stock rear shocks were a real weak point on the Rush. They just compressed way to easily which caused a lot of bottoming out. I also had a problem with the end of one of my cvd's breaking off inside the diff cup, but I never attributed it to the shocks, but now that you mention it, the old shocks may have contributed to the problem.

I am also with you the Hitec servos, but I would rather have a 625mg high speed servo for the throttle/brake too. I am still running the original slow and weak stock servo on my throttle/brake and it is it has sufficient power to apply the brakes. I just wish it was more responsive. I also like your idea about an aftermarket servo saver. The stock one definately gives way too much.

I have raced my Rush 3 times now with out much success. I am racing against Losi XXXNTs, a RC10GT, a Kyosho Ultima and a Mugen. I checked out the other turcks carefully and I have concluded that the Rush's main weakness is its weight. I could buy every Carbon Fiber part and it would still be too heavy. But, I have never finnished last because the Rush is reliable as rain.

To put it into perspective, I am racing against experienced people who have tents, pit boxes, tables, and well sorted out vehicles. I have 2 stools, a 2' x '4 peice of plywood and a folding chair. and a $270 RTR vehicle. But everyone has been great and helpfull and no one has been negative towards me or the Rush. I have learned a lot too.

Perhaps with a couple more improvements I can compete with the other trucks. I just got around to installing metal turnbuckles. I had no idea how much those plastic things were bending until I removed them. I am sure they were costing me time at the track.

If you have ever get the opporunity to race do it because it is so much fun. I don't bash nearly as much as I used to and if I do, it's to work out bugs or test a new part.

- Ed
Old 09-11-2004, 06:34 AM
cousingrandpa

For racing you guys might want to try the HPI graphite upper chassis plate. It saves alot of weight, more than you would think, Huge difference. I use the titanium one because I bash mine hard & need the strength over weight saving, But for racing the graphite one makes a huge difference.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:18 AM
mujiland

Here are some pics of rush evo. Proud to introduce my new chevy silverado body

Hop-ups includes: super shock set front and rear with soft/yellow springs upfront, medium/black springs rear, graphite upper deck, rear & front shock towers, aluminum rear brace, carbide ball differential, high-performance air-filter, proline velocity front & rear wheels, proline snake eyes M3 and the edge M3 tires, MIP shiny CVDs... think that's about it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59541.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	172132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63216.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	172133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20054.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	172134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53252.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	172135  
Old 09-11-2004, 09:43 AM
EdsWords

CousinGrampa I have the carbon fiber top plate, but removed it because it didnt seem to make much difference to me. Perhaps I should reconsider. Anybody else have one? and if so, did it make any difference?

Mujiland, That is a great paint job. Simple and clean. I like it. I see you also have a bunch of hop ups and the aforementioned carbon fiber upper plate. Did it make any difference to you?

Ed
Old 09-11-2004, 09:55 AM
rush basher

Cool, that looks decent with that bodyshell and wheels. Are those daecals on the shell or have you used templates? It looks well decent.

Is that air filter the hpi one cus I'm having a bit of a dispute with my lhs as youve probaly seen in earlier posts. Does it improve performance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.