Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

Official Traxxas Nitro Sport Thread!!

Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Official Traxxas Nitro Sport Thread!!

Old 09-22-2006, 09:43 PM
chrobar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Traxxas Nitro Sport Thread!!

Hey guys, i just got my new Nitro Sport today and i'm exited to get it running. Anyways, i decided to start a new thread on it!! So, lets hear your Nitro Sport stories!
Old 09-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Blackfoot
Banned

Default RE: Official Traxxas Nitro Sport Thread!!

The Sport is a good solid machine. One of my favorite bashers. The one I have is converted to a 2.5R. Shes been a faithful member of the family for 2 years now. I had to build a wheelie bar for it just to keep it on its wheels. The only issue Ive ever had with it was I just broke a shock tower 2 weekends ago. I was doin some hardcore bashing in the local gravel pit and did about 20+ cartwheels. It broke the rear shock tower on the right side. I keep on going with her that way for another 2 tanks of gas. Thats 2 more tanks of fuel than I can run my Evader without it breaking down and it was broken and still going strong, LOL

I dont care what all the Losi, AE, Duratrax or HPI guys say. Traxxas makes the most reliable and toughest RC's Ive ever owned or seen. Ive had more problems with the Evader Nitro I bought 2 months ago then Ive ever had with all the Traxxas products Ive ever owed combined in the past 4 years.

Im looking for another Sport roller that I can pull the electronics and the DTX .18(the only good thing about my duratrash, its a very strong motor) and make a faster truck then the 2.5R conversion. I dont race, I have absolutely no interest in it. I would rather get my buddy, his 2 sons and my 2 sons together and go out to our Gravel Pit and tear sh*t up hardcore!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:27 PM
chrobar

Great, i hope mine will be just as tough as yours. Do you have any tips on the truck cuz this is my first ever nitro.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Blackfoot
Banned

Run it rich for awhile. Keep it rich through the first gallon. Replace the rear tires and get something that works good off road and on road. I recommend the Losi Smashers.
They hook on and off road excellent. I even get wheelies with all my Trucks in wet grass. Run 20% fuel. Traxxas fuel is great stuff, no matter what they say. The 1.5 pro should last you an easy 4-5 gallons without any problems. I have one that has run 9 gallons untill I rebuilt it.

Keep it clean, thats the most important thing to do next to using after run oil, which can be substituted with WD-40. Pull the glow plug when your ready to put it up for the day, roll the motor to bottom of the stroke and squirt some in the hole, screw the plug back in and put her up for the day. When your ready to run again, pull the plug crank it over and remove as much of the after run as possible. Stuff the plug back in and run it. To keep it clean, use an air compressor and blow gun. Do not blow the air filters with air. Get a pack of extra filters and oil them, keep them in a ziplock bag and at the beginning of each days play, or when they get dirty, replace them with fresh ones. to clean them, use warm/hot soapy water and rinse them real good. Let them airdry then add air filter oil, squeeze the oil througout the filter and put them in a bag for use later.

Cut a hole in the windshield, this will allow for more airflow and make refuling the tank alot easier. Also, put a ziptie on the tank lid and let it stick out the windshield, this will alow you to refuel without having to remove the body. I also cut a rectangle hole in the rear of the body above the motor, so its open like a real truck bed, this allows the hot air to escape from the motor better. For winter bashing, which is my favorite time of year, get another body and dont open it up much, just a hole for fuel and a small hole above the motor. I run these tires on the rear.

and these Du-Bro skis on the front.

Most importantly, Have FUN. Dont let the Traxxas haters disuade you from Traxxas. They are an excellent RC. They are great for bashing and having fun without breaking the pocket book from maintence and upkeep.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:27 PM
nitro-slug

i agree traxxas is excelent my old sport has out lasted my hpi rush which alway broke haha one thing i would recomend is to chage the rear shock tower to a aluminum one as they can brake on heavy landings but have fun as its a great truck
Old 09-24-2006, 09:05 AM
Blackfoot
Banned

All of my traxxas have outlasted my other brands, my OFNA is a good machine, the only issue I has was i didnt set the mesh correctly in the rear diff and stripped the ring and pinion. OFNA sent me new parts, I also broke the recoil, the bigblock .26 has alot of compression. Shes a beasty that takes a serrious beating and loves every minute of it! The Duratrax Evader Nitro, thats a pile of crap. When I get it running its only a matter of time before I have to yank an axle and tighten the diff, what a joke. 3 diff gears and a spur gear later, I decided to go aluminum to fix the problem, it worked but still has to be adjusted every few tanks, what a crappy design. Ive never had to adjust anything but the suspension and carb on any of my 5 TRAXXAS products. They are reliable and take one hell of a whooping! Just add fuel, hit the EZ Start and head out for some hardcore bashing. The Losi Aftershock is a good machine, the only issue Ive had was the one way bearing in the 2 spped trans and a throttle servo horn stripping. Its fun to drive, but I find myself running my 1.5 Tmaxx more, just coz its 6 years old and Ive only had to replace the 1 way in the EZ start. Its the best Ive ever owned. Its on its 5th gallon, still runs strong and keeps a cool 190 degrees.

The only reason I went with something other than my Loved Traxxas, is I have all the cool models except the REVO, which will be my next buy, and said, well if TRAXXAS is supposed to be such junk, the big names must be alot better, YEAH RIGHT! The biggest reason everyone hates Traxxas is because they cant race them out of the box legally. I dont race, so I dont care. The other brands are high maintence and low profit when it comes to just bashing. Thats my opinion due to experiance. RCing is about fun, not how much $ and time you need to spend getting them running and keeping them going.

TRAXXAS ROCKS!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 09:33 AM
MetallicaJunkie

im very pleased to hear yu have positive experiences w traxxas it makes me feel better about my new 3.3 jato. my brother has a 2.5 rusty and s far the nly thing hat has brken was the rear shock tower he drives it conservatively but still for almost 3 years thats not bad.

TRAXXAS ROCKS!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Blackfoot
Banned

Cool, both are awsome machines. I have the 2.5 JATO and a 2.5 Rustler, along with a Nitro Sport that I put a 2.5R on. Its one of my favorites. I bash the hell out of it and it loves every second of it. The gravel pit that I mainly bash on, there is a dirt hill about 15 foot high, I have easily cleared 10 foot over it numerous times and never broke a part. The worst thing that happened to my Sport is I was full out, about 40-45ish and hit a 1/2 burried rock, it cartwheeled a good 20 times and broke the rear shock tower. I continued to run it 2 more tanks before I shut it down and got out the Jato for some bashing fun. Ive yet to break anything on the JATO, im a lil nicer to it then my Sport, but still jump it and tear sh*t up.

I dont even bother taking my Evader Nitro out to the pit. I know it couldnt handle 1/8th of what any of the TRAXXAS can do. Besides, Im there to have fun, not piss with tuning and getting upset that its a pile of donkey squat.

TRAXXAS ROCKS!!!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 05:44 PM
dannthenitroman

Ok guys with the sports, in terms of handling, first is first, put the rear shocks in the second from the inside hole on the bottom and add 5mm of fuel tube as shock limiters front and rear, that will help a HUGE amount. if anyone is serious about custom mods ask me because i have some plans somewhere that i never got around to to make the sport the a race car with a difference, it will actually survive a race haha

Traxxas does Rock, ie anyone driven a new 3.3 revo .. WOW !

Dann
Old 09-24-2006, 05:47 PM
dannthenitroman

clarification on the above post, ive got some shocktower mods and a new chassis plan that takes gt steering and lowers cg heaps and the towers will give it decent geometry.

Dann
Old 09-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Blackfoot
Banned

I Hope to get the 3.3 REVO before the snow falls. Ive been drooling over them for too long. I should have saved the $ I put into the Evader[sm=drowning.gif]

Id lovee to see those plans, if its possible Dann. Let me know, Thanks.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:03 PM
dannthenitroman

Well i dont have the drawn up on the pc but the difference is the front shocktower is not as wide, it is 5mm taller and the shocks are only 20mm apart, and the rear tower is 10 mm taller and also 8 mm wider each side, this as based on the FT GT geometry and will delete most of the excessive droop that makes the sport spin out during constants radius corners and tightening corners. Then the chassis is similar but slimmer and has only a very small carbon upper deck and the full gt steering rack bolts in again giving it much better steering geometry.

Dann
Old 09-24-2006, 06:05 PM
dannthenitroman

the chassis is gt based alloy and 4mm thick but it has all the stock strong or rpm if you wish arms and the super strong gearbox. which is the best part.

Dann
Old 09-25-2006, 10:53 PM
chrobar

Hey everyone, i have a stock nitro sport and i wanted to know what would be some good hop ups or mods. I might race for fun but not seriously. So, any suggestions???
Old 09-26-2006, 05:41 PM
dannthenitroman

Thre main thing is new shocktowers, the carbon fibre ones are by far the best, and as i prolly already said, add 5mm of fuel tubing to the shock shafts as droop limiters.

Dann
Old 09-27-2006, 02:45 PM
twoca

yes the nitro sport is the greatest ever i had mine for about 4 years now i just use it for bashing around my local park and bmx track
in the 4 years i'v had it i'v crashed it loads and only ever broke 1 shock tower
but now my trx .15 engine has died so i'm looking for a new 1 can anyone tell my if this engine will fit it
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=23058
or can someone surgest an alternitive engine as i can only aford to spend upto £80 uk pounds on a new 1

many thanks
twoca
Old 09-27-2006, 06:26 PM
dannthenitroman

nosram isnt a bad company but there are more noteable ones. an OS12 cv would be great but you will have trouble fitting one that is pullstart there. anyone here know what pullstart engine bolt in? ive always used bumpstart.

Dann
Old 09-27-2006, 06:29 PM
dannthenitroman

Ok i just had a look at it. its actually a rebadged LRP engine. or visa versa.. but yes it is a very good engine and is high quality, when you get it you will need to cut the crankshaft shorter and also maybe to minimal dremelling to fit the pullstart. but wait for someone else to affirm this.

Dann
Old 09-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Blackfoot
Banned

Put a 2.5R on it. Stay with Traxxas. You have already proved how reliable it has been, and its a simple swap to make. I did it on mine and love it all the more. My 2.5R, rebuilt was only $76 including shipping on eBay. Keep your Traxxas all Traxxas or you will regret it.

Why go through all the mods whey you can have a bad *****, extremely reliable engine almost drop right in?
Old 09-27-2006, 07:51 PM
dannthenitroman

Actually, hes right [X(] jk about the smiley :O

Yeh hes right 2.5r is the best bet for the least money.

Dann
Old 09-27-2006, 10:20 PM
chrobar

You can also trade in the stock pro .15 for a 3.3 right? That would be insane!!![8D]
Old 09-27-2006, 10:27 PM
chrobar

Hey, do you guys think that i could somehow attach a roll bar on my nitro sport? I'd really like to have one for botched jumps.
thx
Old 09-27-2006, 10:45 PM
dannthenitroman

yep its called alluminium or carbon fibre shocktowers

Dann
Old 09-28-2006, 04:06 PM
chrobar

well ok thx. Do the aluminum have various shock mounting positons or are they the same as the stock? Also, i'm trying to change the shock positionbut it looks like i have only two shock mounting places. It seems like i have to have a spacer on the shock tower to be able to set the shocks on a lower setting. Do ya know what i mean, or do you need a pic. thanks!
Old 09-28-2006, 05:27 PM
dannthenitroman

No, in fact there are a few holes on the lower arm in the rear that everyone seems to miss.

Dann

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.