Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 08:47 PM
dwblue00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[ATTACH]2170264[/IMG][ATTACH]2170265[/IMG][ATTACH]2170266[/IMG]
Old 07-05-2016, 08:59 PM
nitro-rob

Sorry, missed this post earlier. The sky is the limit with servos but the SF-1 isn't really that bad, I would focus on a better steering servo. The hitec 625, 645 or 5625 are good options and Savox has a ton of great servos over all price ranges. Anything metal gear. Some guys I know do well with trackstar servos but I don't know what number they run. The SG shaft extender is a simple bolt on and it looks like a normal crank after that. I don't know where to get the adapter but they are common.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:48 PM
dwblue00

Originally Posted by nitro-rob
Sorry, missed this post earlier. The sky is the limit with servos but the SF-1 isn't really that bad, I would focus on a better steering servo. The hitec 625, 645 or 5625 are good options and Savox has a ton of great servos over all price ranges. Anything metal gear. Some guys I know do well with trackstar servos but I don't know what number they run. The SG shaft extender is a simple bolt on and it looks like a normal crank after that. I don't know where to get the adapter but they are common.
I have a savox 1258tg with the aluminum hpi servo horn. I wanted to upgrade the hpi 1 due to it sometimes being slower than it normally is. I ended up going with a Traxxas 2057. The stock engine is okay, have some further tuning to do to try to get more out of it. I was thinking about trying 30% nitro to see how the engine likes it. Right now I'm running 20% O'Donnel. Highest temp I got was about 255 degrees. I was looking at getting a OS .18tz. it has a standard crank but has a rotary carb. I would hate to mess up such a nice engine cutting down the crank. That's why I was asking about the clutch nut adaptor. Traxxas and associated make 1.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:22 AM
Threddersmatelot

Can somebody please offer a permanent solution to the exhaust manifold working loose? I cannot even complete one run now without losing one or both screws. The buggy has only had about 10 tanks through it max. I have tried loctite red even and they still work loose.
Thanks.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:05 PM
slick2500

The best solution I have found is to find longer bolts and put a lock nut on the end of it. Or order a new exhaust, the holes strip out easily in them.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:31 AM
collective itch

just dug mine out, and putting some things on it back together. was going to try and get my os18 tm in, but seems a bit to much work to have it reliably without hacking up the chassis, so will stick to the g3.0. all stock apart form a rpm front bumper.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:06 PM
Croaker73

Default Roto start

I see that this thread is a little slow as of late but I need some assistance and I am hoping someone catches this. I have an HPI firestorm and its a great truck. Been running it for years and I am getting sick and tired of the pull start. Anyone know what root start would work on an OS 18 engine? I have never used one and wanted to get one. Without a hobby store nearby I have to order one and do not want to send it back if I am wrong. I know they need back plates as well so I would need one to match the Roto start. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:39 PM
Croaker73

The motor I have is an o.s. 18cv-rx if that helps. Thanks
Old 10-01-2019, 09:29 PM
nitro-rob

Anyone here? I sold my firestorm years ago and just got one back....going to do things very differently than back then now, less modding and more driving. I picked up a sweet barely used truck recently and am going through it now and upgrading the electronics and installing steering bearings. Is anyone still playing with their storms still?
Old 10-01-2019, 09:46 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't think id see this email notification again never posted much here but lurked. my Nitro Firestorm was my first hobbie grade RC i got back in Feb 2011 don't drive it much anymore. last time was maybe 10-12months back but i still have it and no plans to get rid of her.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:52 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

HPI went under again/bought out again or something. Don’t expect much for awhile. Besides - there are FAR better platforms/options than a Firestorm.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:20 AM
nitro-rob

HPI was bought by Ripmax who went broke and are now owned by a Danish company. They claim a new distribution network and parts are coming. I am crossing my fingers. Didn't re-buy a savage and firestorm (two now) for any other reason than notsalga since they were my first two hobby-grade RC's. I am banking on parts becoming available, but we will see if the HPI line can live on. I thought there wasn't room for two main manufacturers in the long run (hpi and traxxxas about ten years ago were both on top), however, Arrma has proven me wrong. Its a matter of HPI making people excited for their hopefully new product lines and the legacy stuff.

Plan on driving these occasionally and didn't want brushless. I race 10th scale electric onroad and offroad and want to try bashing again and thought it would be fun to rebuild some trucks with my sons.

Been through my new storm and am almost done. I changed the tire inserts to closed-cell, added a few other sets to play with, and am upgrading the electronics to better servos, three-shoe clutch and am replacing the steering bushings with bearings. I also found that the kyosho RT6 shocks I have are a perfect fit and will run them as well.

Pictures to come....
Old 10-02-2019, 08:23 AM
nitro-rob

Originally Posted by echthelion
Didn't think id see this email notification again never posted much here but lurked. my Nitro Firestorm was my first hobbie grade RC i got back in Feb 2011 don't drive it much anymore. last time was maybe 10-12months back but i still have it and no plans to get rid of her.
I felt the same way posting! I bought mine to enjoy very occasionally and shelf mostly. I was learning RC on the firestorm and want to see how I would keep it now (
much less modding, what was I thinking) with intelligent and strategic mods.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:30 AM
nitro-rob

Almost ready. The kyosho shocks went in perfectly with exotek quick change mounts. Just going to check the slipper and bind/ set the electronics. A head heater is coming and then I can start driving.

Last edited by nitro-rob; 10-03-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:44 AM
D3MON

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

man that is a nice truck, always wanted a Firestorm, think i still have the RCCar action magazine when it first came out lol. never ended up getting one because 2wd didnt fit where i would run it. is that the G3.0 engine? ended up picking up a G3.0 for an MGT 3.0, so much power.. still breaking it in too so its not even peak yet.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:08 PM
nitro-rob

It is a g3. I thought I read they changed it to the t3 in the newer versions. I likely will never wear this engine out but if I did i’d Put in an o.s. .18 cv-r. Had one before with a nice pipe and it was a perfect engine. Held a wide tune easily and started so well.

This truck was barely driven riven before I got it. It was very obvious in the rear down
Old 10-03-2019, 01:11 PM
nitro-rob

I had a few mt’s. Good complement to have with the firestorm. I can’t remember what the biker was before hoinreleased it, it had another brand on it before.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:20 AM
D3MON

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

im a bit confused as to what you mean in the last sentence of your post, HPI did release the "Rush Evo" before the Firestorm, which was very similar if not almost exactly the same truck.
those .18cvrs were great engines, had one in my T-maxx before i got rid of it. kind of hard to find nowadays though. have a DTX .18 in my little ST truck, IMO .18 is a lot of engine for a 1/10 2wd ST, kind of wish it was a .15 or something.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:45 PM
nitro-rob

Sorry there was some autocorrect in there. I was referring to the bullet's precursor. I got my storm ready last night and realized I don't have any fuel or a glow ignitor.